*****The Official Rangers v Galatasaray Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kanjo said:

I can only remember a few months over the past 15 years to be quite honest. 

I've been saying it for years we are constantly hit with injuries. 

And it’s these niggles that turn into 5 or 6 weeks out.  We can’t be that unlucky surely- something isn’t right.

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

I’d hope there is discussions going on in the background between management and medical staff because the amount of injuries we’ve had have been nothing short of ridiculous. I can only really remember a 2 month spell out of the last 3 years when we’ve had everyone available. 

Any other time we’ve had 3+ first team players out on a weekly or monthly basis. I don’t think it’s good enough tbh

The NFL recently had to investigate the type of turf used at the Giants/Jets stadium due to a significant amount of serious injuries happening on it. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if our board took a cheaper option to save money without reviewing the wider picture.

1 hour ago, kanjo said:

I can only remember a few months over the past 15 years to be quite honest. 

I've been saying it for years we are constantly hit with injuries. 

Don't forget, we love nothing better than signing as many injury-prone players as possible. 

Galatasaray midfielder Arda Turan will miss his side's Europa League play-off against Rangers through illness but has tested negative for Covid-19.

The 33-year-old former Barcelona player is suffering from flu-like symptoms and a high temperature and will not travel to Glasgow for Thursday's match.

Rangers' "major doubt" for the game is striker Cedric Itten, who has picked up a knee injury in training.

They are hoping to reach the group stage for the third consecutive year.

The Ibrox side sit top of the Scottish Premiership, a point ahead of reigning champions Celtic but having played a game more, after Sunday's 5-1 win at Motherwell.

Gerrard signing hopes could hinge on Euro progress

Galatasaray are second on goal difference in the Super Lig after their 0-0 draw at home to Fenerbahce - a game in which Arda was substituted after 70 minutes.

Victory for Steven Gerrard's side could help Scotland overtake Turkey in the Uefa coefficient rankings and secure an automatic Champions League slot for the Premiership winners.

While the Ibrox manager's priority was progress that could give him the finances to further improve his squad, he pointed out that Scottish clubs had "worked ever so hard" to try to improve the coefficient.

"I think we've played our part, so I'm very proud of the players and what we've done," he said. "I think it will be a big boost to the country - something that we haven't had for a long time."

Team news

Itten's possible absence through injury comes at an inopportune moment given the Swiss striker scored his first two goals since his summer switch from St Gallen at Motherwell.

Rangers' options are strengthened, though, by the return to training of Ryan Jack and Brandon Barker. However, the game comes too soon for fellow midfielders Joe Aribo and Glen Kamara.

Galatasaray have stressed that Covid tests carried out on staff and players were negative, however captain and goalkeeper Fernando Muslera misses out as he continues his recovery from a broken leg.

Marcelo Saracchi, the Uruguay left-back on loan from RB Leipzig, and Turkey midfielder Emre Akbaba are also out, while Sweden winger Jimmy Durmaz is another absent from the travelling squad.

What do we know about Galatasaray?

It is the first time the two sides have met since 2000, when Galatasaray prevailed 3-2 at home and drew 2-2 in Glasgow in the Champions League group stage.

However, they are not the force they were. Although they reached the group stage of the Champions League last season, the 22-time Turkish champions finished sixth domestically, meaning there is a bit of pressure on manager Fatih Terim as he enters the fourth year of his fourth spell in charge.

What they said

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard: "Galatasaray are a good team, they've got fantastic players and a good coach and have big experience on the European stage. 

"They will probably be everyone's favourites, but we are going into this fixture in a good place and we're in good form at home. We have no fear, but we have huge respect."

36 minutes ago, M0NTANA said:

The NFL recently had to investigate the type of turf used at the Giants/Jets stadium due to a significant amount of serious injuries happening on it. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if our board took a cheaper option to save money without reviewing the wider picture.

giphy (15).gif

38 minutes ago, M0NTANA said:

We’ve always had injury issues, as far back as I can remember people have been saying there must be something wrong in training or blaming the surfaces, back to the days of Oleg Kuznetsov, Sebastian Rozental I remember people where saying this. It’s just football.

2 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

We’ve always had injury issues, as far back as I can remember people have been saying there must be something wrong in training or blaming the surfaces, back to the days of Oleg Kuznetsov, Sebastian Rozental I remember people where saying this. It’s just football.

It's just human nature to look for blame tbh. I should know better, I see it all the time with people investing money in shit and looking for anything to blame but their self.

1 minute ago, M0NTANA said:

It's just human nature to look for blame tbh. I should know better, I see it all the time with people investing money in shit and looking for anything to blame but their self.

We do seem to be a bit unlucky with injuries tbf mate but I think that’s genuinely all it is 

12 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

We do seem to be a bit unlucky with injuries tbf mate but I think that’s genuinely all it is 

Hopefully just getting them out of the way early this season. Be a long season if it keeps up at this rate. Frustrating, as Aribo was looking like he was coming on to a game, tail end of last season and beginning of this. Think he can be a difference maker for us this season now he's bulked up a bit and settled in.

1 hour ago, M0NTANA said:

giphy-40.gif

1 hour ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Back in the 90s, we had a terrible run of bad injuries the story was that the club doctor was a retired GP in his early 70s and wasnt picking up conditions he should have, and was past it. No idea if that was true. Oleg, Seb, Prodan and a few others. Olegs was a bad twist at McDiarmid to be fair. 

19 minutes ago, ayrshireranger said:

Oleg, Seb, Prodan and a few others. Olegs was a bad twist at McDiarmid to be fair. 

Memory ain't great these days but I'm sure Seb got his injury from going into a 50/50 poking home a goal, think it was a cup game against St J, but again my memory is shite.  :lol:

3 hours ago, M0NTANA said:

That will be it. We spent millions on a world class training centre then the board chose to buy turf from Trotters independent trading Company to save a few quid.

Nothing gets past you. 

50 minutes ago, ayrshireranger said:

Back in the 90s, we had a terrible run of bad injuries the story was that the club doctor was a retired GP in his early 70s and wasnt picking up conditions he should have, and was past it. No idea if that was true. Oleg, Seb, Prodan and a few others. Olegs was a bad twist at McDiarmid to be fair. 

Prodan already had the injury when we signed him. I don't think we even conducted a medical. Then we went and signed Colin Hendry for £4m. Those were the days.

19 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

That will be it. We spent millions on a world class training centre then the board chose to buy turf from Trotters independent trading Company to save a few quid.

Nothing gets past you. 

Aye just like our premium quality strips. Or making club legends redundant. Aye there’s been no signs of ineptitude by those running things right enough.

2 minutes ago, M0NTANA said:

Aye just like our premium quality strips. Or making club legends redundant. Aye there’s been no signs of ineptitude by those running things right enough.

Mate Rangers play on state of the art training facilities and at Ibrox. I put the injuries down to bad luck not what we play on

Astro turf whether on football or NFL should be banned. The injuries that occur on those surfaces are ridiculous. 

Archived