What is Mark Allen’s role?

What is Mark Allen’s role? Clearly had a big influence in identifying and securing Arfield and shagger. They are Allen’s signings and should be judged as such.

But now Gerrard has identified a potential signing only for it not to come off in an almost shameful way. 

Surely it is now down to Gerrard identifying who he wants to fit the style of football he wants to play, and Allen has to make it work - numbers, securing sales balancing the books...etc? 

I truly hope the gaffer has full autonomy on who he wants in his squad - otherwise I can see another disaster 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

If you don't know then how can you say he was a big part of Am and Arfield?

Because they were very publicly linked and in arfields case terms agreed before Gerrard was announced. Even before Gerrards last round of contract talks.

I would have thought his role in transfers is fairly clear. If the managers says he needs say a CB . The DoF  and his team identify CBs . The DoF then says we can get certain CBs but they will cost x in wages and y in transfer fees. The manager then decides if he wants them at that figure. Or if the Manager knows himself he wants a certain CB .The DoF goes out sorts a deal and tells the manager what it will cost in wages and fees and again the manager decides if it's worth it. The manager will know is overall budget. Where problems can arise is if the DoF and his team don't identify players we can afford.  

9 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

I would have thought his role in transfers is fairly clear. If the managers says he needs say a CB . The DoF  and his team identify CBs . The DoF then says we can get certain CBs but they will cost x in wages and y in transfer fees. The manager then decides if he wants them at that figure. Or if the Manager knows himself he wants a certain CB .The DoF goes out sorts a deal and tells the manager what it will cost in wages and fees and again the manager decides if it's worth it. The manager will know is overall budget. Where problems can arise is if the DoF and his team don't identify players we can afford.  

Summary of above:

Tells the manager on behalf of our chairman who we can't afford. 

1 minute ago, FlippinEck said:

What is shameful about not wanting to pay £5M for a 33 year old and upwards of £50k on wages :lol: 

We could get Goldson and Bartley for round about that.

Could get 20 Liverpool youths for that and put out two teams....double our chances.

34 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

What is Mark Allen’s role? Clearly had a big influence in identifying and securing Arfield and shagger. They are Allen’s signings and should be judged as such.

But now Gerrard has identified a potential signing only for it not to come off in an almost shameful way. 

Surely it is now down to Gerrard identifying who he wants to fit the style of football he wants to play, and Allen has to make it work - numbers, securing sales balancing the books...etc? 

I truly hope the gaffer has full autonomy on who he wants in his squad - otherwise I can see another disaster 

A dof is the one that's given the budget and over sees the spending of it. If we have a dof does that mean Stevie is a head coach or manager ?