Welcome to Rangers, John Lundstram.

30 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

I can see Lundstram becoming that quality CDM we have been missing for years.

His distribution is decent, hes strong in the tackle and has the experience to read the game as well as do the odd cynical one for the team as and when required.

He's not a CDM.

Certainly not in the system we play.

2 hours ago, BladeinPeace said:

Blades fan here given this thread got a mention on one of our boards, thought I'd give my take on Lundstram.

The bad: he's been with us for four years and the first two he struggled to get near the side. He's 27 and he's only really had one good season. When we went up to the Prem I don't think anyone thought we'd want hang on to him, let alone start him. Last season, I don't resent him holding out for better money, everyone knows we were paying lower wages than most of the division, but he definitely didn't deserve to be the highest paid in our team and there weren't a flood of offers for him elsewhere. Felt like he'd got the Billy big-time attitude and fans turned on him.

The good: When we went up to the Prem and the other players were on holiday, Lunny had gone abroad to find a top fitness coach to work his arse off and get in the team. The big change was that when we dropped the free role in behind the front two and went for a flat midfield three, he stepped up and shocked everyone with how good he was. I'd call him a defensive midfielder first but that's unfair to how good he can look playing box-to-box. When his heart was in it: fantastic workrate, never shirks a tackle. When we played Villa back in the Championship he took Grealish out the game, including one absolutely thundering challenge where he won the ball cleanly but sent Jack flying. Very well-rounded player, good range of passing, gets forward, the odd trick up his sleeve, and should have more goals to his name when you see how cleanly he strikes a ball.

I don't know what kind of player Rangers need right now but if it's a very solid all-round midfielder then you could've found a gem. On the other hand, it's still an open question as to whether he'll be one of those players who looks back on that one good season they had. Yeah, we're all a bit bitter about last season but he's put in some bad performances by anyone's standards. Tailed off to the end off his good season but so did a lot of players with the lockdown and whatever. If you get his best out of him he'll be a proper fan's favourite.

Cheers mate. Hopefully the fact we’re winning should keep him in a good mood. 

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Does anyone think he improves our strongest 11?

Or is the general consensus that he's about the same level with what we've got already and will just add to the rotation depending on form/opponent/injuries etc.?

I think he will definitely improve our strongest 11 for away matches at places like Easter Rd and Pittodrie with crowds back in, if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Does anyone think he improves our strongest 11?

Or is the general consensus that he's about the same level with what we've got already and will just add to the rotation depending on form/opponent/injuries etc.?

Better than a perma-injured Jack or Kamara when he’s no longer here, and an upgrade on Zungu. Strengthens the squad, time will tell if he helps the best 11. 

McGregor, McLaughlin, McCrorie

Tav, Patterson

Barisic, Bassey

Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Katic, Simpson

Davis, Kelly, Ofoborh

Kamara, Aribo, Kelly 

Jack, Lundstrum, Arfield

Kent, Wright 

Morelos, Sakala, Itten, Defoe

Roofe, Hagi

… is really a top squad in SPFL terms. 

If we can just shift the likes of Edmundson, Jones, Middleton, Barker, and any other dross we’re in great shape. If we hang onto Morelos and Kamara, even better. 

27 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

McGregor, McLaughlin, McCrorie

Tav, Patterson

Barisic, Bassey

Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Katic, Simpson

Davis, Kelly, Ofoborh

Kamara, Aribo, Kelly 

Jack, Lundstrum, Arfield

Kent, Wright 

Morelos, Sakala, Itten, Defoe

Roofe, Hagi

… is really a top squad in SPFL terms. 

If we can just shift the likes of Edmundson, Jones, Middleton, Barker, and any other dross we’re in great shape. If we hang onto Morelos and Kamara, even better. 

I think with the defence a lot will depend on how hard they push Katic, likely a loan at some point for him and/or Simpson.

Midfield Oforbh out on loan and you have a Kelly too many 😂👍🏻

A lot will depend on Kelly performance through preseason, if he performs well is it better for him to go on loan for 30 odd games at a decent level or stay here and learn from Davis etc and hopefully get similar game time as Patterson last year and see if he kicks on the same.

Does seem we are a bit too heavy on numbers but last season we had a run of suspension and Covid / injury and we couldn’t fill our bench at the end.

2 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

He's not a CDM.

Certainly not in the system we play.

I think you'll find he certainly was a CDM , a position I expect  the management team to ask him to fill again, although he has a skillset that allows him to play in other positions as well.

Certainly the best equipped player in the squad to fill the position of a modern CDM IMO.

1 minute ago, southcoastbear said:

I think you'll find he certainly was a CDM , a position I expect  the management team to ask him to fill again, although he has a skillset that allows him to play in other positions as well.

Certainly the best equipped player in the squad to fill the position of a modern CDM IMO.

The CDM in our team is expected to come deep, get on the ball and dictate the tempo of the game

Lundstrum's game is about getting round the pitch and being combative

3 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

The CDM in our team is expected to come deep, get on the ball and dictate the tempo of the game

Suspect we will see Jack playing where Davis does now more often with Lundstram on the right hand side of the midfield three.

3 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

That’s not really a CDM.

We already have Davis, Kamara (and Kelly if he sticks around) who play in that way.

A combative midfielder is more of a priority as the only one at the minute is Ryan Jack and he can’t be trusted to play all season due to his injury record.

Going by what the Sheffield United fan posted on here it would suggest he is indeed a CDM but like Jack he likes to get box to box and contribute going forward when needed.

3 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

That’s not really a CDM.

We already have Davis, Kamara (and Kelly if he sticks around) who play in that way.

A combative midfielder is more of a priority as the only one at the minute is Ryan Jack and he can’t be trusted to play all season due to his injury record.

Going by what the Sheffield United fan posted on here it would suggest he is indeed a CDM but like Jack he likes to get box to box and contribute going forward when needed.

Wit

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Suspect we will see Jack playing where Davis does now more often with Lundstram on the right hand side of the midfield three.

I’ve said this on here loads of times but imo Jack is wasted in that position. He’s at his best as a right of centre box to box player (where it’s looking Lundstram will play) - sadly I think the way his body is he just can’t go the distance there week in week out.

13 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Wit

You are saying a CDM collects the ball from deep and dictates play. I’m saying that isn’t the role of a CDM. 

Davis & Kamara play in the way you described and they definitely aren’t CDM’s.

A CDM is someone who will break up play and get stuck into the opposition attacking midfielders this description matches Ryan Jack (and going by what was posted on here earlier Lundstrum aswell) more than Davis or Kamara.

4 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

You are saying a CDM collects the ball from deep and dictates play. I’m saying that isn’t the role of a CDM. 

Davis & Kamara play in the way you described and they definitely aren’t CDM’s.

A CDM is someone who will break up play and get stuck into the opposition attacking midfielders this description matches Ryan Jack (and going by what was posted on here earlier Lundstrum aswell) more than Davis or Kamara.

No.