Recruitment

Bydo

Just now, MARK92GERS said:

Recruitment has been shite for a number of years now. But I think the scouting department is definitely an area that’s needing investment & a major overhaul if we’re to become a top level club. It’s clear we are majorly behind other teams & leagues at the minute in that sense. Given the millions we’ve pissed up a wall by the looks of it.

I genuinely thought that when GvB and his management team came in they'd be bringing in some of the best emerging talent from Holland they way the fat Aussie did with Japanese players. Yet another example of us being let down in a recruitment sense.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I genuinely thought that when GvB and his management team came in they'd be bringing in some of the best emerging talent from Holland they way the fat Aussie did with Japanese players. Yet another example of us being let down in a recruitment sense.

I genuinely thought the same it’s a real surprise we haven’t added any talent from the eredivisie. Given most of the management team have a lot of knowledge from that league. You get the sense most of these buys are Wilson signings.

24 minutes ago, The Beast said:

That was never really going to happen with the DofF model we run, where the Director has the main say in the transfers so if the manager gets the transfers all wrong and doesn’t work out the next man in isn’t having to deal with the previous manager’s squad.

I think we have run it on a horrendously skewed basis though. As you said our management team is all Dutch, with a very good knowledge of that league and are also very well respected / legendary names in Dutch football. To not use that knowledge and their connections is just scandalous.

It also doesn’t work when the DofF can’t identify that the 433 that the previous manager played is totally different to the 433 the new manager wants to play and requires a different type of player in key positions and then won’t / can’t recruits players to fit the new system…

To be honest I don't think our coaching and style of play isnt getting the most out of the players we have. They probably looked decent when they was scouted playing elsewhere. We need to change something though as we are stuck with this squad so ifs up to the manager and coaching staff to get the best out the players. Need to admit it's not working domestically and change our style of play.

Worst decision we made this summer was giving Goldson a new deal. 

He wasn’t great last season and made a lot of errors in the European run, which were masked by bad misses/McGregor saves. 

We’ve now given him a new deal on a higher wage, which he’s not going to justify. Barring the 55 season, he’s never had a good run of form for more than 3-4 months since he’s been here. 

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

We’ve been searching for a decent winger for 4 years, they signed Jota and Abada in the last year. 

Pretty much sums it up. Ross Wilson is the core problem. When their manager went in we laughed at him, but at least he got what he wanted, he got backed with players he knew and they made instant impacts. We’re hamstrung by a 5ft goblin who can’t identify a single attacking player to contribute. 

Let’s be honest, them winning the league last year was a colossal failure and should’ve seen someone like Wilson sacked. They had 7 senior outfield players FFS in July and we’d just went a season unbeaten. 

They have got their recruitment absolutely spot on for the past 3 windows and have a clear playing style. We’ve not had a decent transfer window since the start of the 55 season…

It's all variable, they tend to buy players for a specific job and play them in that position. They played Kyogo out of position against us last season and I don't think that's happened since. We started yesterday with Tillman and Kamara out of position and then changed it at halftime. Immediately the balance looked better but it was too late. GVB has also been very unlucky with injuries, look at Lawrence and Davies record in the Championship, both 35 plus per season on average, both out injured after a hand full of games. Helander and Roofe, both come back for pre season allegedly fit and pick up injuries before a ball is kicked. Soutar, well you just knew that he was going to be injured as soon as he signed.

Squad size:

Rangers: Bloated and inability to clear names who clearly aren’t going to be starters.

celtic: cleared out almost an entire team in 2 years: Brown, Ntcham, Boli, Bitton, Griffiths, Rogic, Julien, Arjeti, Barkas, Soro, Henderson etc 

Age/Athleticism:
Rangers: offered new deals to Arfield, Davis and McGregor. Combined age 110. Mind boggling.

celtic: sold Brown, Ntcham, Rogic, Bitton, Griffiths, Julien. All players who are too old or unable to play an aggressive press. 

Injuries:

Rangers: signed or retained players with bad track records or little game time. Ramsay, Souttar, Helander, Jack, Hagi, Roofe, Davies. 

celtic: Signed players with injury free history (minus Mcarthy). And cleared off Rogic, Griffiths, Brown, Bitton, Julien.

New signings:

Rangers: Focused on signing from saturated markets eg English Championship. Failed to identify and target weak areas: GK, RW, Striker

celtic:

Identified best players in Japanese league available at discount. As well as Russian fire sale market. Used free agent market well with Hart and Siegrist

Loan to buy 

Rangers: Did well with Tillman

celtic: Jota and CCV. 1 year for little to no outlay. Then option to buy once player is proven first team quality.

Manager

Rangers: Identified how to progress in Europe but not domestically

celtic: Developed all out aggressive, high intensity press system which Spl teams can’t deal with. Transfer policy developed around young, fit players. With plenty of attacking options up front

1 hour ago, steven33jackie said:

It's all variable, they tend to buy players for a specific job and play them in that position. They played Kyogo out of position against us last season and I don't think that's happened since. We started yesterday with Tillman and Kamara out of position and then changed it at halftime. Immediately the balance looked better but it was too late. GVB has also been very unlucky with injuries, look at Lawrence and Davies record in the Championship, both 35 plus per season on average, both out injured after a hand full of games. Helander and Roofe, both come back for pre season allegedly fit and pick up injuries before a ball is kicked. Soutar, well you just knew that he was going to be injured as soon as he signed.

I agree the first part. Disagree the luck around injuries. We are signing and retaining higher risk players:

Helander had 2 knee injuries before he came to us. 

Souttar had 8 periods out injured with hearts with Achilles and ankle related injuries. Including 3 ruptured Achilles.

Davies has played 70 off games since 2015? That’s not much more than 10 a season.

Roofe was sold by Leeds because he was injury prone. Then barely played for Anderlecht.

Jack clearly has ongoing troubles

Ofoborh - heart problem not picked up

Hagi- Acl. Very often never recover from that 

Whilst celtic have made an effort to offload players like Rogic who aren’t reliable. And focused on young, injury free players who are all athletic and capable of playing a high press. Hagi and Jack would never get near an Ange squad. 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The scum wanted to keep him. :lol:

Was McCarthy a young fit non injury prone signing? 

Wanted to keep him? No they didn’t. 

McCarthy was a bad signing for sure.

The rest they’ve all got out on loan. 

Everyone on their bench yesterday was a new signing and/or a young player who has already proved they can play at first team level. 

Other than Morelos and maybe Yilmaz who we don’t know about (but isn’t deemed good enough to replace Barisic). We had nobody on the bench that I would imagine or be comfortable starting for us towards the end of the year.

Sakala and Wright are mid table Spl quality.

McGregor going to be 41.

Arfield is past it. 

Jack injury prone 

Devine and King are just kids. Few years away

1 hour ago, steven33jackie said:

I think the fat Aussie has established a style of play and has been able to recruit players who suit that. I am honestly not sure if Gio  has a clear style, and it appears he is taking what he gets in terms of signings and tries to make them fit.

7 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Wanted to keep him? No they didn’t. 

They 100% did.

Direct quote from their manager regarding Bitton and Rogic.

They have certainly made such a tremendous contribution to Celtic over such a long and successful period for the club and I understand that in their minds the time is right to move on

Please stop making things up to hype them up fs

They 100% did.

Direct quote from their manager regarding Bitton and Rogic.

They have certainly made such a tremendous contribution to celtic over such a long and successful period for the club and I understand that in their minds the time is right to move on

Please stop making things up to hype them up fs

What bit says we wanted to keep them ?

Just now, sassaaaa said:

What bit says we wanted to keep them ?

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

understand that in their minds the time is right to move on

That clearly states the players wanted to leave..

I could post the further comments he made about how important they were last season, but fuck posting him praising both.

Its not even a debate they wanted to keep Rogic. It's factual.

That clearly states the players wanted to leave..

I could post the further comments he made about how important they were last season, but fuck posting him praising both.

Its not even a debate they wanted to keep Rogic. It's factual.

Nope, I can't see it in the bit you quoted, or the fuller article, either.

Youre saying its factual, and telling someone to stop making things up when your quotes clearly evidences nothing youre alleging.  

Baffling.

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Posters on this site are actually embarrassing at times.

Take one poster as gospel that we had the chance to sign Jota.

Yet clear direct quotes proving players decided to leave, evidence is disregarded.

Deary me and It's not rent free either apparently..

:lol:

🤣🤣🤣

Any chance you could point out the bit from your quote that demonstrates the scum wanted to keep him?