Elgin City fined £25k

LeeWallaceRFC

Elgin City could be docked points by the Scottish Football League for the postponement of their Third Division tie with Rangers.

The visit of Ally McCoist's side was called off on safety grounds on Friday evening by Grampian Police, after it became clear the Black and Whites sold too many tickets for their Borough Briggs ground.

A meeting of the SFL's board will on Tuesday decide whether to invoke rule 98.4, which could result in points being deducted from City's tally for the 2012/13 season.

An SFL spokesman told STV: "Potentially they could be docked points. It is one of the options available to the board."

Elgin are currently second top of the Third Division table, having accumulated 22 points. They are currently just two points behind leaders Rangers at the top of the division.

Rule 98.4 states: "Any club without just cause failing to fulfil its fixture obligations in respect of any such match under the jurisdiction of the League on the appointed date or dates shall for each offence be liable to the deduction of points in respect of a League Championship match, and/or to such other punishment as the Board may determine."

Elgin City could also be hit by a compensation claim by Rangers, with league rules stating any expenses incurred as a "direct result of the failure" should be paid.

The SFL board determines the amount of compensation due in such a case.

The league's chief executive, David Longmuir, promised on Sunday there would be a full investigation into the circumstances of the cancellation.

"We made a decision late on Friday afternoon to call the game off on the grounds of public safety," he said. "We should not have to deal with Elgin to make clubs realise that this should not happen.

"I’ve asked them to furnish me with a full report of the circumstances that brought the game to be called off and I’ll look at that in conjunction with the report I get from my operations manager and our board will make a decision if any in a very short time scale."

http://sport.stv.tv/...-postponement/?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt want to see that tbh, even though it was a big fuck up, i would hope the embarresment and bad publicity would suffice and stop other clubs doing the same. Remember they are not used to having a giant of world football in their league and obviously have got ahead of themselves in this case.

A bit much, in my opinion.

A fine would be sufficient. I mean when you think about it. Had they sold out the game at the average price of £10 per ticket that would have given them around £41,500 for that match PLUS half the gate receipts for next week. So having an estimate at £10 avg. ticket price x (for arguments sake) 35,000 fans gives them a cut of over £150,000.

Do not understand their logic behind risking fans safety for a quick buck when they knew (or did they?) they would be bringing in a substantial sum the following week. Baffling in my opinion.

A bit much, in my opinion.

A fine would be sufficient. I mean when you think about it. Had they sold out the game at the average price of £10 per ticket that would have given them around £41,500 for that match PLUS half the gate receipts for next week. So having an estimate at £10 avg. ticket price x (for arguments sake) 35,000 fans gives them a cut of over £150,000.

Do not understand their logic behind risking fans safety for a quick buck when they knew (or did they?) they would be bringing in a substantial sum the following week. Baffling in my opinion.

They must be desperate. Does the money help keep them in business or something for another 5 years?

That seems a bit much TBH. A fine and a yellow card type of warning should be enough.

Anyway, whatever punishment they get, it does nothing for all the fans that have lost out on this shambles, a shambles of thier own making admittedly, but a fine is enough.

You can just imagine the Rangers haters shouting from the roof tops if Elgin finish second, 'You had to get a points reduction to win the 3rd'!!!

An arguement rthat doesn't seem to apply to Rangers 10 pointer last term.