Leon King take a bow

Vision

Young players can be superstars at 18, but rarely are they CH's at that age. Even Sands at 22 would be considered young in that position.

The first goal last night was similar to the one conceded against Aberdeen. He got caught with his back to the ball. 

Putting him into the fire like this could be harmful in the long term, but he does seem to have a good head on his shoulders. Here's hoping...

He looks good for large parts of the game but as a centre back you can’t switch off or get your positioning wrong or anything like that because it leads to goals. He’ll improve and he’ll benefit from the first team football but it’s a position where you’re only as good as your worst moment in the game 

One of his biggest issues at the moment is the variety of partners he's playing alongside. An 18 year old centre-half needs a good, strong influence alongside him to help guide him through games - it's probably the toughest outfield position for a kid to step into, every mistake is magnified since it'll often lead to a chance/goal for the opposition. 

He's definitely got something about him though, and hopefully a good future with us........ i do feel like he's been a bit overhyped though, through no fault of his own.

18 hours ago, BillStruthBear said:

Sorry to say but this fella won't make it at us. Not his fault, been absolutely thrown in. But miles off it.

Aye mate I’m with you here.
That’s Aberdeen and now Ajax.

Doesn’t matter that he’s 18 and just out of the academy, it’s not his fault but get him tae f**k anyway. 

As you say there’s Jude Bellingham and some others across the globe and they’re really good and young.

6 hours ago, Real Ranger said:

Aye mate I’m with you here.
That’s Aberdeen and now Ajax.

Doesn’t matter that he’s 18 and just out of the academy, it’s not his fault but get him tae f**k anyway. 

As you say there’s Jude Bellingham and some others across the globe and they’re really good and young.

Not sure if you're taking the piss here, difficult to detect tone over text.

For the record, I unequivocally do not believe it's fair to compare King to the likes of Bellingham and other top youngsters out there. I don't expect King to be at that level, or even remotely close to it - I was merely making the point that age shouldn't necessarily be a free pass for mistakes/bad performances. 

3 minutes ago, BillStruthBear said:

For the record, I unequivocally do not believe it's fair to compare King to the likes of Bellingham and other top youngsters out there. I don't expect King to be at that level, or even remotely close to it - I was merely making the point that age shouldn't necessarily be a free pass for mistakes/bad performances. 

Of course it should be, he's young, raw and not fully developed. Even your Bellinghams and fodens made mistakes when they were his age, the difference is king has been thrown into the highest standard of football due to injuries and told to sink or swim. 

I know he's had a few poor games but I applaud that it doesn't seem to affect him much, he still has the confidence to try and play passes even if he's fucked up the last 1.

We/he are in an unfortunate situation but he'll improve for these experiences and so will we if he signs another contract. 

1 minute ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Of course it should be, he's young, raw and not fully developed. Even your Bellinghams and fodens made mistakes when they were his age, the difference is king has been thrown into the highest standard of football due to injuries and told to sink or swim. 

I know he's had a few poor games but I applaud that it doesn't seem to affect him much, he still has the confidence to try and play passes even if he's fucked up the last 1.

We/he are in an unfortunate situation but he'll improve for these experiences and so will we if he signs another contract. 

There is never just a free pass for making mistakes. Ever.

He's 18 ,basically still an apprentice being asked to perform as a time served tradesman , no point in us turning on him when the circumstances aren't his fault ,too many young players have been ruined by early expectations.I for one  hope it works out for him .

1 hour ago, BillStruthBear said:

“Sorry to say but this fella won’t make it at us”

I thought you were taking the piss here.

No denying he’s made mistakes, Ajax possibly being the worst but to right him off is just bonkers. Overall he has done very well, so much so at times it’s easy to forget he is only 18.

23 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Young players can be superstars at 18, but rarely are they CH's at that age. Even Sands at 22 would be considered young in that position.

The first goal last night was similar to the one conceded against Aberdeen. He got caught with his back to the ball. 

Putting him into the fire like this could be harmful in the long term, but he does seem to have a good head on his shoulders. Here's hoping...

Even the ones that are came through with experienced and settled defences round them.

We’ve got an over the hill goalkeeper, injured RB, fill in CB, inconsistent LB, a midfield reliant on Lundstram. Maldini would struggle in that.

Leon King is average at best. Thats what we have learned from having to play him. I remember Derek Johnstone being played at 16 and Kenny Dalglish making his mark at 16 against Rangers at Ibrox. They were both clearly going to be great players. Leon will probably do well at a bottom half EPL club or an English championship side but he won't be playing for any of the big clubs like Man City, Liverpool, Real Madrid etc. He is not good enough. Leon would do well to knuckle down and concentrate on improving his game at Rangers.

1 hour ago, the cry was no said:

The abuse directed at Bassey after the cup loss at St Mirren was mental.

He gave away a naive penalty and some were saying he should never play again

18 months later we sold him for £19m rising to £23m with add ons

Alan Hutton was nearly booed out of Ibrox before he settled and earned us £9m

Young players need support and encouragement - some of the vitriol aimed at Tillman is embarrassing. As Lundstram points out he is a real talent and needs support not abuse

Well said mate.

Tillman has great vision and skills but he’s nowhere near the finished article yet.

I thought he had a great game on Saturday and put so much into it he went down with cramp late on.

He then struggled against Ajax and he’s labelled a dud and a lazy bastard.

5 minutes ago, bassettger said:

Leon King is average at best. Thats what we have learned from having to play him. I remember Derek Johnstone being played at 16 and Kenny Dalglish making his mark at 16 against Rangers at Ibrox. They were both clearly going to be great players. Leon will probably do well at a bottom half EPL club or an English championship side but he won't be playing for any of the big clubs like Man City, Liverpool, Real Madrid etc. He is not good enough. Leon would do well to knuckle down and concentrate on improving his game at Rangers.

You’re having a laugh surely?

Think I’ve stumbled onto the Rangers media comedy club.

21 minutes ago, bassettger said:

In what way is he not already knuckling down?

He’s not played well at times, but don’t think there’s ever been a question around his attitude. 

Mental post. 

24 minutes ago, bassettger said:

Doing well at a bottom half EPL club would be an outstanding success for our academy 

Just now, bassettger said:

What is so funny ?

You’re claiming King is average at best, that’s what you think, not that we’ve learned.

DJ and Dalglish did look special at a very early age and went on to be great players but as 18 year old King isn’t at that level he’ll probably end up in the English championship.
He might end up shite, this has happened to many young players but equally he might go on to have a great career, we don’t know yet.
I’ve not read the entire thread but I’ve never heard anyone claiming he’ll go on to to play for Man City, Liverpool or Real Madrid, if they have they’re as daft as yourself in my humble opinion.

Don't think King covered himself in glory but Tav and Sands had a shit show. 

1st goal Sands leaves a massive fucking gap behind him by charging out and Tav's ball watching. 

2nd one Tav's leaving space behind him instead of telling Sakala to go out wide to the ball. 

3rd is just a combo of horrors between Sands and Tav. 

Tav's outstayed his welcome and we shouldn't be touching Sands after his loan. 

7 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

In what way is he not already knuckling down?

He’s not played well at times, but don’t think there’s ever been a question around his attitude. 

Mental post. 

I am not saying his attitude is a question mark but there has been noise around clubs down south looking to buy him. He needs to ignore that. It won't happen now in any case. He has been overrated.