RIP Sir Walter

ForeverAndEver

31 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

He would have been embarrassed at a defeat many times mate. He expected to win every game, he was the Rangers manager that's the mentality he embodied. 

I hope people realise this isn’t an argument here between us we are just giving our opinions on what we think he would have made of tonight

but I don’t think Walter was ever embarrassed as Rangers manager, very few of the players he managed ever gave him any reason to feel embarrassed during his time managing us, that’s the difference and probably why I’ve never seen him embarrassed 

he would have been disappointed, but like always he was humble and honest enough to praise the other team (even the tarriers) when his team lost, even teams getting a result by whatever means necessary, he done it himself in Europe.

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Was dreading today and already feeling pretty emotional and then got off the subway and the Louden was playing Wee Spot in Europe.

Immediately choking back tears as that was my Dad's best mates favourite song - he passed away in 2016. Decided I'd go see his memorial brick and the whole way walking down Copland Road and up to the stadium to see it, lips pursed, face tensed trying not to let it all out. Got to the brick and the floodgates opened thinking about all the games we watched together on TV with Walter as manager and all the moments we shared.

You weren’t the only one. The emotion was palpable 

5 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

I hope people realise this isn’t an argument here between us we are just giving our opinions on him

but I don’t think Walter was ever embarrassed to be the Rangers manager, very few of the players he managed ever game him any reason to feel embarrassed during his time managing us, that’s the difference and probably why I’ve never seen him embarrassed 

he would have been disappointed, but like always he was humble and honest enough to praise the other team (even the tarriers) when his team lost, even teams getting a result by whatever means necessary, he done it himself in Europe.

This all day mate 👍

51 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

Walter smith would have congratulated Aberdeen on getting something out of the game and admitted we weren’t good enough to get the victory tonight

this game wasn’t a tribute to Walter in any way, other than it was the first one after his death, I wouldn’t trust a single player who was on the park for us tonight to play in a match that was a tribute to that great man, these imposters aren’t worthy of getting to that standard based on this season, probably only Mcgregor in our full squad would start in a Walter team and even he’s not been up to his usual standards

After the high of last year in a miserable time for the whole world these players brought me some joy, it’s the only bit of credit they have left but that joy is over now, terry Munro is dead n buried and the anger is growing game by game, we were amazing last year but this year we are so bad it has you wondering if we just got really really fucking lucky

We didnt get lucky for 38 games ffs. 

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Certainly a different vibe in the air from normal.

I think the emotion from Walter’s passing is what led to the fans giving the players both barrels after we went 2 down. Ibrox is usually more passive but emotions were running high tonight 

9 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

I hope people realise this isn’t an argument here between us we are just giving our opinions on him

but I don’t think Walter was ever embarrassed as Rangers manager, very few of the players he managed ever game him any reason to feel embarrassed during his time managing us, that’s the difference and probably why I’ve never seen him embarrassed 

Only when Fergie and Boyd let him down with those ridiculous photos. 

6 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

We didnt get lucky for 38 games ffs. 

It could have been a 100 league unbeaten  season and I’d still feel that way based on the mess we are in now, some things about last season certainly worked in out favour but a league is won after 38 games not lucky mate I know that ffs

and if somehow we win it this year it will be deserved, just like the unbeaten one last year, but by fuck does it feel different man

Just now, Tomatasauce said:

It could have been a 100 league unbeaten  season and I’d still feel that way based on the mess we are in now, some things about last season certainly worked in out favour but a league is won after 38 games not lucky mate I know that ffs

Only difference is McGregor and the fans. What Tav said q couple of seasons back always sticks in the back of the mind. Winning the league last year you would think would fix that though...

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

I think the emotion from Walter’s passing is what led to the fans giving the players both barrels after we went 2 down. Ibrox is usually more passive but emotions were running high tonight 

There's a great part of me who actually enjoyed doing that tonight mate. No McGregor or Davis etc on the pitch so it was basically down to the fans to say we are Rangers and this is not good enough.

I've never seen the crowd go that tonto collectively before.

45 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

He would have been embarrassed for the players at fault for the goals we lost tonight but he wouldn’t have personally been embarrassed 

every comment you hear about Walter will probably have the word honest, humble, a good human being and football man

ive seen him angry but I’ve never seen him or even heard of anybody ever mention him being bitter or embarrassed to suffer a defeat, it’s only football, this result had absolutely nothing to do with Walter and was never a tribute to him, us fans would have found some comfort in the team showing a bit of bottle like his teams had in abundance but yes they failed, but failed us not him 

the only thing I’d say about Walter and this team we have now is, he wouldn’t have put up with a good few of them based on their performances this year, if Walter was our manager we wouldn’t have a problem right now, that’s what he had a habit of doing, fixing us and making his team win

He wouldn't need to be embarrassed. His team were winners and wanted to be winners. This team couldn't be bothered to make the effort bar a couple. It's tragic.

Walter had complete respect from his team. 

SG doesn't and he doesn't know what to do about that - unfortunately.  

Tonight made me think of that run of form under Walter, the start of the 2010-2011 Season.

1-0 down to St Johnstone. Win.

1-0 down to Accies. Win.

2-0 down to Aberdeen. Win.

1-0 down to Hearts. Win.

1-0 down to Motherwell. Win.

1-0 down to celtic. Win.

In a stretch of 7 games, we found a way to win and you always believed. Arguably the football wasn't as good as what it has been under Gerrard but the ball was always sucked into the net when it really needed to. How I miss that. 

It's hit me harder than I thought it would, I have never been so upset about loosing someone that I have never met. It just hurts on on so many levels, the least we could have done tonight was get a result but it must have been tough for them to go out there with all the emotions.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Can we fuck off with any pish about the game tonight in Walters memory, this thread is to share discussion to honour the man, not to bring current form into any thoughts of our memories of him.

Very well said.

25 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Tonight made me think of that run of form under Walter, the start of the 2010-2011 Season.

1-0 down to St Johnstone. Win.

1-0 down to Accies. Win.

2-0 down to Aberdeen. Win.

1-0 down to Hearts. Win.

1-0 down to Motherwell. Win.

1-0 down to celtic. Win.

In a stretch of 7 games, we found a way to win and you always believed. Arguably the football wasn't as good as what it has been under Gerrard but the ball was always sucked into the net when it really needed to. How I miss that. 

Also toiling against Hibs until Weiss came on and changed the game, we didn't really click until about 25 minutes to go.

Didn't get to a single game that season but it remains my favourite ever. 

I genuinely couldn't find the words to post since now. Watched tonight and bar the minutes silence still didn't feel real.

Had the team posters on the wall in my Dads house in the bedroom where I grew up from 86/87 until 96/97 and the constant there was Walter (and Jimmy Bell hence my profile picture).

This man gave me the best days of my life. Bar none. 

Had the pleasure of being in his company on a couple of occasions and he was the epitome of a gentleman, and a true and genuine Ranger.

Rest In Peace, Walter.

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Also toiling against Hibs until Weiss came on and changed the game, we didn't really click until about 25 minutes to go.

Didn't get to a single game that season but it remains my favourite ever. 

Funnily enough I went to every game that Season. 

That Hibs game always sticks out in my mind, can remember walking back to the bus with my mate saying Weiss would be the new Laudrup. :lol: 

32 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Can we fuck off with any pish about the game tonight in Walters memory, this thread is to share discussion to honour the man, not to bring current form into any thoughts of our memories of him.

Show some fucking decorum.

I don’t usually agree with you Brian, but yes. 

9 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Funnily enough I went to every game that Season. 

That Hibs game always sticks out in my mind, can remember walking back to the bus with my mate saying Weiss would be the new Laudrup. :lol: 

My abiding memory of that game was James Beattie desperately trying to run about but he was basically a sausage roll with legs. He was completely off the pace :lol: 

So many random things have popped into my mind in the last day. One picture I can't get out of my mind, must have been from the Rangers News from about 93 or 94, and its a picture from training where Walter is having a carry on playing air guitar and it was captioned something like 'Walter Van Halen'. I don't know where that has been hiding in the memory bank!