*** New Manager Discussion ***

coatbrigpirate

Cathro is appealing in that he could do a fantastic job with young players - in that regard his age isn't an issue. His age comes into play with the senior players like Wallace and Jig. However, I'm sure Wallace is professional enough and Jig, well, Jig probably won't be around too much longer.

It could mean the start of a period where we try and adopt the old Ajax model. Which would be nice.

However, I've seen nothing as yet that suggests Cathro would be looked upon with interest by King etc. In fact, one report I read said that it was Sandy Easdale who was interested in him. Hopefully this isn't the case.

Cathro seems to be the popular appointment with a lot of people but he's not the be all and end all.

As an example, Billy McKinlay, who is also mentioned in that Guardian article has never been spoken about as a potential candidate despite him being heavily involved in Fulham's youth set up (one of the best in England) when he worked there.

Don't get me wrong, Cathro is very intriguing, I've posted threads about him before, but the clamour and groundswell of support for him to the point where he seems to be most people's first choice, seems to have grown out of nothing and with very little to really back it up either.

I agree, Cathro isn't the be all and end all. I would like to see him given a chance, but if they decide he's not ready then I wouldnt throw the toys out the pram. As long as it's someone in that mould I, and I think most sensible fans, would be happy.

Young coach with forward thinking ideas is what is needed Cathro or yes even Billy McKinlay. We have people at Ajax now with links to the club, get out youth coaches over to Amsterdam for a month and watch listen and learn what they are doing. I would still like to see the youth Academy become just that, the u\15 and up to u\18 living together in a dorm and going to school together. Subjects such as nutrition, fitness, lifestyle, financial acuity, Sports Psychology etc, added to the curriculum. Strict dress code, flannels, shirt ties and blazer all the time when representing the club and at the school. And a total ban on fast food, alcohol and recreational drugs, break it once and you are gone.

Young coach with forward thinking ideas is what is needed Cathro or yes even Billy McKinlay. We have people at Ajax now with links to the club, get out youth coaches over to Amsterdam for a month and watch listen and learn what they are doing. I would still like to see the youth Academy become just that, the u\15 and up to u\18 living together in a dorm and going to school together. Subjects such as nutrition, fitness, lifestyle, financial acuity, Sports Psychology etc, added to the curriculum. Strict dress code, flannels, shirt ties and blazer all the time when representing the club and at the school. And a total ban on fast food, alcohol and recreational drugs, break it once and you are gone.

Unrelated perhaps but Ajax have installed former players at all levels of the club. Being an Ajax man is seen as a positive. Check out articles on the 'velvet revolution', what happened at Ajax is very interesting and should give us food for thought

If we're going to take somebody like Cathro then I think we'll need someone above him in a director of football role, be this Magath or someone else. McLeish would be perfect but I doubt he'd leave Genk, Magath would also be a good appointment too.

I'm fed up already of people just shouting about Davies, McCall, Cathro, Magath, McInnes for the next manager. Is there nobody else out there?

I am suggesting Mark Warburton with Davie Weir as his assistant. Done a fantastic job at Brentford and is leaving at the end of the season. No reason as to why we couldn't attract him here.

I want names that the media/bookies haven't mentioned. Go...

Unrelated perhaps but Ajax have installed former players at all levels of the club. Being an Ajax man is seen as a positive. Check out articles on the 'velvet revolution', what happened at Ajax is very interesting and should give us food for thought

The difference is that Ajax have a set of former players who were schooled in modern coaching methods. We don't.

Ang Postacogalu the Australian coach. Craig Moore is one of his assistants and could also come.

Everyone thought australia had to park the bus at the world cup. Tried to play decent football and gave youngsters a chance.

Recently coped with the pressure and delivered asian cup victory on home soil.

Most won't know him. I only do cause I'm in Oz. It's the sort of out of the box thinking our board should be doing. Not sounding out billy bloody Davies

Ang Postacogalu the Australian coach. Craig Moore is one of his assistants and could also come.

Everyone thought australia had to park the bus at the world cup. Tried to play decent football and gave youngsters a chance.

Most won't know him. I only do cause I'm in Oz. It's the sort of out of the box thinking our board should be doing. Not sounding out billy bloody Davies

Great shout that (tu) He's done everything he possibly could do now at Oz. Would surely be interested in coming to Europe soon.

Not suggesting Dougie Freedman but SSN had him in an interview earlier on and it was great listening to him speak. Clearly knows his shit, I reckon Forest will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

The difference is that Ajax have a set of former players who were schooled in modern coaching methods. We don't.

We have loads mate we just haven't utilised the right ones. Gio, Numan, R De Boer all have coaching and or scouting experience. Reyna and Nerlinger are football administrators, Laudrup runs a youth football school, McCann is coaching, Arveladze has been coaching, Davie Weir...

We haven't utilised people well IMO. Remember some of our former players were genuine class and played at the very top of European football. Our Dutch connections are particularly good.

Not suggesting Dougie Freedman but SSN had him in an interview earlier on and it was great listening to him speak. Clearly knows his shit, I reckon Forest will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Aye a seen that too. Very sure of himself and he impressed me a lot. Doing a great job so far.

He signed a 5 yr deal before he won the Asian Cup did he not?

Wouldn't mind seeing him coming in til the end of the season but I would rather see Magath be the guy in charge of Auchenhowie for the next five years. A man of his experience would be superb to ring the changes and bring our youth programme into the 21st century.

We have loads mate we just haven't utilised the right ones. Gio, Numan, R De Boer all have coaching and or scouting experience. Reyna and Nerlinger are football administrators, Laudrup runs a youth football school, McCann is coaching, Arveladze has been coaching, Davie Weir...

We haven't utilised people well IMO. Remember some of our former players were genuine class and played at the very top of European football. Our Dutch connections are particularly good.

Fair point. We would struggle to get most of these guys to come back, I think, but the guys you mention are certainly in that 'modern thinking' category I would love to see us appoint from.