*****Official Aberdeen v Rangers Match Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

I suggested a 3 5 2 formation for the st Mirren game last week and I think its worth exploring in this game. Goldson Balogun and Helander with tav and borna at wing back. Kamara and Davis sitting with Hagi playing behind Itten and Morelos 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, MisterC said:

I suggested a 3 5 2 formation for the st Mirren game last week and I think its worth exploring in this game. Goldson Balogun and Helander with tav and borna at wing back. Kamara and Davis sitting with Hagi playing behind Itten and Morelos 

On paper I reckon that could arguably be a great formation for us however I don't think at this point of the season we should be experimenting with this kind of formation nor do I think gerrard has the tactical ability to do so either 

34 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Do they even use full backs against us?? Genuinely feel as tho the 5 at the back tactics they use are 5 cbs

They play Hedges, one of their only attacking outlets at RB against us. They essentially played 6-4-0 at Ibrox until we scored the second. They’re absolutely pathetic. 

I get the feeling the team and management had a just win mentality for the month of December, bar the first half v St Johnstone we have been very workmanlike and just got the job done. I’m hoping 4-5 days in the training ground will allow us to try and work on different things in the formation and hopefully get Tav and Barisic back into games as well as giving the opposing team even more things to think about. 

Looking forward to hopefully seeing us put on a bit of a performance but we’re missing the late runs from midfield (Arfield role) a lot in terms of creativity 

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

I get the feeling the team and management had a just win mentality for the month of December, bar the first half v St Johnstone we have been very workmanlike and just got the job done. I’m hoping 4-5 days in the training ground will allow us to try and work on different things in the formation and hopefully get Tav and Barisic back into games as well as giving the opposing team even more things to think about. 

Looking forward to hopefully seeing us put on a bit of a performance but we’re missing the late runs from midfield (Arfield role) a lot in terms of creativity 

That's a great point, i cant remember last time the team didnt have a midweek game. Hopefully they can recooperate and go back to a bit more freeflowing football. 

It'll really be fun if we manage to turn Aberdeen over (with training at home) and celtic fail to get all 3 points vs hibs. It'll really pile on how unnecessary the dubai trip is

3 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

Is anyone getting a bit downhearted tht the season is going to get stopped. Don't seem to be looking forward to this as much as the previous 22 league games.

Too much at stake this season, UEFA CL spots, EURO2020 etc. As the top leagues across Europe are the most tested regime in all of society - no reason to stop it at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Too much at stake this season, UEFA CL spots, EURO2020 etc. As the top leagues across Europe are the most tested regime in all of society - no reason to stop it at the moment.

A lot of higher ups has pushed football (and sports in general) as being essential to people in lockdown as a form of entertainment and keeping peoples moods high. 

Last season i feel was the right thing in terms of stopping the league (as did many countries but awarding the titles/promotions and demotions was a massive error by the SFA) because things were so fresh but now just shy of a year on with some many countermeasures in place there is no reason what so ever to stop the league and if they do, by the precedent they set last season they should hand out titles etc etc. 

Just now, RFCRobertson said:

A lot of higher ups has pushed football (and sports in general) as being essential to people in lockdown as a form of entertainment and keeping peoples moods high. 

Last season i feel was the right thing in terms of stopping the league (as did many countries but awarding the titles/promotions and demotions was a massive error by the SFA) because things were so fresh but now just shy of a year on with some many countermeasures in place there is no reason what so ever to stop the league and if they do, by the precedent they set last season they should hand out titles etc etc. 

The Olympic games will also be going ahead, although perhaps with no crowds and training schedule cut to isolate for 14days before.

10 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

The Olympic games will also be going ahead, although perhaps with no crowds and training schedule cut to isolate for 14days before.

We should fire a team in for that as well, just for the banter. 

The sheep will play a physical game and hope to score from a set piece. Their usual boring shitebag tactics.

Can see it being a frustrating game if we don't get an early goal. Not too bothered about the performance as long as we get a win.

Don't want to drop points and give the scum a glimmer of hope.

Win and keep them in their place. Their support are against them, the SNP are sniping at them and even the press are lining up to put the boot in. Keep winning and feed the timplosion.

1 hour ago, RFCRobertson said:

That's a great point, i cant remember last time the team didnt have a midweek game. Hopefully they can recooperate and go back to a bit more freeflowing football. 

It'll really be fun if we manage to turn Aberdeen over (with training at home) and celtic fail to get all 3 points vs hibs. It'll really pile on how unnecessary the dubai trip is

Last time we had a run that didn't have a lot of midweek games we didn't do so great (after the winter break, before the EL last 32) I often wondered if that was maybe the reason for our failings, rather than the dubai trip as so many blamed it on, as it completely changes the preparation for the games. Gerrard did say in a recent interview that we have trained very little since preseason due to the number of games, it's more been game specific preparation for each game as it comes. Hopefully my doubts are proven wrong and the full week allows us to get back to the basics that we obviously done so well with in preseason and we see some of the football we saw in the autumn.

17 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Tbf they were much better at pittodrie against the scum than they were against us this season

Don’t think the sheep have had a shot on target against us since December 2019.

13 hours ago, MisterC said:

That’s interesting as it would nullify their big lumps up the park and could still allow our fullback to give width. 

I actually think Kent off Morelos or Itten would work well, playing off the shoulder for second balls and making runs in behind. 

11 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

And Motherwell/Ross county in between.

Win all four and it’s done. 

Yeah I said this before St J game. Win all 8 games and it’s well and truly over. I said at the time that it’s a massive long shot but we are doing well so far.

I’ve been telling myself not to panic too much when we do drop points. We can afford to lose 3 games or draw 3 and lose 1.   I feel if these come after a long spell of winning games it’s not entirely a issue. 

If the scenarios above happened we would still be on 102 points come May. 

2 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Yeah I said this before St J game. Win all 8 games and it’s well and truly over. I said at the time that it’s a massive long shot but we are doing well so far.

I’ve been telling myself not to panic too much when we do drop points. We can afford to lose 3 games or draw 3 and lose 1.   I feel if these come after a long spell of winning games it’s not entirely a issue. 

If the scenarios above happened we would still be on 102 points come May. 

That’s a vital part, we will drop points somewhere but unlike years gone by we don’t need to panic. 

This month is key to our season and hopefully there is a the reintroduction of Jack, Arfield etc as we go.

2 minutes ago, Griffin Peterson said:

That’s a vital part, we will drop points somewhere but unlike years gone by we don’t need to panic. 

This month is key to our season and hopefully there is a the reintroduction of Jack, Arfield etc as we go.

Important the boys keep their nerve should they drop points, Jack and Arfield are big misses imo. Both offer that bit of grit in the midfield however id say Jack is better for defensive and Arfield better for going forward. 

Nothing else means we can rest Aribo, Kamara and Davis with someone reliable replacing them

4 minutes ago, Griffin Peterson said:

Aye I’d like them back ASAP tbh. 

2 players that would of been absolutely vital over this period. 

15 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Important the boys keep their nerve should they drop points, Jack and Arfield are big misses imo. Both offer that bit of grit in the midfield however id say Jack is better for defensive and Arfield better for going forward. 

Nothing else means we can rest Aribo, Kamara and Davis with someone reliable replacing them

What's the latest on Arfield and Jack?

How serious are the injuries and when can we expect a return?

Archived