Let’s play Tavernier at left back!

beararse

4 hours ago, beararse said:

EDIT: All I'm getting is the usual  knee jerk insults. Posted elsewhere on this topic a list of right footed left backs so for the hard of thinking i've added them to this post.

Maldini, Lahm, Irwin, Zanetti, Zambrotta, Howedes, Azpilicueta, Breitner, Junior, Brehme...I could go on.

There have been, and are loads of great right footed left backs.

So, why not give it a go?

Crazy, I know but hear me out.

Tav is exceptional at driving forward. He could cut in and shoot across the keeper (eg. that Hibs free kick).

He actually does most of his damage these days tearing through the middle from deep.

He can cut in, create space for one of our many left sided wingers and slide balls from in to out all day long. 

Flanagan is a right back, limited going forward but solid defensively and will surely be more comfortable on the right.

And, before you call me a tit for even suggesting this, consider the right footed players who have excelled as a left back before hitting the keyboard.

Doesn't seem like the daftest suggestion that will appear on Rangersmedia....or is it?

🙂 

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was a genuine joke... 

23 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

You do realise that coming up with decent right footed left backs doesn't prove your point? 

Yep.

Nor does anyone calling me a tit on this thread disprove my point .

It’s all about opinions.

I think short term, giving Tav a try on the left might have a positive impact, others think I’m a tit for thinking such.

5 hours ago, beararse said:

EDIT: All I'm getting is the usual  knee jerk insults. Posted elsewhere on this topic a list of right footed left backs so for the hard of thinking i've added them to this post.

Maldini, Lahm, Irwin, Zanetti, Zambrotta, Howedes, Azpilicueta, Breitner, Junior, Brehme...I could go on.

There have been, and are loads of great right footed left backs.

So, why not give it a go?

Crazy, I know but hear me out.

Tav is exceptional at driving forward. He could cut in and shoot across the keeper (eg. that Hibs free kick).

He actually does most of his damage these days tearing through the middle from deep.

He can cut in, create space for one of our many left sided wingers and slide balls from in to out all day long. 

Flanagan is a right back, limited going forward but solid defensively and will surely be more comfortable on the right.

And, before you call me a tit for even suggesting this, consider the right footed players who have excelled as a left back before hitting the keyboard.

Doesn't seem like the daftest suggestion that will appear on Rangersmedia....or is it?

🙂 

I would like to meet with your leaders to discuss interplanetary cooperation.

56 minutes ago, geronimoo said:

Who would play right back when Tav is left back?

Flanagan.

Until we get a genuine left back thro the door who can defend, then Tav moves back to right back, Flanagan becomes back up and *new LB* restores order.

My theory, much derided, is that it is universally agreed that Tav is not great when defending. 

Flanagan however can defend. Stick him in his natural position in the right and you play to his strengths.

You therefore ‘gain’ an improved defensive position and move the guy who can’t defend into the opposite side where in theory he’ll struggle to get any worse. 

Tav can support midfield and attack thro the middle, opening up opportunities to shoot with his favoured foot in a better position. 

We ain’t swapping roles in the team, just the side of the pitch  they operate on. 

The principles of playing fullback doesn’t change because you are on the opposite side.

It was just a thought as we’ve already got a right footed left back playing at the moment in most games.

46 minutes ago, beararse said:

Flanagan.

Until we get a genuine left back thro the door who can defend, then Tav moves back to right back, Flanagan becomes back up and *new LB* restores order.

My theory, much derided, is that it is universally agreed that Tav is not great when defending. 

Flanagan however can defend. Stick him in his natural position in the right and you play to his strengths.

You therefore ‘gain’ an improved defensive position and move the guy who can’t defend into the opposite side where in theory he’ll struggle to get any worse. 

Tav can support midfield and attack thro the middle, opening up opportunities to shoot with his favoured foot in a better position. 

We ain’t swapping roles in the team, just the side of the pitch  they operate on. 

The principles of playing fullback doesn’t change because you are on the opposite side.

It was just a thought as we’ve already got a right footed left back playing at the moment in most games.

Is it?

I personally think Tav can defend. As do many others. 

54 minutes ago, beararse said:

Flanagan.

😂 so are teams only ever gony attack down our right side, will they not notice tav is now on the left? 

tav has been our BEST defender so far this season so I wouldn’t listen to the fuckin headbangers

every time a cross has come in from our left side to the back post this season tav has been there to defend it as good as anybody else we could realistically attract would

crazy that there is tarriers I kno who think more highly of tav than some of our support, you’d think they’d trust our manager who has forgot more about football than most of them will ever learn, but Na they know best an he’s shite🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, beararse said:

Flanagan.

So you’re grand plan to address our weakness at left back is to weaken us at right back by replacing our perfectly good right back with somebody who  offers a fraction of what they do and move the right back to a position that he’s never played to any lengthy extent in his career just because you think it means he can cut inside and shoot on his stronger foot...thank fuck you aren’t our gaffer is all I can say to that :lol:

7 minutes ago, gogzy said:

No it isn't universally agreed, not in the slightest.  Tav is good at defending too.  

Tav can't defend is one of the biggest myths on the forum.

His improvement over his time here is both notable, commendable, and now largely satisfactory compared to how ot was previously.

From Hivs targeting him and Stokes dominating and beating him.... we've now got the best RB in the league attacking but now no longer exposed defending.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

His improvement over his time here is both notable, commendable, and now largely satisfactory compared to how ot was previously.

From Hivs targeting him and Stokes dominating and beating him.... we've now got the best RB in the league attacking but now no longer exposed defending.

No doubt his attacking is his main strength.  He has improved his defending to such a degree that "he can't defend" is no longer a valid criticism IMO.

9 minutes ago, gogzy said:

No doubt his attacking is his main strength.  He has improved his defending to such a degree that "he can't defend" is no longer a valid criticism IMO.

Yep and I think he's really grown into the captains role as well.

6 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

He wasn't someone I thought should be made captain, but I am fine with it now.

He has grown into one of the top 3 players at the club, there isn't a better RB in Scotland.  I've also seen more than once, when the team was not doing to well in a game, that he would be one of the ones fighting to make sure we got something from it, which is what a captain should do.

I'll be gutted if/when he leaves.

Was it about 250k we brought him in for?

5 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

I was one of his biggest critics as captain.  I like my main man to be a dominant, no fucks given, rip the shirkers head off his shoulders, kill for the cause sort of captain. Bug those days have gone.

Tav has done ok as captain. He needs to lift silverware.  End of. If not then at the end of 20/21 he can fuck .off too 

Just now, gogzy said:

He wasn't someone I thought should be made captain, but I am fine with it now.

He has grown into one of the top 3 players at the club, there isn't a better RB in Scotland.  I've also seen more than once, when the team was not doing to well in a game, that he would be one of the ones fighting to make sure we got something from it, which is what a captain should do.

I'll be gutted if/when he leaves.

You can see how much more vocal he is on the pitch, he leads, and he gets it too, his work ethic, professionalism and commitment makes him a perfect captain and a  proper Ranger, cant wait to see him lift 55.

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I was one of his biggest critics as captain.  I like my main man to be a dominant, no fucks given, rip the shirkers head off his shoulders, kill for the cause sort of captain. Bug those days have gone.

Tav has done ok as captain. He needs to lift silverware.  End of. If not then at the end of 20/21 he can fuck .off too 

Fuck mate if its longer that they all can.

I think he'll lift a trophy this season, I hope it will be the title. this is the first season I've thought that since 2010–11.

3 hours ago, beararse said:

Flanagan.

You were doing so well there anaw, .......pity.