Hagi

jjbscotty12

What money are we realistically going to get for an attacking player that has 0 assists and 1 goal in 13 appearances this season?

Being played on the right wing isn’t going to do him any favours. He’s criminally slow. But he does have good feet so if he’s going to play it has to be central

When he plays wide he makes the game look hard as fuck.

Constantly struggling to keep up with the pace and physicality of things, both going forward and tracking back.

Can only be used surely in a more narrow role, either as an inside number 10 type/attacking midfielder. He has, for the most part, good technical ability, a good eye for a pass and is comfortable with two feet.

That daft rabona aside, he was at least brighter in the second half (first half atrocius), but not doing enough for starting 11. 

He gives the ball away too much to play in the middle

Fine if it was trying things in the final third that weren't coming off but it's always stupid stuff like falling over the ball or taking a terrible touch under no pressure

4 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Looking at it I think he will be one of those allowed to leave and bring in money. All the talent and attitude to be a huge success but his inconsistency and lack of acceleration and pace will see him struggle to maintain a starting place in this new tactical setup. 

I think we would listen to offers for almost any of our players if they are decent, and the same applies to him if we can make a solid profit. Gio seems to like him though as I think that Dutch mentality is to have players that can play in multiple positions. Although clearly his best position is centrally, he is an intelligent player with good technique who can in theory play as an 8, 10, 7 or 11, although is very slow, especially in those wide positions. His inconsistency as you say is still a problem and his returns this season haven't reached the numbers of last season. 

On 19/12/2021 at 14:45, Malkytfp1 said:

I'm no sure he improved at all yesterday. I don't see the fascination with him and never have but it's just my opinion.

He has a poor touch, often costs him. Has zero pace. Often struggles taking the ball into feet with his back to goal. His dead ball ability doesn't do much either. Those are pretty important attributes required for a number ten. He can't play deeper in midfield because he is useless defensively off the ball.

To balance it, I think he has good vision even though he often overhits passes and is technically decent with both feet. He feels like a player who requires time and space to make something happen which he won't get in our league. These are all things people have said since day dot and I'm not sure he's improved in any those departments. His biggest issue is consistency and when going for a title you can't afford to carry a player as often as he does. 

He also got the same said about him at Anderlecht and still does for the national team. I'll always support someone wearing our badge but there are better options than him and he is 100 percent someone we wouldn't miss for a decent fee. Probably to a league where he may have the time and space required to shine.

He was at Genk not Anderlecht but it is difficult to disagree with the rest of your post.

3 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

What money are we realistically going to get for an attacking player that has 0 assists and 1 goal in 13 appearances this season?

Being played on the right wing isn’t going to do him any favours. He’s criminally slow. But he does have good feet so if he’s going to play it has to be central

We will be fortunate to recoup our money on him with his present form.

1 hour ago, DrLaudrup said:

I think we would listen to offers for almost any of our players if they are decent, and the same applies to him if we can make a solid profit. Gio seems to like him though as I think that Dutch mentality is to have players that can play in multiple positions. Although clearly his best position is centrally, he is an intelligent player with good technique who can in theory play as an 8, 10, 7 or 11, although is very slow, especially in those wide positions. His inconsistency as you say is still a problem and his returns this season haven't reached the numbers of last season. 

What's the difference between an 8, 7 and 11?

• 5 weeks later...

Said it last night. Can never start a game with both Hagi and Wright in the starting lineup. Too often they were passengers. Gave the ball away too many times again and when your playing in the middle of the park you simply can't do that. I'm saying that he made some good runs into the box last night and his goal was evident of that. Still not convinced by him but I've always been his biggest critic.

Never a first team regular, said it months ago that moving him more central would just lead to him turning over  possession in dangerous areas. Talented player but just not suited to our brand of football. If anyone is willing to match our outlay it should be snapped up.