New striker needed

scottyc06

6 hours ago, SteveEarle said:

January is a shit transfer window to do serious business but there surely has to be a reasonably top level striker in the EPL or Championship, who is currently benched, that a club would be happy to loan out until the summer. That's assuming we don't have big bucks to splash.

I have no time to research this but some fucker at the club needs to:lol:

Is it? Or is that just a myth? Cantwell? Raskin?

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Jury is still out on whether either of them are good signings.

They arent shite, though. Its not like you cant get good players in Jan for reasonable money.. pre-contract and negotiate a good fee to get them in early. Its doable.

34 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Is it? Or is that just a myth? Cantwell? Raskin?

Players do tend to have contracts that run out after the season ends. Not impossible to negotiate deals but I’d imagine it has to be harder than a clean slate in summer. Either way we 100% need strengthening in January, even it’s only a couple of first team starters. Good luck with that. 

12 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

They arent shite, though. Its not like you cant get good players in Jan for reasonable money.. pre-contract and negotiate a good fee to get them in early. Its doable.

It's been over a decade since we've had a good January window where the impact has really been felt that season though.

Waterreus, Ferguson, Kyrgiakos and Buffel in 2005 is the stand out one by a mile. Four key players in a run in for a double.

Alexander, Dailly and Davis was important in getting us to Manchester, but didn't get us over the line for the title in 2008.

Boyd was decent in 2006 in a dead season.

Again, Thomson, Ehiogu and Weir were good in an already dead season in 2007.

Cantwell had a decent impact but we won nothing. Raskin's performances were severely overhyped.

58 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Ings doesn't suit West Ham's style at all, but he'll be on £100k pr week so I don't think we have any chance.

West Ham are also pretty light up front so I can't see them letting him go on loan.

Had no idea he was on anywhere near that so you’re probably right. Frankly he barely gets much time in most games and hasn’t done much so wouldn’t be missed.

1 minute ago, folkestoneger said:

Had no idea he was on anywhere near that so you’re probably right. Frankly he barely gets much time in most games and hasn’t done much so wouldn’t be missed.

Pretty much anyone of note in the EPL is on £80k+ per week now, it's depressing. 

But yeah, anytime i've seen him he's been a waste of space. Genuinely such a waste of a late sub.

Just now, Somemightsay7 said:

Pretty much anyone of note in the EPL is on £80k+ per week now, it's depressing. 

But yeah, anytime i've seen him he's been a waste of space. Genuinely such a waste of a late sub.

I go to the majority of home games and he’s by far the biggest disappointment this year. I think he’ll be gone by next season unless Moyes goes and they stop playing a counter attacking game which needs runners up front.

Just now, folkestoneger said:

I go to the majority of home games and he’s by far the biggest disappointment this year. I think he’ll be gone by next season unless Moyes goes and they stop playing a counter attacking game which needs runners up front.

I've been to every home game and I want to kill myself.

I'm assuming they will give Moyes until the end of the season (when his contract is up) and then replace him.

Player for player I don't think West Ham are that much worse than Villa. On paper they're a very good team but Moyes has hit his limit.

Just now, Somemightsay7 said:

I've been to every home game and I want to kill myself.

I'm assuming they will give Moyes until the end of the season (when his contract is up) and then replace him.

Player for player I don't think West Ham are that much worse than Villa. On paper they're a very good team but Moyes has hit his limit.

Quite possibly. Where I sit Moyes isn’t over popular for his defensive style

44 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's been over a decade since we've had a good January window where the impact has really been felt that season though.

Waterreus, Ferguson, Kyrgiakos and Buffel in 2005 is the stand out one by a mile. Four key players in a run in for a double.

Alexander, Dailly and Davis was important in getting us to Manchester, but didn't get us over the line for the title in 2008.

Boyd was decent in 2006 in a dead season.

Again, Thomson, Ehiogu and Weir were good in an already dead season in 2007.

Cantwell had a decent impact but we won nothing. Raskin's performances were severely overhyped.

Cantwell has definitely been a good signing so far, regardless of winning or not, in my opinion. I also think that Raskin is a promising player. Unfortunately been plagued by injury. Players listed above were good signings as well. So its not necessarily a shit window. 

Am I wrong to think we should be keeping the search very simple and only focusing one major attribute - finishing?

How many times have we dropped points in a game where we could have won by 2 or 3 if it wasn't for our finishing.

A big lazy bastard at a mediocre team who doesn't usually get the service, but whenever he does he puts them away.

An out and out poacher.

3 hours ago, simplythebestest said:

Am I wrong to think we should be keeping the search very simple and only focusing one major attribute - finishing?

How many times have we dropped points in a game where we could have won by 2 or 3 if it wasn't for our finishing.

A big lazy bastard at a mediocre team who doesn't usually get the service, but whenever he does he puts them away.

An out and out poacher.

Bring Tony home. 

Midlandbear on FF claiming the following about Shankland:

“The guy was made promises pre season that weren’t fulfilled. 
Try to imagine someone dangling your childhood dream in front of you, then the guy dangling it turns out to be a lying prick.”

Wonder if he’s referring to Beale or Naismith?

1 minute ago, Bronzy said:

Try to imagine someone dangling your childhood dream in front of you, then the guy dangling it turns out to be a lying prick.”

Two cheeks of the same arse.

8 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Noticed at the end of the Hearts game Clement shaking  everyone's hand including Hearts players but he gave Shankland a wee cuddle, just saying 😉