Derek Ferguson

dee9

4 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Thought he was a very decent player.  Not unlike Barry's style.  Played against him a couple of times early teens and he bossed it.  Pretty sure Souness didn't see eye to eye with him.

Aye think you're right there, sure he's mentioned it on that open goal before and you can still tell there's a bit of beef to this day 

1 minute ago, born a blue nose said:

Aye think you're right there, sure he's mentioned it on that open goal before and you can still tell there's a bit of beef to this day 

Him Durrant and Ally used to hit the town a fair bit allegedly, don't think he was a happy man.

I'm sure he said Souness seemed jealous of him and McCoist and that Souness thought he was a bad influence on Durrant. 

I think he's mentioned before about what finished him was the incident on PWR with Durrant when they were both arrested. Durrant was still on crutches at the time. I think he got shipped off on loan to Dundee not long after and then sold to Hearts.

54 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Thought he was a very decent player.  Not unlike Barry's style.  Played against him a couple of times early teens and he bossed it.  Pretty sure Souness didn't see eye to eye with him.

I've heard a few people say he should have been a better player than Barry, including my old man. I've only seen him from videos, and tbf did look like a class player.

28 minutes ago, Blacky Bear said:

Think the best i remember him was 1986 skol cup final.

Dominated the midfield against SELIK, if im right.

Clearly clashed with Souness off the park sadly.

My first cup final. Best player 9n the pitch that day. 

13 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I'm sure he said Souness seemed jealous of him and McCoist and that Souness thought he was a bad influence on Durrant. 

I think he's mentioned before about what finished him was the incident on PWR with Durrant when they were both arrested. Durrant was still on crutches at the time. I think he got shipped off on loan to Dundee not long after and then sold to Hearts.

Wasn’t it McCoist and Durrant who were arrested? Certainly what Super says.

38 minutes ago, Blacky Bear said:

He would have loved getting one over Shepherd that day.  Always remember Durrant scoring and that donkey sprawling about trying to stop him.

9 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Nah, no matter your current stance on Barry Ferguson, he was a world class midfielder. 

Nearly every player that played beside Barry has him down as the best they've played with. 

Not down playing Derek a single but, but Barry, in my eyes, is one of our best midfielders ever.

Spot on mate.
Barry would have faced Goliath in Rangers colours.
Iirc. 
There was a story doing the rounds Derek and Durrant had an episode of horsing tumblers out of a taxi,and Souness probably saw signs he was going to waste a promising career.

51 minutes ago, Blacky Bear said:

He got man of the match in that game if I remember correctly. Really good player. 

27 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Nah, no matter your current stance on Barry Ferguson, he was a world class midfielder. 

Nearly every player that played beside Barry has him down as the best they've played with. 

Not down playing Derek a single but, but Barry, in my eyes, is one of our best midfielders ever.

I said should have, I’m not saying he was. It’s not an uncommon opinion either and it’s not mine - I said I’ve heard it from others.

Although I would say that Barry Ferguson was not a world class player. He never did anything in his career to remotely justify getting near that accolade.

Would agree though he was one of our best midfielders ever.

25 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I said should have, I’m not saying he was. It’s not an uncommon opinion either and it’s not mine - I said I’ve heard it from others.

Although I would say that Barry Ferguson was not a world class player. He never did anything in his career to remotely justify getting near that accolade.

Would agree though he was one of our best midfielders ever.

Did de Boer no say Ferguson was one of the best he had played with? Surely that is a slight justification on its own.

A get what you're saying, it's a cunt of a word to try pin to a player from here, but I genuinely believe on his day Barry was world class. 

1 hour ago, born a blue nose said:

He was class before he went to blackburn. Not so much when he came back as I think injuries caught up with him. 

7 minutes ago, northern bear said:

He was class before he went to blackburn. Not so much when he came back as I think injuries caught up with him. 

I'm sure he said he was getting injections throughout his full career, just so he could win us trophies. 

2 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

Did de Boer no say Ferguson was one of the best he had played with? Surely that is a slight justification on its own.

A get what you're saying, it's a cunt of a word to try pin to a player from here, but I genuinely believe on his day Barry was world class. 

On his day yes, like V Bayer Leverkusen. To be fair to Barry he had a pelvic problem that stopped him tackling ( except v them) and a brutal knee injury in England. Hard to say how good Derek could have  been because he pissed his talent up against the wall.