Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

1 minute ago, born a blue nose said:

His fitbaws been brutal from day one let's be honest. Take away that euro run and PSV and it's a bleak picture.

Even PSV was a total fuck up from them in all honesty. The goal that decided the tie was a shambles defensively then their keeper had a howler in the first leg. 

Just now, PromDeAnglais said:

Even PSV was a total fuck up from them in all honesty. The goal that decided the tie was a shambles defensively then their keeper had a howler in the first leg. 

Aye kinda meant more they results, right from the beginning in the league not winning by more than 2-0 etc shoulda been a red flag

1 hour ago, SIRB_72 said:

Calvin Bassey

Yeah,Gio was in like mid November. 

Bassey had already played maybe 3 /4 games. 

Kept him in and he improved , so 1 maybe 2 players at a push. 

Transfers in and out have been poor, outwith Bassey. 

Squad Managment has been poor, most of the player starting for us in Europe recently will be retiring/leaving on a free end of season

Gio:

55 games in charge 36 wins, 9 draws, 10 loses.

Team has won by 1 goal 10 times in those wins.

All the draws are 1:1 or 2:2 taking the lead in 6 of them (9)  some lows, County, motherwell, arabs, sheep

Loses are majority away from home.(7) Europe, Piggery predominantly.

Play style is lethargic and often a hard watch or nail biting last 15 mins.

Players regressed, Kent, Tav, Morelos,  Kamara, Sakala, Jack, 

Injuries have played a big part, I still think he really has some time in the bank with us, but it's a slow death as any more poor performances, dropped points and its over. 

I think we are seeing an accumulation of things that have been going wrong over a period of years, coming to fruition. Stewart Robertson joined us in 2015 under King and brought a Motherwell mentality to the job. Dave King with all his battles, poor decisions and court cases. A series of bad decisions with manager appointments ensured our levels of professionalism were poor until Gerrard arrived and upped the standards but we had a lot of poor quaility players on the books at that time and still have. The management board have consistently made a series of poor decisions.

Money to buy quality has not really been there due to off field decisions. The players we have brought in under Wilson have mostly not been good enough and I would say with a hit rate of 1 in 5 being near the standard required. If I remember right Gerrard identified Bassey when he saw him at Leicester while he was Liverpools under 18 manager and told Wilson to get him.

Gerrard implemented a style of play based on 433 and we are still in roughly the same style of play, with possession being the all in all, this is why we have back pass square ball. GVB has came in with a similar approach and with roughly the same players who won 55. But during this time we won the Scottish cup and got into a European Cup final so these players could raise their game, but they are now 1 and 1/2 years older and are passed their best or have went stale now. We have also lost Bassey who was one of our main driving forces in Europe. Other players are older and it is catching up with them or they are out of form. Our recruitment has been mostly poor with us signing lots of injury prone players or players who are just not good enought but we are hoping they will improve and this means we are paying wages to players who are not contributing now when we need it.

We have went from being a work in progress, to a position of strength and back to a work in progress again due to bad decision making, not spending money on the right players at the right times and consistent inadequacy at the boardroom level. We now have a collection of aging players, injury prone players, sub-standard project players and stale ever present players with a manager who appears to have a reluctance to have a attacking risk taking team and prefers a safety first approach.

From top to bottom we have problems to sort but I don't see anyone with the ability at any level that I have confidence in, being able to fix this.

Sorry for the long post and i hope I am very wrong in my thoughts.

36 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

People do have short memories when it comes to Gerrard. Covid literally saved his job. Hearts away and Hamilton at home were as poisonous as I’ve ever heard our support. He had St Mirren away, Leverkusen away and them at home, he’d have been finished after those 3 games. 

I do agree we’d not have been soundly beaten by them under Gerrard but then again you can’t be a professional football manager and be furious you weren’t allowed £4m to spend on Kevin Nisbet. 

I’m absolutely baffled by the Gerrard love in since we got beat few Saturdays ago.

Cunt overseen them winning numerous trebles, the yardstick seems to be he didn’t get embarrassed off them in a one off game yet embarrassed us by not putting a challenge in after February bar one year along with our atrocious cup record. 

4 hours ago, BigBearButt said:

Umm no they dont :lol:

A DOF basically acts as a go between between the board and manager which granted also includes dealing with all aspects of contracts to cover the other things but you are smoking Crack if you think Wilson tells GVB how to set up his team for match days. You think he is on a walkie talkie to GVB during a match telling him he isnt allowed to change shape during a game? 'Aye Gio you are allowed to switch to 5 at the back cause we are getting pumped'

Their job is supposed to make it easier for the manager to focus on training and on pitch performances....doesnt quite work for us.

Ok it's not only the DoF...but there's agreements on the setups and how it's going to work.  

The setup was supposed to be as I said tho. The younger teams were also supposed to play the same system to allow seemless integration. 

Either way...all need to go. 

2 minutes ago, Mondraker said:

Ok it's not only the DoF...but there's agreements on the setups and how it's going to work.  

The setup was supposed to be as I said tho. The younger teams were also supposed to play the same system to allow seemless integration. 

Either way...all need to go. 

No the manager decides how his team lines up - he doesnt say oh my youth team dont play that formation so I cant - fucking ridiculous comment

Gerrard implemented the high pressing style which was then encouraged to be rolled out across all teams through to the youth.

They do all need to go thats the only sensible thing you have said 

He needs to go. There can be no debate.

Our players look utterly bereft of confidence. They actually look scared to try anything risky at all.

This is not a player problem it is a manager problem. If it was just Kent who looked terrified then you could blame him, but it’s every single player.

As soon as we got the goal you could see no one wanted to go forward. They only wanted to keep the ball. It’s fucking embarrassing.

And don’t try to tell me that the players aren’t capable  every single one of these players have demonstrated they have an abundance of talent when correctly coached and motivated with the right tactics.

Dundee United were absolutely fucking shite today and yet they caused us real problems. 

It’s unfortunate to be talking of a new manager already but the regression is staggering. The guy is a fucking coward and sends out his teams to “keep the zero”. Well our players excel when they are attacking the opposition and going for it and that he can’t see that, and instructs them to play in reverse means he needs sacked now. 

4 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

He needs to go. There can be no debate.

Our players look utterly bereft of confidence. They actually look scared to try anything risky at all.

This is not a player problem it is a manager problem. If it was just Kent who looked terrified then you could blame him, but it’s every single player.

As soon as we got the goal you could see no one wanted to go forward. They only wanted to keep the ball. It’s fucking embarrassing.

And don’t try to tell me that the players aren’t capable  every single one of these players have demonstrated they have an abundance of talent when correctly coached and motivated with the right tactics.

Dundee United were absolutely fucking shite today and yet they caused us real problems. 

It’s unfortunate to be talking of a new manager already but the regression is staggering. The guy is a fucking coward and sends out his teams to “keep the zero”. Well our players excel when they are attacking the opposition and going for it and that he can’t see that, and instructs them to play in reverse means he needs sacked now. 

This. He's a negative risk averse manager who plays to try and not lose games rather than win them.

It's actually almost incredible that with such a cautious timid manager that our defence and goalkeeping performance has been allowed to regress as much as the attacking part of the team. You'd think that a cowardly mouse-hearted manager would at least get the defence solid. 

37 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Mind that 1-0 up at St Johnstone. One of the worst games I’ve ever seen :megaanguish:

Think it was @McEwan's Lager who mentioned it recently. One moment of quality after 5 minutes and then absolute dross for the next 85. I was stunned we didn't concede a shitey equaliser - an example how bad St Johnstone were that day.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

There is absolutely nothing to suggest he would play anything but long ball percentage football.

I’m not really sure where this comes from. I remember we played them a few years ago under Warburton and they played us off the park with decent football. Defensively robust but he did also play forward thinking wide players and they could play a bit. Not saying he’s the answer just commenting that I don’t think he as a manager gets a lot of credit for what he did with Burnley. Would’ve been on the smallest budget every year he was in the EPL. 

5 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

I’m not really sure where this comes from. I remember we played them a few years ago under Warburton and they played us off the park with decent football. Defensively robust but he did also play forward thinking wide players and they could play a bit. Not saying he’s the answer just commenting that I don’t think he as a manager gets a lot of credit for what he did with Burnley. Would’ve been on the smallest budget every year he was in the EPL. 

See on the topic of who would replace GVB, ….I am astonished that it is so hard to get a manager in that could coach the players we have, to win this league, and put up a fist of it against European opposition. This is more or less a team of players that beat Benfica, Leipzig, Dortmund and PSV. 

I could pick a handful of posters off this forum that could probably do a better job than Gio. 😂

Anyway, failing that. Take the 10 million from the Aribo sale and go get Michael Beale from QPR 

I have serious doubts over Gio and it looks like our run in Europe last season has papered over a lot. However I do believe that sometimes the managers role is given too much importance. Ultimately it comes down to having good players. Yes we know that in the past that some of our players are capable of better but it’s not abnormal for players ability to diminish over time and that is what we are seeing. Our biggest issue has been our recruitment since we won 55. It’s been nothing short of horrific. Is Gio the man for me? I’m not sure but I’m also unsure if the best managers in the world could get a tune of such a stale squad. 

2 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

See on the topic of who would replace GVB, ….I am astonished that it is so hard to get a manager in that could coach the players we have, to win this league, and put up a fist of it against European opposition. This is more or less a team of players that beat Benfica, Leipzig, Dortmund and PSV. 

I could pick a handful of posters off this forum that could probably do a better job than Gio. 😂

Anyway, failing that. Take the 10 million from the Aribo sale and go get Michael Beale from QPR 

He drew 0-0 with Stoke at home today. 

5 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

I have serious doubts over Gio and it looks like our run in Europe last season has papered over a lot. However I do believe that sometimes the managers role is given too much importance. Ultimately it comes down to having good players. Yes we know that in the past that some of our players are capable of better but it’s not abnormal for players ability to diminish over time and that is what we are seeing. Our biggest issue has been our recruitment since we won 55. It’s been nothing short of horrific. Is Gio the man for me? I’m not sure but I’m also unsure if the best managers in the world could get a tune of such a stale squad. 

Just can’t agree to any of this. It is wrong tactics that have our players playing back the way constantly.

Christ today there were numerous occasions where our players were In possession running forward and then just stopped for no reason and turned back and played a backward pass. That is 100% what they are being told to do. 

Declining players in their mid 30s I get. But Kent, Goldson, Tav, Jack, Lundstram are not going backwards because of age or time. They are diminishing because they are being coached and directed badly 

6 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Fucking hell. Can we please stop with this absolute fucking lunacy?

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

200 pages.

How many more before either the club or Gio do the right thing and get him out the door?

At least another 200. No way will they make a quick decision on this. The Europa League final and the massive Bassey profit has bought him at least this season in the eyes of the board. 

17 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Just can’t agree to any of this. It is wrong tactics that have our players playing back the way constantly.

Christ today there were numerous occasions where our players were In possession running forward and then just stopped for no reason and turned back and played a backward pass. That is 100% what they are being told to do. 

Declining players in their mid 30s I get. But Kent, Goldson, Tav, Jack, Lundstram are not going backwards because of age or time. They are diminishing because they are being coached and directed badly 

We can agree to disagree but I sit behind the dugouts and Gio was also visibly telling them to go forward at times and was annoyed several times when players went backwards. He’s maybe not giving them the confidence to do it, I don’t know. As a player he was a forward thinking midfielder/left back and played under very attack minded coaches all his career. The players need to take responsibility too and whether they like the manager or not they need to be doing it for themselves and the fans. I think the bulk of the criticism should fall at the players feet.