Barry: I'd rather win the league than Europa

14 minutes ago, AljayBoy said:

The 1 or 2 minutes between our game ending and the other group game ending felt like a life time, and although mobiles were a thing it wasn't like today where everyone in the crowd could check (assuming you get a signal), so we all waiting on the announcement coming over the tannoy - mental scenes!:dance:

But on topic, I'd take the Europa League win this year, for the reputational and financial benefits, plus it puts us into the groups of the CL and the cash it brings next year. Plus as an added bonus the final is in Seville, which ruins one of their favourite foreign places and would be forever associated with us and our win :lol:

Aye after the inter game it was brutal waiting on the other game finishing, in the pub it was deathly silent then everyone erupted in sheer joy

15 hours ago, MorelosRangers said:

"It's over 38 games, it's a longer period. You go away to places where it's difficult, coming through the winter months.

"It's just my opinion, people might be different, but I'm just saying I would rather win the league championship."

billy-madison.gif.71c86c05a3625f84727baed597f18bf2.gif

18 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I think anyone who wouldn’t rather the europa over the league now we are at this stage is kidding themselves on.

start of the season it’s a pope dream but we are now on the verge of something special and making our second final in 14 years. For a Scottish club starting in the qualifiers in the arse end of nowhere every season it’s an incredible achievement

throw in we were in the 3rd division 10 years ago then it’s a remarkable story

:thepope:

50 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I think anyone who wouldn’t rather the europa over the league now we are at this stage is kidding themselves on.

start of the season it’s a pope dream but we are now on the verge of something special and making our second final in 14 years. For a Scottish club starting in the qualifiers in the arse end of nowhere every season it’s an incredible achievement

throw in we were in the 3rd division 10 years ago then it’s a remarkable story

Great to see his holiness has seen the light regarding his favourate Scottish team. 

For me it is simple, the comparison is winning a trophy we have won 44% of the time we have competed for it or doing something we have done once in over 60 years of attempting. On that basis a European trophy must have higher status, especially how UEFA have structured the competitions making it almost impossible for teams from smaller leagues to win one of their tournamrnts. 

2 hours ago, RoboBear said:

I did say I MIGHT agree with him. We have a massive rebuild for next season and the CL group stage money will help with that. 

Yes winning the Europa would be great, but also the money that comes with it will help

Even if it didn’t guarantee group stage I’d want to win it, it’s a once in a generational thing, we came so close in 2008

2 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

Why?

Because I would love to qualify direct to Champions League this year rather than having to qualify for it with more games.  Then, I would rather win the Europa League than the Scottish for the kudos and the money that comes with it.  Then the domestic cup because I feel it belongs behind the other 2.  But as I said, want to win them all.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

If we win the Europa we qualify direct anyway?

I know we do.  My comments earlier were generally for every year.  Now the league is 'probably' over, I agree I would rather win Europa than the Scottish, but that's only because of how it is today.  League will be my preference every year at beginning of season.

1 hour ago, Gazza2258 said:

I know we do.  My comments earlier were generally for every year.  Now the league is 'probably' over, I agree I would rather win Europa than the Scottish, but that's only because of how it is today.  League will be my preference every year at beginning of season.

So even if though the europa is a CL auto entry for winners and seeded in pot 1 you'd still choose the league over the europa every season? 

On 18/04/2022 at 18:11, theblueoysterbar said:

Think of them winning the league and it not mattering that much because we get into the CL group stage anyway. There's your proper meltdown. They know fine and well they're shite in Europe and have been for years.

Winning the league would be obviously be cool as fuck as well though.

Us in Pot 1 and them in Pot 4.

On 19/04/2022 at 16:38, Jimbeamjunior said:

So even if though the europa is a CL auto entry for winners and seeded in pot 1 you'd still choose the league over the europa every season? 

As a 1st priority, yes.  As I've said, wanna win them all.