OF Tactics

OrangeRab

42 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Importantly with a different result.

I cannot get over him starting those two. It’s up there with the worst decisions from a Rangers manager in any big game that I can think of.

As bad as when Gerrard started Defoe over Morelos in the 19/20 season. 

Barring 1 Old Firm game, neither Kamara or Lundstram has kicked a ball against them in the past 18 months. Raskin HAD to start ahead of one of them, with ideally Cantwell also coming in for the other. 

We give them far too much respect and there’s a reason our squad has an inferiority complex and they are hoovering up trophies…

22 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

it is pretty simple. when you play against possession based teams like celtic you need to press them hard and not give them a seconds peace.

Agreed. Which we did brilliantly in the Scottish cup last year. That was a whole team press. But we had Bassey at CB. We still press we just only press with our front 3. And it’s easy for them to play round. 

All comes back to recruitment. If we want to play a high tempo press game you need a high defensive line. Which most agree is the way to go. Sign horses for courses. So 3 important positions are a mobile keeper, a fast and athletic CB. And a striker that can run in behind. (That’s more to mitigate the high press and pin their defence deep).

Instead we didn’t sign a keeper. Signed Colak. And signed Davies. (I like Davies it’s just he’s not the fastest).

They sign young guys that can run a lot. There’s no forward planning or strategy under Wilson?

11 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Agreed. Which we did brilliantly in the Scottish cup last year. That was a whole team press. But we had Bassey at CB. We still press we just only press with our front 3. And it’s easy for them to play round. 

All comes back to recruitment. If we want to play a high tempo press game you need a high defensive line. Which most agree is the way to go. Sign horses for courses. So 3 important positions are a mobile keeper, a fast and athletic CB. And a striker that can run in behind. (That’s more to mitigate the high press and pin their defence deep).

Instead we didn’t sign a keeper. Signed Colak. And signed Davies. (I like Davies it’s just he’s not the fastest).

They sign young guys that can run a lot. There’s no forward planning or strategy under Wilson?

he seems completely out of touch with how the modern game has evolved. you just cant afford to have players in a team not pressing anymore unless they are neymar and messi.

celtic are very clear on what they want for their team. where as we sign injured players or worse. injured players who do not fit our system.

the thing that annoys me is you do not even need a great team to press right. just need all your players willing to run the distance. look how far and how much success morocco had at the world cup. 

Our tactics as a whole are crap imo and not just for the old firm! We are so pedestrian in almost everything we do! Passing, slow and generally behind receiving player! Touches! Every player wants a couple. Rarely every a 1 touch pass made! Or 1-2s!

A Cautious and Safety first approach! When a forward pass is on, go sideways or back instead. Wingers rarely go to byline to get crosses across box! Very rarely does someone break the lines by driving forward! It’s overly cautious and to be honest pretty boring at times!

Shys and Free kicks,we have to wait for Tav to come take them and I’d say unless it’s a free kick around box most of Them go back to defence to recycle possession!

Never capitalise on breaks! As we again generally slow it down and play back or inside and kindly allow opposition to get back into their lines!

I’ve been fortunate of late to get a seat in rear of Govan on half way line to watch games and from that vantage point the amount of early open passes that we don’t take is incredible!! I’m convinced now we are coached to not take chances and instead retain ball at all costs and just probe away until a gilt edged chance opens up!

it’s maddening!’

I think our negative passes are what gets us into trouble. They know we are going to play often sideways and back, which allows them to put pressure on early. If we actually had more penetration and players not always taking the safe option (Kamara) then it wouldn’t be so easy to press… when Kamara/Barisic have the ball, their front 3 are already within 5-10 yards of our centre back because they know the ball is going back. 

Their midfield when in possession move the ball quicker and are willing to carry the ball forward. This is really why Raskin should have started the game. He is the only player out of our CMs that seems capable of doing these 2 things. 

6 hours ago, Essandoh said:

Importantly with a different result.

I cannot get over him starting those two. It’s up there with the worst decisions from a Rangers manager in any big game that I can think of.

Hindsight is a great thing and many of us aren't tactical geniuses, but let's be honest here, most of us looked at the 2 of them starting and knew we were going out there handicapped. Loads of folks I spoke to before the game said they shouldn't be playing, so if plebs like me and my mates could see them starting as being a disaster - why can't a professional football manager see it.

Starting those 2 was a mind boggling decision, but to then watch the shit show they were giving for a full 45 minutes, then send them back out was criminal. And that's not taking into account the countless other sub par, poor quality, half arsed performances they have been turning out for a long time now.

My only fear is that he plays those 2 loosers again on the hope they come good just to prove a point, and everyone else is wrong.

43 minutes ago, geronimoo said:

Hindsight is a great thing and many of us aren't tactical geniuses, but let's be honest here, most of us looked at the 2 of them starting and knew we were going out there handicapped. Loads of folks I spoke to before the game said they shouldn't be playing, so if plebs like me and my mates could see them starting as being a disaster - why can't a professional football manager see it.

Starting those 2 was a mind boggling decision, but to then watch the shit show they were giving for a full 45 minutes, then send them back out was criminal. And that's not taking into account the countless other sub par, poor quality, half arsed performances they have been turning out for a long time now.

My only fear is that he plays those 2 loosers again on the hope they come good just to prove a point, and everyone else is wrong.

Saw him on Scotland today earlier double down on his decision to start them said they played well in the new year game and in the best performance from the team since he came here at hearts while ignoring all the other poor performances from them and no mention of why it took him more than an hour to change it even though every single Bear I know could see it wasn’t working 

Sound of his voice is starting to get right on ma fat tits 

They aren't playing some kind of innovative football, they get found out regularly in Europe and get beat most of the time. The manager got the midfield badly wrong yesterday, Raskin instead of Lundstram improves us significantly considering JL has been injured and or out of form for about 8 months!

1 minute ago, Henders82 said:

They aren't playing some kind of innovative football, they get found out regularly in Europe and get beat most of the time. The manager got the midfield badly wrong yesterday, Raskin instead of Lundstram improves us significantly considering JL has been injured and or out of form for about 8 months!

And Jack will offer more in an old firm game than kamara ever will.  Raskin Jack wouldn’t have been over run that first half I’m absolutely certain of that. Would have been a total different game.  

Would also have went with Cantwell over Tillman but that’s with hindsight 

been through a lot of pain following Rangers through the years but this is probably the most angry and totally pissed off I’ve felt since the challenge cup collapse against Raith 

utterly sick and canny shake it off and I genuinely don’t think beales the right appointment I’ve tried to get behind him but am no feeling it 

16 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Saw him on Scotland today earlier double down on his decision to start them said they played well in the new year game and in the best performance from the team since he came here at hearts while ignoring all the other poor performances from them and no mention of why it took him more than an hour to change it even though every single Bear I know could see it wasn’t working 

Sound of his voice is starting to get right on ma fat tits 

Thats like that time Aberdeen signed that Bulgarian guy who played in Cyprus, they signed him because he kept Gazza quiet for a full game. Turned out the guy was piss poor and the Gazza game was 1 of his sparse good games.

3 minutes ago, geronimoo said:

Thats like that time Aberdeen signed that Bulgarian guy who played in Cyprus, they signed him because he kept Gazza quiet for a full game. Turned out the guy was piss poor and the Gazza game was 1 of his sparse good games.

Aye something like that mate  😂

We can talk till we are blue in the face about tactics, high press etc. but the root of the problem is simple, they have better players than us. Until we can get better quality players in then we are always going to struggle. They are nothing special, but they do have superior players in key positions, I'm dreading the rest of the season now, but I still want to see it ended so we can regroup during the close season and hopefully have a successful transfer window whiled getting rid of the deadwood.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyem said:

We can talk till we are blue in the face about tactics, high press etc. but the root of the problem is simple, they have better players than us. Until we can get better quality players in then we are always going to struggle. They are nothing special, but they do have superior players in key positions, I'm dreading the rest of the season now, but I still want to see it ended so we can regroup during the close season and hopefully have a successful transfer window whiled getting rid of the deadwood.

Sad but true and fuckin sickening 

42 minutes ago, Johnnyem said:

Getting rid of the dead wood is the crucial thing… we have not done that for sometime. We must do it this summer or we’re fucked… I am talking about Tav, Barisic, Arfield, Lundstram, Kamara, Davis and Morelos in particular… time is up for those players and need to try to get some cash in for some of them. 

The game was pretty even up until about the 35-40 minute mark....from there on you could see them taking more and more control of the game....largely down to the Kamara & Lundstram shit show, they were getting nowhere near close enough to Hatatae & McGregor.....Mooy was starting to dictate play to easily at that stage....when the goal came it was no surprise as they had seized the initiative, for me Raskin would have made a big difference if he was on the park in place of either one or the other of Kamara & Lundstram, we played into their hands by picking an unfit immobile player and a lazy cunt....it was only a matter of time before the won the midfield battle....by the time we got Raskin & Jack on the game was too far gone

28 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

The game was pretty even up until about the 35-40 minute mark....from there on you could see them taking more and more control of the game....largely down to the Kamara & Lundstram shit show, they were getting nowhere near close enough to Hatatae & McGregor.....Mooy was starting to dictate play to easily at that stage....when the goal came it was no surprise as they had seized the initiative, for me Raskin would have made a big difference if he was on the park in place of either one or the other of Kamara & Lundstram, we played into their hands by picking an unfit immobile player and a lazy cunt....it was only a matter of time before the won the midfield battle....by the time we got Raskin & Jack on the game was too far gone

Be very interesting to see the difference in the next old firm. That first half was a carbon copy of every first half we’ve played since they changed manager. Barring the Scottish Cup where we played Bassey at CB. And because of that we were able to play a much higher line. We ended up having more possession than they did.

Sunday was back to the usual. Kamara and Lundstrum did fine for 40 but ran out of steam. Hopefully Raskin and Jack have the engines to press and sprint with only 30% possession. But it will be hard.

Beale needs to find a way to pin them back. That will give us more space and possession. If we could find a mobile keeper we could also try and play a higher line ourselves which would close down the gaps. 

Apart from tactics a lot of it has to do with mentality. We are becoming like every other side in the division when we play the filth. We seem more concerned with how they play and set up accordingly. They however dont give a shit how we set up they only concern themselves with how they play. And it never changes. High press come out the blocks fast and have the match won early. Soon as I saw our line up,and that Beale had dropped two players he signed "we want players who can come straight into the side" my arse,for Lundstram and Kamara i knew once again we were more worried about them than focusing on our own game. And the inevitable occured. Beale wasn't my choice,I wasn't convinced at all, and watching his two games against the filth and his bizarre substitutions im even less convinced. He'll do exactly the same when we play them at the Stad de Gadd.