Welcome to Rangers, John Lundstram.

44 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’ve said this on here loads of times but imo Jack is wasted in that position. He’s at his best as a right of centre box to box player (where it’s looking Lundstram will play) - sadly I think the way his body is he just can’t go the distance there week in week out.

I agree but with his injury record that’s why I think he might play that deeper role going forward. A bit less movement and a far less dynamic role might be how we try and preserve his fitness and body going forward.

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

He’s what we’ve been missing I think, almost like a Jack/Arfield hybrid on just a slightly better level. Can’t wait to see him play here, he’ll never shy out a challenge and is very strongly built for this league. 

Like the mythical John Eustace but in the flesh do you mean?

Sheffield United fan here

Lundstram signed for us in the Championship and when our midfield maestro at the time Paul Coutts got a serious injury before Christmas, he was the direct replacement. 

In that first season, he couldn't fill Coutts' boots at all. He tries his best, but he just didn't have the ability to play the role of dictating play in the midfield. We slumped to a mid table finish which directly coincided with the injury and Lundstram coming into the side. 

In our second season back in the Championship, he couldn't get a game. Oli Norwood came in and played the playmaker role, Fleck played a box to box role and Mark Duffy playing behind the strikers. We got promoted to the Premier League, finishing 2nd.

In the first season in the Premier League, a change in system, and the departure of Mark Duffy meant we played a flat 3 in midfield. Lundstram was sprung into the team at RCM, in a box to box role to the surprise of almost every Blade. 

He had a knack of popping up with goals in the first half of the season, arriving late in the box. However if he didn't score, he was generally a 6.5/10. Solid, but rarely impacted a game. The mini run of goals didn't last particularly long either. 

In the second season in the Championship, more or less everyone was awful. The manager seemed to have lost the plot, and he'd play the same system that was clearly not working every week. Lundstram was completely ineffective, but not really worse than anyone else. He got a lot of stick due to not wanting to sign a new contract, and most Blades thought he'd have no chance at securing a contract with another PL side. 

You've got yourself a player, literally. I've no idea what he'll bring to your side that'll amaze you, but he could be a solid enough squad player. 

I’m in a wait and see mood with this transfer. By all accounts he’s been honking recently and seen many people say he’s only really had a brief spell of good form which is probably where most of the excitement is coming from. I believe that there’s a good player in there, I’m going to wait and see if we actually get it. Low risk, high potential, free transfer who won’t weaken the team, happy with it. If someone like Kamara leaves though I’d hope for another addition. 

On 06/07/2021 at 19:42, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

You are saying a CDM collects the ball from deep and dictates play. I’m saying that isn’t the role of a CDM. 

Davis & Kamara play in the way you described and they definitely aren’t CDM’s.

A CDM is someone who will break up play and get stuck into the opposition attacking midfielders this description matches Ryan Jack (and going by what was posted on here earlier Lundstrum aswell) more than Davis or Kamara.

Think that’s too much of a generalisation of a ‘CDM’ it’s just a position on the park the role they play is up to the system. For example Makalele sat the deepest of the midfield and was totally defensive where as someone like Pirlo was the deepest midfielder but was far more focused on the attacking phases of the game. 

Just now, stuart1994 said:

Think that’s too much of a generalisation of a ‘CDM’ it’s just a position on the park the role they play is up to the system. For example Makalele sat the deepest of the midfield and was totally defensive where as someone like Pirlo was the deepest midfielder but was far more focused on the attacking phases of the game. 

Here you! Don’t be adding to the confusion already on this. 🍻

One good season for a 27 yr old is not great stats. Didn't cut it at Everton followed by six loans to small clubs.

But if anyone can get the best out of a player it is Gerrard. We haven't had a ball winner in midfield for years.

Hopefully we all get to assess him on Saturday.

5 hours ago, stuart1994 said:

For example Makalele sat the deepest of the midfield and was totally defensive where as someone like Pirlo was the deepest midfielder but was far more focused on the attacking phases of the game. 

Makalele probably the best holding midfielder I’ve seen in my 60 years watching the game. For me he was actually the player that made Chelsea tick, not the big names in front of him.

On 07/07/2021 at 18:10, SomeNextGuy said:

Sheffield United fan here

Lundstram signed for us in the Championship and when our midfield maestro at the time Paul Coutts got a serious injury before Christmas, he was the direct replacement. 

In that first season, he couldn't fill Coutts' boots at all. He tries his best, but he just didn't have the ability to play the role of dictating play in the midfield. We slumped to a mid table finish which directly coincided with the injury and Lundstram coming into the side. 

In our second season back in the Championship, he couldn't get a game. Oli Norwood came in and played the playmaker role, Fleck played a box to box role and Mark Duffy playing behind the strikers. We got promoted to the Premier League, finishing 2nd.

In the first season in the Premier League, a change in system, and the departure of Mark Duffy meant we played a flat 3 in midfield. Lundstram was sprung into the team at RCM, in a box to box role to the surprise of almost every Blade. 

He had a knack of popping up with goals in the first half of the season, arriving late in the box. However if he didn't score, he was generally a 6.5/10. Solid, but rarely impacted a game. The mini run of goals didn't last particularly long either. 

In the second season in the Championship, more or less everyone was awful. The manager seemed to have lost the plot, and he'd play the same system that was clearly not working every week. Lundstram was completely ineffective, but not really worse than anyone else. He got a lot of stick due to not wanting to sign a new contract, and most Blades thought he'd have no chance at securing a contract with another PL side. 

You've got yourself a player, literally. I've no idea what he'll bring to your side that'll amaze you, but he could be a solid enough squad player. 

I must admit mate I used to work for Oxford United so would often go and watch them and I was surprised he got a move to a higher level  when he left Oxford and went to you. Your summary of him sounds fairly average and I’ll take your word for that because there were lengthy spells where he couldn’t get in your team even when it was struggling last season. 

what I would say is he’ll be better for the premier league experience and to be fair to our recruitment team they don’t get many wrong so I’ll put my trust in them with this one that they think he can do a job. 

8 hours ago, bluenoz said:

But if anyone can get the best out of a player it is Gerrard. We haven't had a ball winner in midfield for years.

Hopefully we all get to assess him on Saturday.

I have absolutely no doubt Gerrard knows exactly how he will use and develop him to full effect in this league. On top of this, after watching his interview, if Gerrard asked him to jump through burning hoops (excuse the phrase) he’d do it and in the process try 110% to please the manager. Of course things may not go to plan but on looking at recruitment to date I have every faith in this signing. Good luck JL…

He deserves a chance but we still need to look at another CM. Jack has his injury issues. Davis and Arfield are getting on. Kamara could leave. Ofoborh and Kelly are still young and untested. Aribo and Hagi are better further up. Another CM of good quality (especially if Kamara leaves) is definitely required.

On 06/07/2021 at 20:21, DBBTB said:

I agree but with his injury record that’s why I think he might play that deeper role going forward. A bit less movement and a far less dynamic role might be how we try and preserve his fitness and body going forward.

SG obviously wants at least two candidates for each position and role within his system. We hadnt got anyone else who does what Jack does, until now.

On 08/07/2021 at 23:36, Brackley Bluenose said:

I must admit mate I used to work for Oxford United so would often go and watch them and I was surprised he got a move to a higher level  when he left Oxford and went to you. Your summary of him sounds fairly average and I’ll take your word for that because there were lengthy spells where he couldn’t get in your team even when it was struggling last season. 

what I would say is he’ll be better for the premier league experience and to be fair to our recruitment team they don’t get many wrong so I’ll put my trust in them with this one that they think he can do a job. 

He was rarely ever the worst player on the pitch, just a bit underwhelming and ineffectual. He's got an engine, and like a said, at the very least he'd be a useful midfield squad option in a long, hard season.