Defoe or Alfredo?

eejay the dj

2 minutes ago, The Blues said:

Defoe was played as a target man today.....☹️

Exactly. No out ball at all to deal with their press, especially in the first half. I hate to think Gerrard was so naive that he thought we’d get the lion share of possession and hundreds of chances again but that’s looking likely to be the case. Hopefully now our players/fans really do shut the fuck up about winning this league until it’s won. 

2 hours ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Defoe has been just as clinical as Morelos since joining us. Defoe has the experience, Alfredo the youth.

It's a moot point for today's game though. Neither can score without decent service.

Another post that's spot on. 

Loads of bears earlier on would have went Defoe today and Morelos Thursday. 

But full blame on the manager for making that choice in defeat. 

It was the lack of width more than the choice of striker that caused the problem 

Game was more suited to Morelos but Defoe was rotten today

I know he had next to no service but you expect him to have a good touch, be composed on the ball and use his brains. On the odd occasion he did have the ball today he did neither, worst 2 games I’ve ever seen him play probably in his career have been today and St Mirren

40 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Game was more suited to Morelos but Defoe was rotten today

I know he had next to no service but you expect him to have a good touch, be composed on the ball and use his brains. On the odd occasion he did have the ball today he did neither, worst 2 games I’ve ever seen him play probably in his career have been today and St Mirren

FFS, if he was any more isolated, Fraser Foster would have been giving him a good touch. I'm sure they were both texting each other at one point.

Play them together.   Not as a conventional front 2 but as a diamond.   

If we are attacking  Goldson and Katic are at the back,   Tav, Davis, Jack and Flanagan across the middle,   Defoe drops deeper to the base of an attacking diamond,  Arfield and Ojo/Jones out wide and Alfredo up front.   Keep the front 4 fluid with Morelos and Defoe taking turns to drop deeper.   Swap Kent for one of the wide players if we ever get him.    

If Defoe drops deep against a packed defence he has the trickery to beat a man and find a telling pass forward.

If  Alfredo drops deeper he can use his strength to run at opponents and then get a shot or killer pass in.

Worth a try.

32 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Play them together.   Not as a conventional front 2 but as a diamond.   

If we are attacking  Goldson and Katic are at the back,   Tav, Davis, Jack and Flanagan across the middle,   Defoe drops deeper to the base of an attacking diamond,  Arfield and Ojo/Jones out wide and Alfredo up front.   Keep the front 4 fluid with Morelos and Defoe taking turns to drop deeper.   Swap Kent for one of the wide players if we ever get him.    

If Defoe drops deep against a packed defence he has the trickery to beat a man and find a telling pass forward.

If  Alfredo drops deeper he can use his strength to run at opponents and then get a shot or killer pass in.

Worth a try.

Wow! Naw mate. 

4 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Ok what's your cunning plan?

Just play the same team/players that wins us games, pretty simple tbh 🤷‍♂️ He completely changed the team and lost, if he’d kept the same as Thursday with the addition of Jones then we might’ve got something out of it, we’ll never know now right enough. 

I have no doubt our performance would have been so much better today had Morelos started. Morelos can keep a back four busy one his own. He backs his arse in, he runs across the line, he holds the ball up, he can chuck in a nutmeg and wriggle out of a tight space with ease. 

All of which gets you higher up the pitch and creates more chances for the team. I love JD but he’s a finisher, he can’t be used as a ‘front man’ so to speak. Give him chances and he’ll finish but today’s game needed more than that. 

It was even more criminal given that it was most of their defences first ever OF game and they’ve been pish. 

4 hours ago, magic8ball said:

Another post that's spot on. 

Loads of bears earlier on would have went Defoe today and Morelos Thursday. 

But full blame on the manager for making that choice in defeat. 

It was the lack of width more than the choice of striker that caused the problem 

Given said lack of width, the only way Defoe had a chance was with balls played up to him, or down the channels.

Given the difference in stature between him & their CH’s, as already pointed out, the only way it would work was though balls down the channels.

Don’t know if anyone else sees it like this, but I don’t think I’ve seen him running away from anybody yet this season, so that wasn’t going to work, either.

8 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Just play the same team/players that wins us games, pretty simple tbh 🤷‍♂️ He completely changed the team and lost, if he’d kept the same as Thursday with the addition of Jones then we might’ve got something out of it, we’ll never know now right enough. 

Agree with that but we need to be able to come up with a game plan to accommodate both strikers.   Horrible when we are chasing the games and take a goal scorer off.

5 hours ago, tannerall said:

On his own too, in a home game, very strange tactics. 

starts a 37 year old up front to 'run them ragged' then bring on a guy who can run for months  --- start Morelos to do the hard stuff then sub for Defoe but either way they both need supply which was non-existent today 

4 hours ago, Coop said:

Completely the wrong tactics for a team with two small strikers.  Launching high balls into the box that has a 6'5'' and a 6'4'' centre backs is playground stupid when your strikers are 5'7'' and 5'8''.

What you need are wingers stretching their defence, getting to the bye line or cutting in and firing low driven balls into the area between 6 yard box and penalty spot, not whipping in high crosses from 20 years out and tight to the touchline. madness....there was one in particular today where it was so fucking obvious the the centre half was going to win the ball and yet thats what they did. Infuriating stuff.