Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

The more I think about it, I dont think we have a hope in hell of signing GVB.

I think his wages would be high, but we could just about manage that. The issue would be when he asked about our playing budget and discovered even moves for cunts like Doig and Nisbett would be out of our reach.

Even if we were to sell someone for about £10m, I think we would only get about maybe £4m back to spend with the rest going into the coffers.

I think it is going to be a British manager. Someone like Martin, McInnes or Davidson.

Van Bronkhorst wouldn’t get an EPL team just now. However if he was to do well in 12-18 months then he could get the Aston Villa job. As much as I hate to admit it we are a stepping stone to the EPL and that could be our bargaining chip.

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Im not saying that, however people making out he stopped the ten like we halted a runaway juggernaut with barely any resources, and it took him 3 years and a tarrier implosion to do it

Credit where it’s due. He did well for us overall. And I’d say he generated most of the money spent on transfers with excellent runs in europa. 
Also we were unbeaten for the whole league season so nothing to do with implosions 

7 minutes ago, beararse said:

I would like GVB in. He is exactly what we need to follow Gerrard. Not convinced we’ll get him.

Fingers crossed.

If not GVB then someone of that ilk. We have come along way footballing wise since Gerrard came in, I think anyway, so would be good to keep that going. Someone with a modern brand of football and a real winners attitude.

1 minute ago, B1872 said:

Van Bronkhorst wouldn’t get an EPL team just now. However if he was to do well in 12-18 months then he could get the Aston Villa job. As much as I hate to admit it we are a stepping stone to the EPL and that could be our bargaining chip.

Trainee Rat then?

Martin’s very highly regarded down south and seemingly already in consideration for an EPL job (albeit Norwich). I wouldn’t rule him out just because he was so rubbish here as a player. One concern would be his commitment to a very specific style of football. His teams keep possession a lot but they don’t necessarily score or win. We’ve been down that road before. 

1 minute ago, B1872 said:

Possibly, but to do so I think he would expect to get the same kind of backing that Gerrard got, and I dont think we can offer that at this moment.

21 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Lampard should have stayed where he was and got some experience, it took Gerrard three years to win something, thankfully it was the one we all wanted, Lampard would be the same imo.

Correct mate, jumped at the chance of his dream job, though dare I say it Chelsea may have seen it as a win/win given the transfer embargo they had at the time of appointment.

Russell Martin - Nope, should remain in the banter years! 

Steven Davis - the only connection to our management should be his song! 

Frank Lampard - Went to a Rangers game once, the only reason he is being linked with us.

Alex Neil - Tarrier

David Martindale - Could transport the gear for our European aways.

GVB - Won’t touch us with our financial state.

leaves us McCann, McInnes or Jack Ross 🙄

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I doubt it, but even if he was, I think we could stretch to paying GVB what he wanted wage wise, i just think he would be disgusted at the type of player we would be able to go after for him.

What's wrong with Nisbet?

1 hour ago, Siam69 said:

With the budget he'll have and who he can buy with it, he'll not be going for any of our players, bar maybe Patterson.

He’s still relatively speaking shopping in the bargain basement .He not going to be able to take Pogba off Man U .

There are a good few in our squad would do a job in EPL ,It gets spoken about all the time when we value our own .Villa would be a level that some of our players would find achievable.

Kamara ,Aribo,Barasic and of course Paterson for the future .