Tom Lawrence

graeme_4

Very good when the game opened up and he could pick the passes.

The midfield balance still miles off what we need when the game is tight and less space.

Not sure how Beale going to make it all work when Cantwell back.

Maybe Raskin shifts to deepest cm and we play with Cantwell and Lawrence as 2 cam ahead

4 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

Very good when the game opened up and he could pick the passes.

The midfield balance still miles off what we need when the game is tight and less space.

Not sure how Beale going to make it all work when Cantwell back.

Maybe Raskin shifts to deepest cm and we play with Cantwell and Lawrence as 2 cam ahead

Lawrence was poor in the first half then brilliant when it opened up in the second half. We need to get the ball forward faster to get the best from him. Michael Beale is not the answer  Slow possesion based shite. Not a technical genius but has one way to play and is very predictable and has bought Dessers and Lammers who are absolute garbage.

2 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Lawrence showed some real glimpses of manic today. Some sublime passes. 

Could have had 3 assists on a better day.

Will be even better when he gets 100 percent fit.

My MOTM by a mile. 

Mine too. It wasn't just his pass for the 2nd goal but he covers a lot of ground, makes intelligent runs, isn't afraid of a tackle and some of his little touches, one touch passes and lay offs were sublime.

If that is him not quite fit and a bit rusty then I can't wait to see him firing on all cylinders.

21 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Mine too. It wasn't just his pass for the 2nd goal but he covers a lot of ground, makes intelligent runs, isn't afraid of a tackle and some of his little touches, one touch passes and lay offs were sublime.

If that is him not quite fit and a bit rusty then I can't wait to see him firing on all cylinders.

It's good to have something to look forwards to, eh?

3 hours ago, bassettger said:

Lawrence was poor in the first half then brilliant when it opened up in the second half. We need to get the ball forward faster to get the best from him. Michael Beale is not the answer  Slow possesion based shite. Not a technical genius but has one way to play and is very predictable and has bought Dessers and Lammers who are absolute garbage.

Yeh. Although our problem hasn’t been when the dross attack us.

It’s when teams are compact or pressure our midfield we struggle to open teams up like the first half. We just don’t have centre mids who can move the ball between them quickly. 

3 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Lawrence showed some real glimpses of manic today. Some sublime passes. 

Could have had 3 assists on a better day.

Will be even better when he gets 100 percent fit.

My MOTM by a mile. 

Looked good, especially late on.

But, like all our creative players, struggles to find space because our opponents have had ages to organise themselves and drop back into the usual packed defence while we fanny about for ages with crossfield passes at the halfway line.

We need to cut that shit out and get the ball forward much quicker which would suit players like Lawrence.

7 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Looked good, especially late on.

But, like all our creative players, struggles to find space because our opponents have had ages to organise themselves and drop back into the usual packed defence while we fanny about for ages with crossfield passes at the halfway line.

We need to cut that shit out and get the ball forward much quicker which would suit players like Lawrence.

Passing the ball about in our own half for 30 mins a game isn't proper football.

It's cowardly and very fucking boring!   

9 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Passing the ball about in our own half for 30 mins a game isn't proper football.

It's cowardly and very fucking boring!   

Think most agree this is our biggest problem. How much is tactics and how much is ability?

Jack or Lundstrum don’t have the technical ability to do what McGregor does for them starting attacks. Even then, they look far worse without Hatate alongside him.

Kamara before he chucked it was about the only one who could take the ball on the turn. 
And that’s the start of playing fast through the middle. And ideally you need 2-3 ball playing cm.

We have none now and we’ve neglected to sign that player profile since Wilson arrived. 

So as much as the tactics and movement are all wrong. I don’t think he’s signed the players to play any other way. And I can’t see it changing much.

11 hours ago, The Beast said:

He's like a younger arfield when you watch his movements etc

His injury really derailed us last season, 

2 hours ago, stuart1994 said:

He'd be fucking class in a counter attacking team. Looked at his best when the game opened up. Didn't look like it suited him in the first half when it was us trying to break down a low block.

Us trying ti bteak down the low block? Goldson & Tavernier pass sideways & backwards to ech other all game 50 yards from the low block. Apart from Tav's good assist, they don't attempt to go forward into the acres of space in front of tjem or try to pass forward to our midfield. Fuckin pathetic to watch game after game. They make Borna look creative 

27 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

He was played out of position first half.  Needs to play inside and pick the passes.  

Massive difference when he played centrally, and another reason why we shouldn't try and shoehorn players into a system. He was lost out wide.

15 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Massive difference when he played centrally, and another reason why we shouldn't try and shoehorn players into a system. He was lost out wide.

Tbf I think he has played the majority of games in his career out on the left wing, everybody outside Matondo seem to be struggling in the wide positions this season.

It will be interesting once Cantwell comes back how he works that one out, wouldn't mind seeing a middle 3 of Raskin, Cantwell & Lawrence but doubt Beale would ever go for it.

36 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Tbf I think he has played the majority of games in his career out on the left wing, everybody outside Matondo seem to be struggling in the wide positions this season.

It will be interesting once Cantwell comes back how he works that one out, wouldn't mind seeing a middle 3 of Raskin, Cantwell & Lawrence but doubt Beale would ever go for it.

Nah cause he'd have two of them at fucking fullback most of the game

With everyone fit we should be playing 4141 or 4132 against shite like st johnstone

Two wide mids and either both cantwell and lawerence or one of them in behind a lone striker or a front pairing 

Tougher games like hearts away etc we play 4231 or even 4222 and control a bit more of midfield 

8 hours ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

On the left or through the middle. 

Him and Cantwell would be able to swop positions easily enough between the two positions in theory at least. 

12 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

Think most agree this is our biggest problem. How much is tactics and how much is ability?

Jack or Lundstrum don’t have the technical ability to do what McGregor does for them starting attacks. Even then, they look far worse without Hatate alongside him.

Kamara before he chucked it was about the only one who could take the ball on the turn. 
And that’s the start of playing fast through the middle. And ideally you need 2-3 ball playing cm.

We have none now and we’ve neglected to sign that player profile since Wilson arrived. 

So as much as the tactics and movement are all wrong. I don’t think he’s signed the players to play any other way. And I can’t see it changing much.

At times it’s abysmal. Ball into Lundstrums feet who can turn into space…nope pops it straight back where it came from.  I’ve come to believe it’s encouraged, if it’s not encouraged it certainly not addressed. 

It’s almost like we want to pop it about the back like we are trying to draw out some decent team away in Europe who have a bit of ambition. Meanwhile StJ are more than happy for us to pop it around our third as long as we want.