RIP Sir Walter

ForeverAndEver

4 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I've had a few drinks now and just want to say thanks to everyone on here for their reminiscences and kind words for Walter today. It made an awful day a little more bearable than it might have been. You're all a good lot and I'm proud to be a part of this support.

It’s times like these I’m so thankful and proud to be part of this family, in times of strife we know who our brothers and sisters are.

it’s great there are so many stories of the greatness, kindness and humility of Walter from so many people who have been fortunate enough to cross paths with him, definitely helped today.

Just now, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Will always be Mr Rangers to me, a true class act that I always looked up to growing up and to this day.

RIP.

He is mate.

Kenny miller said if you mention Rangers to him he thinks of Walter.

That's what I do.

He said on the radio the day btw that at one point when we were struggling it was rumoured he was coming back and the players were buzzing at the thought of it. This woulda been Warburton caxinha murty era.

Shows what he is at this club 

3 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Ah ok mate. Ages with me.

Just watching the 92/93 season review and had a question about cska game but you're younger than me.

Defo thought you were 48 :lol:

The Leeds game was the first Rangers game I remember, but I won't pretend to have a strong memory of the campaign, I'm afraid. 95-96 was the first season I really followed (as much as a child in England could).

Just now, JamieD said:

The Leeds game was the first Rangers game I remember, but I won't pretend to have a strong memory of the campaign, I'm afraid. 95-96 was the first season I really followed.

I just couldn't mind of we had beta cska we'd a been through or not lol 

Every tribute I read or listen to just relates what a true, humble, genuine human being that we all respected, God knows how many times today I have felt myself choking back tears

Listen to David Edgar, McCoist & Gerrard all lose it epitomises the love that people genuinely felt for the man

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I don’t think we could, it was 2 points for a win back then so we’d have been level with at least +3GD but they had +10, no idea if head to head was a thing but because we drew 2-2 at I Rox and 1-1 in France they’d technically have the better head to head.

The issue was the match fixing

4 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

He is mate.

That's what I do.

He said on the radio the day btw that at one point when we were struggling it was rumoured he was coming back and the players were buzzing at the thought of it. This woulda been Warburton caxinha murty era.

Said in another thread mate, without being crass, he was a big comfort blanket.  He just had it.

18 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I've had a few drinks now and just want to say thanks to everyone on here for their reminiscences and kind words for Walter today. It made an awful day a little more bearable than it might have been. You're all a good lot and I'm proud to be a part of this support.

Good post bud. We are the people, and one of the reasons we are the people is cause of men like Walter Smith 

Just now, hammer93 said:

Every tribute I read or listen to just relates what a true, humble, genuine human being that we all respected, God knows how many times today I have felt myself choking back tears

Listen to David Edgar, McCoist & Gerrard all lose it epitomises the love that people genuinely felt for the man

If this is how he affects people he has never met I can only imagine how hard this is for his wife, children and grandchildren right now and in the last few months during his battles.

I expected David Edgar to be very emotional but did a great job I thought, McCoist held it together far better than I would given the closeness he had with Walter but Gerrard really surprised me. For Walter to have had that kind of impact on Gerrard in such a short space of time is a clear sign that you met Walter and you couldn’t help but admire the man.

Its crazy there is always this overpowering pressure on us fans continually from the next game, the media, the other teams supporters it seems to never end and unfortunately has us bickering at each other but its times like this where we rise above and come together as one, for finals, for big games and for those that lead us. Fuck we are really unbeatable when we all in it together. Love you all 

watp.

10 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

He is mate.

That's what I do.

Every time we were struggling on the park everyone would be shouting bring back Walter.

That’s how good he was and what our support thought of him.

4 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Don’t think it mattered mate, pretty sure Marseille had better GD due to them pumping Brugge 6-1.

We battered CSKA iirc and Coisty missed a couple of decent chances.

Was an amazing campaign, from the silence when Gary Mac scored for Leeds to the roar when Hateley equalised, big Nizzy with  one of the craziest goals I had seen all gave me the bug to go see us away in Europe that I managed a few times with bank loans and tapping my old man.

Happy, happy memories from that season