VAR - what needs to change?

theiconicman

It has changed from the initial clear and obvious error instruction to forensically examine every goal and foul.

The only non subjective area is offside or was until a few days ago so basically it is back to opinions from people watching a screen pondering over slow mo’s. Soon the authority and skill of referees will be gone.

The line drawing on offside to a part of mm is nonsense.It would be easier, quicker and better to rule that if any part of the player is onside a goal should stand.

Another thing is why is the handball rule interpreted differently in different countries and even within leagues?

3 hours ago, MisterC said:

The spectators in the stands don't get to hear what's being discussed, it's only on the TV where the fans get to hear it. 

In rugby you can buy a earpiece to hear what the refs saying. Well from my memory it was a common thing a decade or 2 ago, not sure if it is now. 

OT I think the VAR process has got better, certain ones where the ref is told the decision. In high profile games in big stadiums (like Europe), not sure why the ref should have to go to his wee screen no one sees. Put it up on the big screens like rugby and he can chat it through with the TMO. Much better with fans, can see the process and what they're looking at even without audio. Strangely football seems a sport which is so reluctant to accept and adopt what's been successfully done in other sports for years and has to have it's own shite twist, to the detriment of all watching. 

VAR in football I believe ... only covers the more important controversial occurrences during a game... like offside ... penalty claims .... dodgy tackles ... goal line incidents ... and not much more than that .... it has it's purpose.

So I am quite happy with how the technology works and what it does to keep the refs from making "mistakes"  ... and feel that we may overcomplicate the system by introducing rugby type methods ..... which may be right for that particular sport ... but could cause football to be slowed down even more with the to's and fro's of even more hold ups.

In my opinion .... only the VAR technology will change over the years and probably for the better ... but the people who operate the system and make the final decisions are what we have to put more training into ... and awareness of there decisions to be as fair and just as possible ... especially in Scotland ... when a "suspect" referee ... and we do have a few .... makes a blatant wrong call.

🇬🇧

16 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

It was shit when Morelos’s goal was chopped as well but that was the idiots in the var room. It gets a whole lot more right than wrong and it’s easy to cherry pick 

Still gets too many big calls wrong for me. The infuriating cases are when the on field ref decision gets overturned when his original decision was fine. There appears to be a culture where the VAR team are always correct and Ref always wrong. The other area that needs looked at are the decisions the VAR team choose not to get involved in when the majority of people can see the Ref has hot it wrong. You can call it cherry picking but there are a lot of cherries out there. 

19 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Still gets too many big calls wrong for me. The infuriating cases are when the on field ref decision gets overturned when his original decision was fine. There appears to be a culture where the VAR team are always correct and Ref always wrong. The other area that needs looked at are the decisions the VAR team choose not to get involved in when the majority of people can see the Ref has hot it wrong. You can call it cherry picking but there are a lot of cherries out there. 

You must admit it is good when the ref gets called to the monitor then points to the spot with those wonderful three little words ‘Penalty to Rangers’ 👏👏🤣🤣

The stupidity of VAR use is beyond laughable. Clear and obvious, objectivety over subjectivity, its not that difficult. If you have to draw lines to prove millimetres offside then its onside, if you have to freeze frame and do slow motion  tackles then leave it to the referee. I watched two hand ball penalties given in the Man u game last night which were pathetic decisions. It's not VAR it's the inept humans who are spoiling it.

2 hours ago, ianferguson said:

The stupidity of VAR use is beyond laughable. Clear and obvious, objectivety over subjectivity, it’s not that difficult. If you have to draw lines to prove millimetres offside then its onside, if you have to freeze frame and do slow motion  tackles then leave it to the referee. I watched two hand ball penalties given in the Man u game last night which were pathetic decisions. It's not VAR it's the inept humans who are spoiling it.

But isn’t the problem that a line always needs to be drawn somewhere. And so it’s always going to be controversial. Even if you lower the bar for intervention, then you’re still going to have people arguing whether it meets whatever threshold you define.

For me whatever “fairness” we’ve gained absolutely doesn’t outweigh the enjoyment for me. 

I’ll take a few decisions against us and vice versa over a season to be able to celebrate a goal without worrying about it being chalked off 

20 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Id make it like tennis, each team gets 3 uses, once you have used your 3 them tough shit even if its a blatent wrong decision

This. I can’t understand why football have looked at all the other sports and not seen this would be the best way to implement it.

There is probably some merit in stuff that can normally be definitively checked (eg offside or was the ball out of play) and where the replays are not conclusive the on field decision stands. Everything else is up to the manager / captain to challenge.

The problem with “clear and obvious” is that in itself it is subjective. I keep going back to Desser’s goal vs them. The way it is currently set up I can understand why VAR have flagged it up by the letter of the law but at the time the ref hadn’t seen anything wrong and (from what I can remember) they weren’t claiming for a foul so in my opinion that is not clear and obvious.

Making it a challenge based system would take away the needlessly looking to see if there are any fouls.

1 hour ago, OrangeRab said:

But isn’t the problem that a line always needs to be drawn somewhere. And so it’s always going to be controversial. Even if you lower the bar for intervention, then you’re still going to have people arguing whether it meets whatever threshold you define.

For me whatever “fairness” we’ve gained absolutely doesn’t outweigh the enjoyment for me. 

I’ll take a few decisions against us and vice versa over a season to be able to celebrate a goal without worrying about it being chalked off 

I don't think it needs to - the rules were not developed for computer technology but for a guy running alongside the players and looking across the pitch. If you want to bring computers into it then you need to clarify the rules. I also like the idea you don't slowmo and freeze frame for decisions, if it takes that level of scrutiny then move on. It creates differences in rules being applied - VAR is forensic while anything not VAR is dealt with by the ref, once, at full speed. It's mental.

I reckon it should only be used for offside, seeing if ball is over line and violent conduct. The rest should be up to the referee. Give them back some kind off authority.

On a side note I can’t believe pundits are saying Baldys red card was 100% not a red. Even if someone thinks is not a red, surely they can understand why it’s been given. 

18 hours ago, NitshillBear said:

Don't show slow motion replays. Show the incident at full speed as many times as it takes, but don't slow it down and freeze frame on the point of impact. If you can't comprehend whether something is a red at full speed you shouldn't be a ref.

I don't mind slow motion, freeze framing it should be banned though, can make any challenge look horrendous with a still.