World Cup - Qatar 2022

G.E.C.

21 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Part of it is that they had to see Messi fail and get upset at failing with Argentina. There was that sense that Messi was too perfect, too dominant and too safe with his family life sequestered away in Barcelona. He didn't seem to have any flaws, while Maradona was the personification of Gaucho culture and was obviously flawed genius in every sense.

Messi losing 3 straight cup finals on the bounce and then impulsively retiring from the national team out of despair might have done more to make Argentinians love him than anything else he did in a national shirt before 2021.

Aye maradona was along the same lines of Best and Gascoigne . Normal blokes with normal flaws who just happened to be a genius when you put a ball at their feet . All three at certain points had the world literally at their feet because of their natural talent alone. 

Im not sure in today’s modern game such characters exist or will again at the very top end of the game where just raw talent alone can get you to the top  . All the best players in the world now have a discipline to training , diet and lifestyle that have followed since their days in youth football and so on 

13 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Mental that there’s still cunts on social media who support clubs like Stockport County still saying Messi can’t be the best of all time because “he didn’t come to the Premier League” :lol:

It’s the same as the whole Messi v Ronaldo debate which has people demented on social media . Have never just picked one and passionately entrenched myself in that opinion  

Both at their peak were exceptional talents and my opinion on who I preferred or thought was better changed constantly depending on what one of them was doing . The fact both of them ended up at rival clubs during this period was Hollywood stuff and Madrid V Barca at that time was a fantastic watch .Think now History will have Messi defined as the best of this generation and in truth he probably does deserve it

49 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Part of it is that they had to see Messi fail and get upset at failing with Argentina. There was that sense that Messi was too perfect, too dominant and too safe with his family life sequestered away in Barcelona. He didn't seem to have any flaws, while Maradona was the personification of Gaucho culture and was obviously flawed genius in every sense.

Messi losing 3 straight cup finals on the bounce and then impulsively retiring from the national team out of despair might have done more to make Argentinians love him than anything else he did in a national shirt before 2021.

On the Gaucho subject, the little six minute documentary piece that the BBC did on why Maradona became who he became was really good. 

3 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Next world cup in 2026 talk of 6 games per day in the group stages outstanding 

Not sure I'd want 6 games a day. I'd rather more days with 3-4 games rather than the same number of days but with 6 each day. 

Some of the 6 would need to be played at the same time too, as I can't see them being able to spread 6 games across a day otherwise.

9-11

12-2

3-5

6-8

9-11

Even getting to 5 is a huge stretch and for Europe and Asia the times would be horrendous.

13 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Not sure I'd want 6 games a day. I'd rather more days with 3-4 games rather than the same number of days but with 6 each day. 

Some of the 6 would need to be played at the same time too, as I can't see them being able to spread 6 games across a day otherwise.

9-11

12-2

3-5

6-8

9-11

Even getting to 5 is a huge stretch and for Europe and Asia the times would be horrendous.

I think the times for the next world cup will be horrendous anyway. Games through the night etc given its in USA Mexico 

• Badger unpinned this topic