*** The Official Motherwell f.c. vs Rangers f.c. Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say we are 5-3-2 not 3-5-2. I say that as Tav is not a midfielder, nor is Barisic. They are wingbacks. Gerrard has said so himself. 

Really looking forward to seeing us play that way and with 2 up. I'm not sure Motherwell would have been expecting that line up so a bit of a curve ball for them. 

It will allow us to utilise the strength of them going forward without leaving us light at the back, especially with Ryan Jack sitting in front of there too. Also will help with the lack of width that has been an issue, especially now Murphy is injured and Candeias has been poor. Also, Lafferty would be wasted wide left, so Gerrard has set us up cleverly. Arfield probably feels slightly hard done by but truth be told he hasn't really delivered 100% yet for me. 

I know we've not played that many games but looking at that formation and line up really shows how far we've come since last season. A manager who seems to know what he is doing, the ability to chop and change line-ups, and have a decent bench too. Really looking forward to this. 

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Everyone needs to keep their heads today and not get sent off 

even if we do keep our heads it won't matter much. the refs will be card happy against us and be desperate to give us a red.

3 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

I'd say we are 5-3-2 not 3-5-2. I say that as Tav is not a midfielder, nor is Barisic. They are wingbacks. Gerrard has said so himself. 

Really looking forward to seeing us play that way and with 2 up. I'm not sure Motherwell would have been expecting that line up so a bit of a curve ball for them. 

It will allow us to utilise the strength of them going forward without leaving us light at the back, especially with Ryan Jack sitting in front of there too. Also will help with the lack of width that has been an issue, especially now Murphy is injured and Candeias has been poor. Also, Lafferty would be wasted wide left, so Gerrard has set us up cleverly. Arfield probably feels slightly hard done by but truth be told he hasn't really delivered 100% yet for me. 

I know we've not played that many games but looking at that formation and line up really shows how far we've come since last season. A manager who seems to know what he is doing, the ability to chop and change line-ups, and have a decent bench too. Really looking forward to this. 

Arfield is just being rested, not dropped.  Haliday is only in there tonight as it's the easiest of our 3 games on paper.  He has no chance of starting on Thursday or Sunday unless Barisic or Flanagan are injured.

I think if you put Arfield and Coulibaly in for Halliday and Ejaria that's our strongest possible team. 

Very interested to see how the system works as I think it could get get the best out of full backs and while Flannigan hasn't really been exceptional and he's limited going forward, in my opinion we're a stronger team with him in it.

I’ve been desperate for us to play with 3 cbs for a long time.  Can really see that taking away most of the threat from the taigs.  

Reckon this is the trial formation for next weekend. 

I know it's said a lot, but Sutton is a smarmy wanker. He brings nothing to the discussion and only looks to be controversial at every opportunity. The way the rest of the panel keep looking at him to see if he approves as they're giving their opinions is cringey as fuck aswell.

Archived