Gerrard and the away form

KingKirk

we defo got lucky today, not many times this year at 1-1 with ten mins  to go away from home, will we run out 1-4 winners

could be many factors to our poor performance today like the disruptive international break, some unfamiliar players trying to find match sharpness etc. 

I’m just glad it was Hamilton accies we were playing or that was potential dropped points again

did anybody else think katic played bad? Personally I thought he was better than goldson and when I seen worrall coming on I thought they are gony score here and bang!

wish Gerrard would stop making centre half subs unnecessarily  near the end of games, bring on an extra ch to see a game out if he feels he needs to but don’t change one unless needs must ffs...far too dodgy a position for somebody to come on with10 mins left and instantly get up to speed with the game imo

3 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

His team selections have continually been poor and his inability to motivate the team for away games is a worry.

Don't think that's a problem tbh. We are running over teams at Ibrox. I don't get the need for the more cautious tactics away to pish like Hamilton, Livingston and Motherwell. 

Guilty of over thinking is the manager hopefully he learns quickly that he doesn't need to.

Warburton was arrogant with his way of thinking but the gaffer needs to find the balance between "its about what we do" and being aware of the other teams strength.

16 hours ago, cascadeshrimp said:

I don't think it's a tactics problem at all,we look to take an extra touch on the plastic and that slows us down and makes us look poor.

Get these plastic pitches to fuck out the top league.

Aberdeen Motherwell and them play on grass. 

12 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Don't think that's a problem tbh. We are running over teams at Ibrox. I don't get the need for the more cautious tactics away to pish like Hamilton, Livingston and Motherwell. 

We’ve fucked about with the midfield in almost every away game..

We also seem to play Candeias as an inside forward away from home whereas at Ibrox he plays as an out and out winger.

17 hours ago, the old guard said:

Don't think it's tactics, every player looks slow and lethargic and try to take far to much time on the ball. 

This.

Rangers had played 20 competitive matches before yesterday.

Hamilton had played 12.

Not to mention the games played with 10 men for 80 minutes and 9 men for 20 minutes.

They're not machines.

No great surprise they look slower in some games.

I think there are a few reasons. 

I think in spite of Gerrard saying the league is the priority some of his selections have been made with one eye on Europe which hasn’t helped us.

Also as a mentality we need to remember that we are much better than all of these sides. I feel away we treat teams with too much respect and although we have possession there is a lot of sideways passing. We have enough quality to attack teams straight from kick off. Their strike yesterday came exactly from that sort of midfield dithering.

Gerrard has been PC in not being overly critical of the financial decision from small clubs to have plastic pitches but there is no doubt these pitches should not be in top flight football. Enough players from many clubs have said the same.

He made a mistake with the formation against Motherwell and also with the timing and choice of substitutes, especially Wallace.  In general I feel he sometimes waits too long to make changes. He’ll learn. Overall he feels like a Rangers manager though, the first proper one we’ve had in a long time. 

20 hours ago, simplythebest said:

It's part of the game here whether we like it or not until the rules change if ever 

It's something we need to be able to deal with if we're to get to where we belong, can't just mention it every time 

Kilmarnock we won quite comfortably. Albeit murphy got injured. These pitches should not be permitted in top tier football  but we just have to get on with it until rules change.

3 hours ago, beararse said:

This.

Rangers had played 20 competitive matches before yesterday.

Hamilton had played 12.

Not to mention the games played with 10 men for 80 minutes and 9 men for 20 minutes.

They're not machines.

No great surprise they look slower in some games.

Worst excuse ever, they’re professional athletes mate and the majority of them have had pleanty rest in between with the international breaks.  

11 minutes ago, glasgow argyle said:

Kilmarnock we won quite comfortably. Albeit murphy got injured. These pitches should not be permitted in top tier football  but we just have to get on with it until rules change.

I wouldn't be holding breath on a rules change. 

The SPFL have no appetite for it and have put it back on the club's to push for it if wanted. Too many clubs make a big noise about wanting them banned but never follow through

4 minutes ago, cascadeshrimp said:

I thought we did alright in those games except from the last 10-15 mins 

Never kicked a ball against them, never kicked a ball the entire second half against Motherwell, and got deeper and deeper against Aberdeen inviting them on to us. 

35 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Never kicked a ball against them, never kicked a ball the entire second half against Motherwell, and got deeper and deeper against Aberdeen inviting them on to us. 

Aye but up till then we did alright imo and I hope that lessons have been learned

21 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

His team selections have continually been poor and his inability to motivate the team for away games is a worry.

I think the away games at Pittodrie and in Europe show this isn’t strictly the case.

I think the players have to take a bit of flack due to their hesitancy yesterday and at Livi. 

Come to think of it, It’s probably a double header of big European game next and the fear of getting injured. Yesterday, I saw someone the bench several times jump up and angrily wave the players forward.

I guess it’s ultimately up to the coaches to let the players say know that’s not good enough. Saying that, Gerrard doesn’t help himself with his new found stubbornness to change things up in the second half.