OFFICIAL: Gio Appointed Manager

Broxi

4 hours ago, LaaRFC said:

Would need to be Michelle McManus with her arse out for them to have any chance of hitting it at the moment 

I could punt a ball from here and it wouldn't be that far off lard arse.
One of my favourite jokes was based on a true story.
My son bought a boy racer number along Helen Street and asked me how to lower the suspension,and i told him to see if mick mcmanus had a boyfriend.

8 hours ago, Broxi said:

If Makaay was saying less tricks, keep it simple people will be saying it’s great. 

If Makaay was saying be more confident, add some flair and creativity to your game people would also say it was great. 

There’s absolutely nothing to read into there. They will be judged on the pitch in the coming months 

For me it wasn’t what he said, but the way he said it that I liked. 

14 hours ago, magic8ball said:

That worked a treat back in the day getting basic fitness into guys that sat about swallying for 2 months during the summer .

That’s the point though.  It is just a method to sharpen fitness, nothing more. There are no end of approaches nowadays to get players fit.  You could argue that our approach doesn’t really work with 1 trophy out of 10, or whatever it is.  Newer is not always better.

52 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

That’s the point though.  It is just a method to sharpen fitness, nothing more. There are no end of approaches nowadays to get players fit.  You could argue that our approach doesn’t really work with 1 trophy out of 10, or whatever it is.  Newer is not always better.

Don’t think it’s a physical issue regarding cup football .

When you look back at our recent cup defeats the opposition have been right up for it .Now you can’t always overcome a team right up for it . But moving forward we need to be ready to battle like fuck from the off and let the quality come through .

1 hour ago, DMax399 said:

Modern players are far fitter than players of 10 years ago, let alone 40 years ago, and modern sports science is a significant factor, so yes newer is better in this case. 

Besides, do you really think fitness is the issue with the players, and running about the sand for a day in pre season will fix it?

First of all we know it is only a wee video of some training and I have no idea how it compares to SG, but I liked to see Gio taking part and the players looked as if they are enjoying it as well.

I suppose we will find out tomorrow night if he has managed to install in such a short time, any believe, determination and will to win. 

14 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

First of all we know it is only a wee video of some training and I have no idea how it compares to SG, but I liked to see Gio taking part and the players looked as if they are enjoying it as well.

I suppose we will find out tomorrow night if he has managed to install in such a short time, any believe, determination and will to win. 

Funny how Gio is better at the boxes than some of the players

6 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Modern players are far fitter than players of 10 years ago, let alone 40 years ago, and modern sports science is a significant factor, so yes newer is better in this case. 

Besides, do you really think fitness is the issue with the players, and running about the sand for a day in pre season will fix it?

It’s more about mentality mate.  Modern players are generally weaker mentally than previous generations, in my opinion anyway.  Toughening the body using older methods such as the dunes also toughens you mentally, more so than doing a few 20m baselines on a pitch.  The original comment about the dunes was just an acknowledgment that it had its time, as Wallace won 2 trebles using that method.

I don’t believe the players are particularly unfit, but I do believe a lot of them are mentally weak yes.  

As an example:  when we was still serving in the Army; Tranmere Rovers came to our base for a 5 day training camp as such.  We were an Airborne unit so our fitness levels were high, but I remember how quickly the Tranmere guys started to fall back or drop out on what we considered to be relatively easy runs over average distances, considering they were full time professionals.  The truth is that our training methods, albeit less scientific and modern than theirs were far more effective at producing arguably far fitter individuals, but also far more mentally stronger individuals, who don’t give up as soon as the going gets a little uncomfortable.

I saw a lot of our players display those characteristics on Sunday.

A little off topic and out of context but an example of where a training regime with origins in the 1940s, outperformed a professional football training regime in 2010.

38 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

It’s more about mentality mate.  Modern players are generally weaker mentally than previous generations, in my opinion anyway.  Toughening the body using older methods such as the dunes also toughens you mentally, more so than doing a few 20m baselines on a pitch.  The original comment about the dunes was just an acknowledgment that it had its time, as Wallace won 2 trebles using that method.

I don’t believe the players are particularly unfit, but I do believe a lot of them are mentally weak yes.  

As an example:  when we was still serving in the Army; Tranmere Rovers came to our base for a 5 day training camp as such.  We were an Airborne unit so our fitness levels were high, but I remember how quickly the Tranmere guys started to fall back or drop out on what we considered to be relatively easy runs over average distances, considering they were full time professionals.  The truth is that our training methods, albeit less scientific and modern than theirs were far more effective at producing arguably far fitter individuals, but also far more mentally stronger individuals, who don’t give up as soon as the going gets a little uncomfortable.

I saw a lot of our players display those characteristics on Sunday.

A little off topic and out of context but an example of where a training regime with origins in the 1940s, outperformed a professional football training regime in 2010.

You really can't compare soldiers with guys that kick a football about for a living, and shite ones at that.

I'd expect guys who have stamina and endurance drilled into them every day to out run footballers, but then I think they'd probably beat you at football, mentally weak or not.

15 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

You really can't compare soldiers with guys that kick a football about for a living, and shite ones at that.

I'd expect guys who have stamina and endurance drilled into them every day to out run footballers, but then I think they'd probably beat you at football, mentally weak or not.

Opinions are everything.