Barry: I'd rather win the league than Europa

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

I agree with the majority here that Europa League triumph would be the best but just to play devil's advocate here, think of the sheer meltdown If we pipped them to the league. Think of the amount of t-shirts and sharks getting chucked.

Think of them winning the league and it not mattering that much because we get into the CL group stage anyway. There's your proper meltdown. They know fine and well they're shite in Europe and have been for years.

Winning the league would be obviously be cool as fuck as well though.

2 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Think of them winning the league and it not mattering that much because we get into the CL group stage anyway. There's your proper meltdown. They know fine and well they're shite in Europe and have been for years.

Winning the league would be obviously be cool as fuck as well though.

Either scenario sits well with me tbh

and to think it wasn’t long ago people wanted Barry on Gio’s coaching staff😳

I don’t even think he’s trying to be controversial he’s just not very intelligent and not very self aware.

Its mental because his footballing brain was immense but he proves time and time again that doesn’t always translate outside of football.

When the season starts, the obvious answer is the league as the chances of a Scottish club getting to this stage of European competition is generally very slim so the expectations are set at winning the league and giving it a good fist in the group stages. That's usually the adventure, and trying to qualify from the group.

But when you are in a European semi final, 180 minutes away from a massive final and a chance to win a trophy that Scottish teams generally get nowhere near, you best believe the European games become more important.

You have the financial aspects, which far outstrip any prize money in Scotland, and you are playing against much higher level opposition, which our players seem to thrive on. 

I think Barry is playing devil's advocate here, but he needs to be very careful that he doesn't come across as a tarrier cheerleader, because saying the league is more important than a European trophy is right out of their playbook. Next he will be extolling the virtues of the league cup over the Scottish cup. 

Was in the car with the old man when he said it today on GoRadio and we both looked at each other in bemusement. More or less got a 50/50 chance of winning the league any season, winning a European competition especially in this day and age would be something ridiculously special for us. Would say I'm shocked he said that but I'm really not. He mentioned about having to go hard places in the winter to win the league, aye because going to Lyon, Dortmund, Belgrade and Braga is a doddle.

Hasn't much going in the old grey matter department imo, probably why he's not made it any higher in management,take no joy in saying that about him but some of the stuff he comes away with 🤦, big Boyd could learn him a thing or two about the media game, big Chris accepts he's a Rangers man and dosent care about being hated by the other side.

I understand the thought process and with champions league money guaranteed etc.

If we had the ridiculous notion of a choice I'd honestly have to pick European glory......I see it this way. I have witnessed us win many many league titles but never a European trophy. Closest was 92-93 and obviously 08......thats a long time.

Europa all day long