*****The Official Scottish Cup Final Match Thread*****

5 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

What's it say?

Sorry.

'Rangers face celtic in the Scottish Cup Final this weekend as they seek to end their season with silverware.

Philippe Clement needs to look back over two years for the last time Rangers came out on top in a significant Old Firm game when Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s side won 2-1 at Hampden thanks to a Scott Arfield strike and Carl Starfelt diverting into his own net.

And Van Bronckhorst’s assistant, Dave Vos, has explained during an exclusive interview with the Rangers Review the one detail that changed after a 3-0 Old Firm defeat at the start of 2022, leading to that win at the national stadium.

“One of the most important parts [of the European run] came after the first Old Firm we lost,” Vos reasons.

“We were too ‘in the middle’ of the pitch and not pressing opponents all over. From that moment we made a decision together - we will press the opponent all the way. We will keep pressing, winning the ball early and then if they play a long ball [over the press] we can win it. From there on, we have the ball and can make the difference with it.

“When we played Dortmund away, you could make two decisions. You can drop into a block and counterattack but we made a decision together, and from Gio it was a really brave one, to just press the opposition high and create overloads and in a couple of areas on the pitch. We had Kent in one-on-one duels and a dynamic right side with Tav and Scotty Arfield on the right in the half-spaces. The build-up with two sixes, one in a pivot role and the other dropping to make three in the build-up. Everything was connected in that moment.”

Vos suggests it was Van Bronckhorst’s bravery to press high against celtic, and stunt their build-up, that led to an improvement after the convincing defeat suffered at the start of the year.

Rangers pressed 'fully' man-to-man in their 2-1 Old Firm win at Hampden

During the 3-0 reverse in February, their 'in the middle' approach failed

The 41-year-old Dutch coach, now in charge of the second team at Ajax, also explained how important Calvin Bassey was to that plan.

“Calvin Bassey left and he played a massive part,” he adds, “If you want to press up high in that way, all over the pitch, that was our style. For me, it was possible because of him that we could do what we did.

“We still wanted to do the same things and I think at Ibrox we played really well against Napoli, the first half against Liverpool was unbelievable. In parts of the game we did really well but if you see the level of the opponent it is the small details that are so important."

I know it won’t happen but we’ve failed to beat them playing the same way all season so may as well take a gamble.

352. Even with having 2 strikers it causes their centre backs problems straight away as the don’t have a spare to dribble 50 yards up the park.

Butland

Sterling Souttar Davies

Tavernier Raskin Diomande Ridvan

Cantwell

Dessers Silva 

More flexibility. Allows Sterling to attack lon the right when needed can also fill in midfield and can help Tavernier defensively.

3 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

I know it won’t happen but we’ve failed to beat them playing the same way all season so may as well take a gamble.

352. Even with having 2 strikers it causes their centre backs problems straight away as the don’t have a spare to dribble 50 yards up the park.

Butland

Sterling Souttar Davies

Tavernier Raskin Diomande Ridvan

Cantwell

Dessers Silva 

More flexibility. Allows Sterling to attack lon the right when needed can also fill in midfield and can help Tavernier defensively.

We're not going into a final and changing our shape 😂😂😂

19 minutes ago, Professor_Chang said:

We're not going into a final and changing our shape 😂😂😂

No, we're just going to keep the same shape and tactic that.. well hasn't worked at all. Hopefully Clement has learnt from the matches against them and produces a winning formula. Cant really see it myself but can always hope. Although its usually the hope that kills you right enough.

4 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Sorry.

'Rangers face celtic in the Scottish Cup Final this weekend as they seek to end their season with silverware.

Philippe Clement needs to look back over two years for the last time Rangers came out on top in a significant Old Firm game when Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s side won 2-1 at Hampden thanks to a Scott Arfield strike and Carl Starfelt diverting into his own net.

And Van Bronckhorst’s assistant, Dave Vos, has explained during an exclusive interview with the Rangers Review the one detail that changed after a 3-0 Old Firm defeat at the start of 2022, leading to that win at the national stadium.

“One of the most important parts [of the European run] came after the first Old Firm we lost,” Vos reasons.

“We were too ‘in the middle’ of the pitch and not pressing opponents all over. From that moment we made a decision together - we will press the opponent all the way. We will keep pressing, winning the ball early and then if they play a long ball [over the press] we can win it. From there on, we have the ball and can make the difference with it.

“When we played Dortmund away, you could make two decisions. You can drop into a block and counterattack but we made a decision together, and from Gio it was a really brave one, to just press the opposition high and create overloads and in a couple of areas on the pitch. We had Kent in one-on-one duels and a dynamic right side with Tav and Scotty Arfield on the right in the half-spaces. The build-up with two sixes, one in a pivot role and the other dropping to make three in the build-up. Everything was connected in that moment.”

Vos suggests it was Van Bronckhorst’s bravery to press high against celtic, and stunt their build-up, that led to an improvement after the convincing defeat suffered at the start of the year.

The 41-year-old Dutch coach, now in charge of the second team at Ajax, also explained how important Calvin Bassey was to that plan.

“Calvin Bassey left and he played a massive part,” he adds, “If you want to press up high in that way, all over the pitch, that was our style. For me, it was possible because of him that we could do what we did.

“We still wanted to do the same things and I think at Ibrox we played really well against Napoli, the first half against Liverpool was unbelievable. In parts of the game we did really well but if you see the level of the opponent it is the small details that are so important."

Cordoba hopefully will allow us to get back to something close to this

4 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Then being told his replacement will be Ben Davies

3-1-4-2

Butland

Souttar  Balogun  Davies

Sterling

Tav Lundstram Diamonde Cantwell Barasic/Ridvan

Silva Dessers

Use our subs wisely  Hold until 70m, when they get a wee bit tired

Raskin to replace Lundstram

Lawrence to replace Cantwell

Wright for Silva

Roofe for Dessers

12 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Sorry.

We don’t have the athleticism in this squad. Bassey. Kamara Kent  etc v Lawrence and now Tav ? 

21 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

We don’t have the athleticism in this squad. Bassey. Kamara Kent  etc v Lawrence and now Tav ? 

It’s a real struggle. Very ponderous.

Not helped by injuries, but there’s a lack of mobility / explosiveness in this group. It’s so one paced. 

15 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

That songs brutal still 

I think it's one that sounds good when the fans are singing it full pelt compared to the recorded version 

One of those ones that once we sing it for twenty minutes after a European away win or hopefully on Saturday and everyone will end up loving 

30 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

100% what our recruitment needs to focussed on. Young, energy and athleticism along with good attitudes like Bassey and Sterling.

10 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

I think it's one that sounds good when the fans are singing it full pelt compared to the recorded version 

One of those ones that once we sing it for twenty minutes after a European away win or hopefully on Saturday and everyone will end up loving 

I’m a stickler for lyrics and I think they’re horrific 

Another song and line that annoys me comes from the famous RFC song, “the famous Rangers and their victories
It was strong as strong can be”. Can someone explain to me what strong as strong can be means? :lol:

A further annoyance of mine is in Every other Saturday when we sing that we’re the most successful team in football, a line that is just blatantly incorrect. There’s a couple of wee foreign teams that are more successful and Linfield are also miles ahead in trophy count. Confuses me that the club itself bought into that lie 

8 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I’m fucking buzzing for Saturday :lol: 

It's no officially old firm week till you give us an old firm highlights compilation with hardcore feelings or something blaring in the background 

8 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I’m fucking buzzing for Saturday :lol: 

Why have UB’s taken credit for this btw? It’s a song that’s been around for ages on YouTube :lol:

I actually quite like that version but now I’m confused as to why UB’s have taken credit 

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Why have UB’s taken credit for this btw? It’s a song that’s been around for ages on YouTube :lol:

I actually quite like that version but now I’m confused as to why UB’s have taken credit 

Don’t think they’re taking credit, think they’re just pushing it to get it going at games.