*****The Official Rangers v Dundee thread *****

RS4_wul

Just now, johanvanhentze said:

I remember thinking that those performances were boring.. but as you grow older its the performance you prefer. Lower stress levels.

The biggest change has been the defence. We know we have the players to break down and shut out every team in Scotland. Proved it last season, starting to show it again. 

Just now, Redwhiteandblue said:

The biggest change has been the defence. We know we have the players to break down and shut out every team in Scotland. Proved it last season, starting to show it again. 

We had a couple of moments today, but on the whole a shitload better!

Just now, Bakbear said:

It just reinforces that we the fans don’t really have a clue what’s going on behind closed doors. And maybe that’s as it should be but there are things that with the benefit of hindsight would suggest that the team were entirely focussed on stopping the ten.

Goldson referring to last season being inspired by “the Last Dance” never sat right with me. That documentary was about the Chicago Bulls swansong and the team going out as champions.

Gerrard saying “we were given a remit and we accomplished it” 

I think Gerrard fully intended on stopping the ten and then fucking off and I think he maybe let some of his players know that too

All good points. Agree on certain players seeing last season as the pinnacle. This team had to learn how too win the hard way and went through some really cruel lows along the way.

Not so sure on Gerrard. Don’t think he would have jumped for any team in the Prem. Villa have a brilliant squad and have spent over £300m over the last few years. Compare that against our situation: no buyers for our sellable assets, £120m losses accumulated in 8 years and shopping in the bargain bin for the shite like Simpson, Oboforh, and Wright.

I don’t think he was done the day we lifted 55, but the grass quite understandably turned greener on the other side over the months that followed. From there standards drop pretty quick and you get the performances we’ve turned in so far this season. Just glad we got a shake up before it was too late. 

1 minute ago, Vanoli said:

All good points. Agree on certain players seeing last season as the pinnacle. This team had to learn how too win the hard way and went through some really cruel lows along the way.

Not so sure on Gerrard. Don’t think he would have jumped for any team in the Prem. Villa have a brilliant squad and have spent over £300m over the last few years. Compare that against our situation: no buyers for our sellable assets, £120m losses accumulated in 8 years and shopping in the bargain bin for the shite like Simpson, Oboforh, and Wright.

I don’t think he was done the day we lifted 55, but the grass quite understandably turned greener on the other side over the months that followed. From there standards drop pretty quick and you get the performances we’ve turned in so far this season. Just glad we got a shake up before it was too late. 

Imagine if we had that to spend :lol: 

1 minute ago, tm91 said:

What's really reassuring is that Gio has come in, immediately assessed what we need to do and has fixed things:

• He's made us more compact and pulled the full-backs in, which has made us more solid and is getting the best out of Borna.
  • He's playing only the 1 holding player, and Kamara looks better in that role, playing more centrally
  • We're no longer playing with a flat midfield 3, and we now have midfielders trying to break the lines - which in particular is getting the most out of Aribo, who is rotating with the left winger and the right winger
  • We're playing with genuine width, stretching teams while remaining solid as per the 1st point
  • We're seeing signs of the old Alfie - his goal being the perfect example - albeit it's slow progress
  • We look far more direct generally, are making far more passes in the final third, and are taking more shots

Given he's had so little time and has to come in and get us firing straight away, he's started brilliantly. And it's all different types of wins - a solid European performance, a comprehensive away win at a tricky ground, a tight win where we had to dig in deep and just take the points, and now your standard decent home win against a team playing with a packed defence.

Gio is absolutely proving to be the real deal.

:848696413_goodpost:

1 minute ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Great performance, ref bottled it from booking the wee Paedo a 2nd time but fuck him, should have been 10 nil.

Aribo outstanding again. Our best player this season thus far. 

100%. Was a booking all day long. Shat it because the moon howlers would give him grief. 

4 minutes ago, tm91 said:

What's really reassuring is that Gio has come in, immediately assessed what we need to do and has fixed things:

• He's made us more compact and pulled the full-backs in, which has made us more solid and is getting the best out of Borna.
  • He's playing only the 1 holding player, and Kamara looks better in that role, playing more centrally
  • We're no longer playing with a flat midfield 3, and we now have midfielders trying to break the lines - which in particular is getting the most out of Aribo, who is rotating with the left winger and the right winger but playing behind the striker
  • We're playing with genuine width, stretching teams while remaining solid as per the 1st point
  • We're seeing signs of the old Alfie - his goal being the perfect example - albeit it's slow progress
  • We look far more direct generally, are making far more passes in the final third, and are taking more shots

Given he's had so little time and has to come in and get us firing straight away, he's started brilliantly. And it's all different types of wins - a solid big game performance in Europe, a comprehensive away win at a tricky ground, a tight win where we had to dig in deep and just take the points, and now your standard decent home win against a team playing with a packed defence.

Gio is absolutely proving to be the real deal.

Spot on. 

13 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Big Bassey plays his part there, he wants to win first balls and presses right up against the opposition cf/s, he hast the pace to burn also if turned, we dont have that under goldson/balogun. Helander gets away with it because hes clever and bassey would learn well off him too.

Goldson and Barasics best game for god knows how long, fair play. Still think he`ll be off after the tarriers game i think.

Best performance of the season for me . My only gripe is we scorned too many big chances , but I'd have taken a 3-0 before kick off . 

Looking forward to a difficult run of games a lot more positively now after these last couple of weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Think he knew his path lay elsewhere a while ago. He might not have jumped at any EPL opportunity but, like the rest of us, once you start looking for another job the reality is your heart is not 100% in it anymore.

I suspect he would have fancied getting Past Malmö and having a crack at Champions League. When that didn’t happen I suspect he just lost the hunger and that cascaded to the team. 

Anyway, we may never know but it looks like Gio is turning them around and bringing the hunger and passion back. We were utterly dominant today and hopefully we will only get better