Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

Just now, Essandoh said:

Wilson has spoken openly before about his process at Southampton where he had an ongoing shortlist ready for future managerial appointments that ensured the transition was as quick and seamless as possible.

If he hasn’t done the same here after talking up our football department since he arrived then what has he been doing?

Talks should already be happening.

We will have an ongoing shortlist of potential candidates which will constantly be evolving as the months go on and hirings/sackings take place.

That doesn't mean you can just dip into that shortlist and get the name you want as well as backroom staff all signed within a couple of days.

Just not how it works.

The timing is awful but all that's on my mind now is I hope the board don't fuck up and we win the league. It's going to be a weird one for a while. I'm not a spiteful child and it's his life, so thanks for 55 and good luck. I might change my view if we don't win the fucking league though. 

2 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

We will have an ongoing shortlist of potential candidates which will constantly be evolving as the months go on and hirings/sackings take place.

That doesn't mean you can just dip into that shortlist and get the name you want as well as backroom staff all signed within a couple of days.

Just not how it works.

Will it be acceptable if we don’t have a manager in by the Semi Final then and potentially gift the beasts another easy trophy? Is it acceptable to take that risk? Genuine question, not sarcasm.

If that’s the stance for some then fine I’ll acknowledge that but they can’t complain if we get our arse handed to us at Hampden yet again because the squad is in disarray.

The League Cup is more than just the trophy - it’s a marker for the season and another game towards building the form required to get through November & December still top of the league.

Just now, RFC55 said:

So we've pursued a guy as a target since Wilson arrived for the day Gerrard walks out?

I think you're misunderstanding what Wilson said and done at Southampton. They had a shortlist always sitting with potential managers. They never had another manager on standby 

Okay well let’s simplify it then: what’s an acceptable deadline for a new manager to be appointed?

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Different game down there, i dont think many teams if any will stick 11 men behind the ball at home to villa, gerrard has been surprisingly good against opponents that come out to play

Exactly why I think he will do well down there mate. 

13 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

So here is my tuppence worth. 

It is clear they are going to make an official approach but i'm genuinely not sure if it is a cert, although there is a lot of media noise. If he wants the Liverpool job i'm not sure taking a job at Villa is the way to do it. For example if he stays with us, although managing in a smaller league with less resources if we win the league this year he manages a CL football club. With Villa yes he will have more money, but he will have no European football at all, not even Europa League. Aside from perhaps testing himself at the lower end of a better league he is stepping down a level in terms of international exposure. For all he is the prodigal son, there is no way Liverpool will look at someone kicking around the lower end of the league with minimal European experience. Look at what Klopp did prior to coming - he was one of the most highly-rated managers in European football. 

Equally there are lots on here wishing all sorts on him. There is no point being bitter if he leaves. At the end of the day nobody is bigger than us. He isn't a fan. He's not one of us. He's an employee. He has done well, improved our standards and brought the league home for which I am thankful. The key thing the club can do if he goes is ensure they make an ambitious appointment, not some also ran. We as a club need a big manager and to ensure we are not sold short with the compensation package.

Exposure from CL football from a Scottish team?? Nobody pays that much attention to Scottish football, managing a CL football club means fuck all in reality, popcorn teeth proves that. Rodgers went to a top 8 side and is now working his way into a top 4 job (again). 

SG being the Liverpool manager is a gimme, he could have stayed at Ibrox for 5 years and Klopp left and he would have been offered the gig(disaster permitting). He's looking likely to fuck off and be closer to home, Villa are a team that are currently underachieving with the squad, they've got the 5 or 6th richest backers and the CEO and Gerrard already know each other. Unless Stevie absolutely fucks it, he's going their and backing himself to take Villa into a Europa league team, do that consistently for 3 or 4 years and that achievement will be viewed better than winning a two horse race year on year. Can he do it? I don't think so, I think he could quite easily find himself as a mid-table/bottom half side year on year. 

I'm not bitter. 

There's better managers out there. Doubt we'll get someone who offers us the exposure that he did but I'm sure, recruiting correctly, we can get a very capable management team.

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

People need to remember Pedro and Gerrard's name came out of left field. No bookies were mentioning them until late on. I'm sure there will be candidates in place. Timing is everything now. If Ross Wilson is on COD I'd be worried.

I worked in a restaurant when I was at school and one day a duty manager noticed our boiler might have an issue that could be a serious health and safety risk. He asked our manager at the time if he should call the emergency engineer and the manager said "nah, I play COD with him sometimes, I'll just see if he's on it tonight". This would be even more negligent than that.