General Transfer Talk

Broxi

4 minutes ago, SPWF said:

At 30K a week he’ll offer us better value than certain players who’ve just left who were taking home that wage. 

I get your point and 30k per week for a striker I would not bat an eyelid at but to me 30k a week for a keeper is not good value for money.

8 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I get your point and 30k per week for a striker I would not bat an eyelid at but to me 30k a week for a keeper is not good value for money.

Any other targets good enough would probably cost upwards of £2-3m so you'd end up spending far more on them, even if on a smaller wage.

14 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

A keeper is as vital as a striker. 

Why would you pay 1 position more when both are equally important?

41 minutes ago, onlythestrongsurvive said:

I get that but as said in other posts, he has played for England 9 times (and was around the squad for a few year) and if he turns it on in Europe, teams will take notice.  Doubt Ajax paid £20m for Bassey based on his performances against Motherwell.

Butland needs to start well as at Rangers as we have always had great keepers and expect that.

I think Bassey was bought because of GVB connection to the coaches at Ajax and they trusted his judgement on the player, I think we done well out the deal as he was still very raw.

22 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Whether we rate Coady or not, we shouldn't be spending that kind of cash on a CB when there are other areas of the pitch where we need to spend quite significantly. 

Might need to if davies goes, defensively we cant take a risk on a cheap signing imo

1 hour ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Connor Coady would be our version of Shane Duffy, a siege defender used to being camped in his own half and doesn’t suit our style of play at all. 

What style of play ?

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

Butland will be on good money we will have to make him one of the top earners if he comes.

42 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I’d say it’s the going rate for him & it’s probably taken a fair bit of persuasion & selling from MB to get him on board. 
Only other keeper I can liken it with is Klos who I’m sure we paid rather well to say the least. 

4 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Not every player we bring in needs to fit the sell on model fs. Sometimes you need to bring in a bit of experience Butland will be a good signing for us and if we can get 3 or 4 seasons out him then that’s perfect. To get him on a free is a no brainier be madness not to bring him in.

The point on re-sale was more that I don’t think we’d spend £3 million on Woodman or whatever and then lose that. Not to look to spend specifically to recoup money back.

Butland’s barely played in 3 years so I’m not sure about the no-brainer claim. He may do great for us but has it all to prove.

4 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Could easily still get somewhere below about £5m if Butland has a storming couple of seasons up here.

Doubtful we would get that for a 32 year old outfield player.

We won’t be buying a keeper to sell them if they turn out a success. Don’t agree anyone would pay any level of decent money for a keeper in their 30’s that plays in Scotland either 

1 hour ago, Amokachi said:

I’d say it’s the going rate for him & it’s probably taken a fair bit of persuasion & selling from MB to get him on board. 
Only other keeper I can liken it with is Klos who I’m sure we paid rather well to say the least. 

Klos is probably the highest paid Rangers player ever.