*** New Manager Discussion ***

coatbrigpirate

We better get used to the idea IMO he's definitely got a job of some description.

Buying those shares was a very clever move from him it may even have given him the balance of power in the egm vote.

The fact that he proxied them to the rst suggests a deal has been done already and a job is there for him after the vote.

Magath might be a good guy for a director of football.

He was the guy that scored the winner for SV Hamburg against Juventus in the European Cup Final in 1983. Former manager of Hamburg, Bayern Munich, Wolfsburg and Fulham so massively experienced.

I don't want him as manager but he could be ideal as the kind of guy that could get us bargains from Germany and other parts of Europe, maybe young lads with huge potential that could be developed at the club.

Germany is probably where we should be looking for signings unless we're obsessed with signing guys we dumped three or five years ago.

Would say they are a couple of big differences with both situations.

Looking back I don't think there is too much Magath could have done at Fulham. Myself and a fair few of my friends were very critical of the Fulham players last season, their poor attitude got Jol sacked and the rot had set in by the time Magath was on the scene.

In regards to the PLG comparison, he fell out with a captain who was very popular with the other players and the fans, while results on the pitch weren't going his way. If Magath came in and took the hard line, the stock of the current squad is so low with the fans, the backlash would be on them if they complained, not the manager.

Fulham were already dead and buried when he went there but a lot of the mistakes he made there were similar to ones he made in his previous job at Schalke before he went there so you can't fully let him off the hook for what happened at Fulham even if you think he was going into an impossible situation.

As far as PLG I think there are certain similarities. Everybody knows the circumstances of Le Guen's departure but looking at his approach to the job before and shortly after he took over - never setting foot in Scotland before he started the job, banning tackling in training & treating the captaincy like it meant nothing (wether it does or not is another debate but generally speaking I don't think people can deny that it's seen as a pretty big deal/role in Britain) suggests that much like Magath he either simply didn't get British football culture or he was simply too arrogant to care about it either way.

Of all the people being talked about he's undoubtedly got the best CV and he could get results in the short term which is what we need if somebody is going to drag us to promotion, but much like anybody else who's going to be spoken about for the job you can't deny that he's had a few sticky spells in his career that aren't going to sit easy with some people and leave them a bit skeptical.

It's certainly looking like the most likely scenario, Magath coming in until the end of the season then going upstairs and being replaced at the start of next season.

It would be better than McDowall, but I'm not sure I would have confidence in Magath getting us through essentially 4 or 6 cup finals to achieve promotion, which is a must this season.

Going by Dave a Kings interview he is against the DOF / coach role and I agree with him - but he does recognise that the manager needs to be a coach, capable of player development as well as leading/ setting the football Philosophy.

Would be a risk but I think it would be worth it. Magath has the experience and track record Cathro has a good reputation for coaching and bringing players on. Magath has I am sure been quoted as saying he does not want now to do the day to day coaching but we be good to reorganise the football side including the youth system with Cathro doing first team coaching

His name just popped into my head.

Do we think we could get him involved? Not neccessarily as manager, even as head of the youths? Or assistant?

He brought through McCarthy and McArthur and did a good job for Hamilton.

He's currently assistant at a Swedish outfit which I didnt know until I checked.

Thoughts?