If?

bordersbear

20 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Ask if 5 points from 12 is good enough.

I expected us to have at least seven points - aye, obviously I wanted twelve - at this point, so it's far from good enough. We've again not taken advantage of celtic dropping points to Hearts, and it's compounded by conceding injury time equalisers away to Aberdeen and Motherwell. 

I do still expect us to now put together a run of wins in the league, though we're again going to be relying on them to drop points. 

16 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Don't see a meltdown, but plenty big disappointment.

The manner of defeat was hard to take.

I'm sure everyone remains to have faith in Gerrard.

IMO he simply got it wrong in how he set up and it is a big comedown from qualifying for Europe one minute and getting beat by the scum the next.

As I said, it was more the manner of defeat than the result.

I think it is a meltdown for many BA and while that is understandable I also think far too many thought this was going to be easy. After the number of games and travel we had we, and I include myself in that, should have been much less confident in what would happen today. What I do agree about is the manner in which we played, I made a comment in another thread about us bringing in a sports psychologist, especially for the players that have been here and suffered defeat after defeat over the last couple of games.

I also think faith in Stevie is far from remaining strong, but I hope I am wrong with that.

We will improve, but we need to start playing football and forget about playing long ball shite, we're better than that, we can't keep expecting to win the second ball, get back to passing and pressing and find a bit of composure from somewhere. 

22 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

IMO he simply got it wrong in how he set up and it is a big comedown from qualifying for Europe one minute and getting beat by the scum the next.

I said in anther post I was disappointed not angry or upset. The difference is we at least now look as if we have a plan and a goal, IMHO we have sorted the defence, celtic dominated the game but IMHO I don't think they troubled us that much for a team with most possession etc. The game could have easily finished 0-0. But that said, the celtic players stepped up their game and TBH "is that their best". We should be getting about 10 million from Europa and I expect that will be used to improve the midfield as I feel that is the difference between us and them at the moment.

I rate Jack and Coulibaly looks like the engine in midfield we need, it's the CAM position where I feel we are weak and needs addressed next. I feel we are weak down the wings also, Kent is good enough but still a kid and Candeias I rate the same. I feel upgrafding these 3 position next season with a focus on CAM will give us a decent team. 

15 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

Taken out of context, at face value, it isn’t. But if you look at the manner of the dropped points (playing most of the 90 against the sheep with 10 men, unjustly, for example) and the completely unexpected and way beyond expectations run in Europe, then it’s understandable.

Today was a sore one, but to look at the start we’ve made under Gerrard and the massive turnover of players, there’s absolutely no denying we’ve come a huge way in an incredibly short time. There’s a long, long way to go under SG and we are ahead of the curve.

I'm delighted with Europe mate, but 7 points gone this early is poor.  We're 4 points behind the tarriers 4 games in and that even includes them getting beat.  We need to get a very good winning streak on the go after the break.  

8 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

I expected us to have at least seven points - aye, obviously I wanted twelve - at this point, so it's far from good enough. We've again not taken advantage of celtic dropping points to Hearts, and it's compounded by conceding injury time equalisers away to Aberdeen and Motherwell. 

I do still expect us to now put together a run of wins in the league, though we're again going to be relying on them to drop points. 

:tu: Got to get a run going now.

14 minutes ago, Bighouse said:

The truth is we were awful today. We bottled it against them... again.

In the last 18 years, we have won 3 games at the Piggery. Meanwhile the tranny shagger has won as many games at Ibrox in 2 years, than the last 9 Rangers managers combined in 20 years have won at their midden.

We simply HAVE to beat them at Ibrox.

I saw nothing today to suggest we have what it takes to beat them, any time soon 

Can only hope grezda hits the ground running and that lassana coming back in makes a difference 

We NEED a run of wins and our upcoming fixture list through to December is extremely favourable. We need to take as many points from the next 9 matches as possible. All are winnable games 

35 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Yes, I do think he got his tactics wrong. I also think we will get stronger as a team and Gerrard will learn from his mistakes. Really disappointed that we didnt take the game to them, but a firm belief that we will be much better next time.

34 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

No, you told us in the OP that we would have taken those results and then asked why the reaction. You want to narrow the debate to your own narrative and exclude any points that are at odds with it. 

When put like that, yes, you are correct. But, after last season and our abject performances on all fronts would you not have wanted a start to the season like we have had?

The making of Gerrard will be how we respond. Win the next 5 league games which are all winnable then confidence will be high again. Drop a lot of points in the next 5 then I'll start to really worry.

We've had a tough run of league games with 3 away to Motherwell, Aberdeen and celtic. 2 last minute goals away from being level of points with the scum considering they've had an easy start. They've had 3 home games and lost their only away game.

I'm not panicking yet as I see we can improve and will. Better be soon though.

55 minutes ago, gsa said:

It was 1-0 but being honest they were much, much better today. 

It was a Murty-esque performance and interview by Gerrard. 

We shouldn't be in awe of a team containing Brown, Lustig, Gordon and Boyata. We shouldn't be pissing our pants with excitement to go in drawing with them at half time. 

It was an awful performance. People can keep bringing up the Europa League qualifiers all they like. We were shocking and fortunate not to take a serious hiding. 

Doesnt mean we won't improve or tiredness wasn't a factor but it does mean the manager and players got it badly, badly wrong today. Fans need to make their peace with that rather than scrambling for excuses or blaming the referee. 

Sadly you've hit the nail on the head here, didn't realize at the time but that's exactly how I felt at half time.

It was almost as if Gerrard had went in to this game playing it like a Europa league tie, where he was going for a draw in the away leg.

1 minute ago, bordersbear said:

When put like that, yes, you are correct. But, after last season and our abject performances on all fronts would you not have wanted a start to the season like we have had?

In regards to European football yes, domestically the gap hasn't closed and no one can say it has until the players go out and prove it. 

Europe is clouding judgement here.

Domestically we have been abysmal thus far, it's one if the worst starts to the league I can ever remember. 

We have made huge strides in certain aspects which is pleasing but in terms of 55 then looking at the league and the points we have lostbthus far you can't help but be down on it.

Qualifying for the Europa League group stages is great but our league form has been poor.  5pts from our opening 4 opening league games isn't good enough for a team talking about challenging for the title.  It's the manner in which we lost today and against Motherwell that's concerning too.  We've spent £10m and should be able to play a bit but that's a couple of times we've sat in and hoofed it long.  We should be making an effort to play it our from the back, keep possession, and build attacks.  Watching McGregor punt it up the park is infuriating.  

Anything we can get from the Europa League groups is just a bonus.  In terms of the league we need to start winning consistently, start moving up the table, and hopefully keep the pressure on celtic.  We don't play celtic again until December so there's plenty of time for these players to come together and develop a style of play between now and then.  

11 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Don’t conceed the late goals at Aberdeen and Motherwell and nobody is moaning apart from today’s performance.

Small margins. 

The Aberdeen game gave me confidence due to the circumstances regardless of the late equaliser. I'll moan every fucking time any Rangers team sits back to defend a lead against a shite motherwell team late equaliser or not.

5 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Europe is clouding judgement here.

Domestically we have been abysmal thus far, it's one if the worst starts to the league I can ever remember. 

We have made huge strides in certain aspects which is pleasing but in terms of 55 then looking at the league and the points we have lostbthus far you can't help but be down on it.

100% agree mate it's great we are making money of Europe but the league is our bread and butter and should be our main goal stopping they bastards from lifting another title 

1 hour ago, JentleJames said:

I wouldn’t have taken 1 win from the opening 4 games no.

This. If we had lost 1 0 today and had a good performance and competed with them and had gone into the game with 9 points or even 7 with a drew at the sheep there would be no complaints. But 4 points dropped before today and a very poor performance today is worrying. What we do over the next 6 to 10 games will define where the season will go. 

1 hour ago, GT66 said:

Fuck off. 

That should have been an absolute doing. 

If anyone is happy going there and playing the way you'd expect Livingston or Hamilton to, then go support them. 

Live and Hamilton wouldn’t sit that deep or have no fight in their team.