Leon King take a bow

Vision

22 minutes ago, don logan said:

Yes.

You may have heard of Giovanni Reyna and Jude Bellingham, who have already been to Ibrox this year. Perhaps Harvey Elliot, who scored against us a couple of weeks ago?

Camavinga at Real Madrid? Ansu Fati at Barca? Gavi at Barca? Pedri at Barca? The German kid at Baynern whose name escapes me.

That's without even trying think. So yes, there are plenty of kids who are playing at the highest level and standing out. Stupid to think otherwise.

Regardless - what's your point? I haven't put King on that pedestal or in that company. I merely stated he's had some shockers - which he has. You were the one who made the daft remark suggesting there are no players of a young age performing consistently well. Which couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not expecting heroics from King, or any Ranger. Blocking shots instead of waving them into the net, staying with your man, and not playing long diagonals across your own box would be a welcome start, though.

Feel for the lad. Not been an easy introduction into first team football. Hopefully he uses the experience to push on. He may well crumble. Time will tell.

As for last night, his age doesn't really come into it for the first two goals. No matter what age you are, you attempt to clear the ball and close down the opposition in the penalty box.

The first goal is one of the softest you are ever likely to see at Ibrox. Zero pace on the ball and he's standing right in front of the fucking thing yet moves out its way, almost ushering it into the back of the net.

2nd goal, he stands completely static in the 6 yard box for 3 whole seconds which is a long time when 'defending'.

3 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The plan for King would likely have been to be on bench most weeks and getting on if winning comfortably and starting Cup games against lower league sides.

All of a sudden he’s our main centre half in a team which lacks leadership, shape or any semblance of organisation and with a different partner nearly every game

He’s basically learning on the job in what is probably the most difficult position on the park. What he has showed is character and he is very decent on the ball.

Add in a 40 year old keeper who legs dont work anymore.

And a 38 year midfielder whos legs also dont work infront of him.

29 minutes ago, BillStruthBear said:

You may have heard of Giovanni Reyna and Jude Bellingham, who have already been to Ibrox this year. Perhaps Harvey Elliot, who scored against us a couple of weeks ago?

Camavinga at Real Madrid? Ansu Fati at Barca? Gavi at Barca? Pedri at Barca? The German kid at Baynern whose name escapes me.

That's without even trying think. So yes, there are plenty of kids who are playing at the highest level and standing out. Stupid to think otherwise.

Regardless - what's your point? I haven't put King on that pedestal or in that company. I merely stated he's had some shockers - which he has. You were the one who made the daft remark suggesting there are no players of a young age performing consistently well. Which couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not expecting heroics from King, or any Ranger. Blocking shots instead of waving them into the net, staying with your man, and not playing long diagonals across your own box would be a welcome start, though.

He had a shocker last night. He's had a handful of first team games and has been thrust into the CL due to our injury problems. This was never the intention with him. Last night he was partnered with a makeshift centre back, who he had only played 45 minutes with him previously. He's still learning but, unfortunately, has to do this in the CL, against the best players on the planet. That's a high bar, expecting perfection from him from the get go.

He has a range of attributes that are outstanding for his age.

If they continue to get better, and with experience he cuts out the lapses in positioning etc. like on all three of their goals, he’ll be an outstanding player for us.

Still lacks pace for me to make him a talent that a Man City or someone would take off us, but I can’t think of many 18 year old centre halves who have played CL football.

Can't really be too harsh on him when he's been asked to play with a new centre half almost every game against some very good teams.  He's got potential and hopefully he realizes it.

We can't moan we are bringing no youth through and then when we do we write them off after a few games.

1 hour ago, don logan said:

He had a shocker last night. He's had a handful of first team games and has been thrust into the CL due to our injury problems. This was never the intention with him. Last night he was partnered with a makeshift centre back, who he had only played 45 minutes with him previously. He's still learning but, unfortunately, has to do this in the CL, against the best players on the planet. That's a high bar, expecting perfection from him from the get go.

Yep, I don't disagree with anything you've said. I just don't think he's going to become the player many suspect(ed).

Tam Forsyth, a Rangers Legend, played for 5 years at Motherwell before getting a transfer to Ibrox. He had time to learn the game, make mistakes and grow up. Gough, Butcher, Amoruso, Numan, to name a few, were in their mid/late 20s when they started for us. All were probably none too good at 18. And some are haranguing this lad. Madness.

4 hours ago, BillStruthBear said:

Sorry to say but this fella won't make it at us. Not his fault, been absolutely thrown in. But miles off it.

Totally agree,he is not and never will be a centre half same as Sands.

He didn’t start out as a ch but someone has decided he is but 2 goals last night after the sheep one show he isn’t the player we hoped he would be.

This is another reason for whoever signed souttar to be sacked.

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There's a consistent thread in our support where we want to chuck youth team players into the first team and then cry when they make mistakes that 18 year olds tend to make.

Usually the same folk that want to start a team full of academy players after any bad result.

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There's a consistent thread in our support where we want to chuck youth team players into the first team and then cry when they make mistakes that 18 year olds tend to make.

There's that element with every part of our club, Barasic could have 10 good games in a row then one wayward pass in his 11th game you'd have about 10 posts of 'See I always knew he was shite'. 

Worst are the ones who do that then go wank over the tims.

12 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

People judging an 18 year old chucked in at the deep end with basically every other defender injured or carrying an injury really need a mental health check.

Anyone able to point to any 18 year old CB's who are expected to be the lynchpin at the back?

Listen, make excuses all you want but Paolo Maldini was playing for Milan at 16.

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Listen, make excuses all you want but Paolo Maldini was playing for Milan at 16.

Beckanbauer was 18 playing at Bayern and an international at 20 playing in a WCF at 21, so maybe posters have it right that King at 18 isn’t going to make it.

Should just punt him to Hearts for £200k or swap for Halliday to be back up LB to be on the safe side.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

That is true but he was a generational world class talent playing in a Milan side that while it wasn't quite yet the same team of van Basten and Gullit, he was still playing alongside a side full of class players like Baresi, Wilkins, di Bartolomei and Paolo Rossi.

King was getting away with a few things at Lowland League level last year, which i'm pretty sure I called out on last year on here, and it's a pretty big learning curve going from that to being punished against some of the best players in the world. Same for Lowry too.

Making a few positional and judgement calls at his age against this type of opposition is a bit more forgivable than some of the stuff experienced players in our side do that should have been knocked out of them at 14 years old. As long as he keeps learning and improving while he's in the side then we can't be overly harsh on him. 

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

That is true but he was a generational world class talent playing in a Milan side that while it wasn't quite yet the same team of van Basten and Gullit, he was still playing alongside a side full of class players like Baresi, Wilkins, di Bartolomei and Paolo Rossi.

King was getting away with a few things at Lowland League level last year, which i'm pretty sure I called out on last year on here, and it's a pretty big learning curve going from that to being punished against some of the best players in the world. Same for Lowry too.

Making a few positional and judgement calls at his age against this type of opposition is a bit more forgivable than some of the stuff experienced players in our side do that should have been knocked out of them at 14 years old. As long as he keeps learning and improving while he's in the side then we can't be overly harsh on him. 

I was joking mate :pipe: