The confidence in Michael Beale

Smile

16 minutes ago, MillerTimeDavie said:

In terms of recruiting managers we must be one of the worst clubs in world football. Lets be honest, Gerrard was a dud too as apart from 55 we won sweet f all and got put out cups by pub teams like St Johnstone & St Mirren. The last competent manager we had was Walter and I'm not buying the argument that we can't afford anybody decent.

A lazy board is the reason we can't attract anybody better. Lopetegui was reportedly on 3 million a year at Wolves. That isn't much more than what we can offer. I refuse to believe that with that wage packet we couldn't afford anybody better than Gerrard's big mouthed coffee boy. 

3 minutes ago, King Rager said:

A lazy board is the reason we can't attract anybody better. Lopetegui was reportedly on 3 million a year at Wolves. That isn't much more than what we can offer. I refuse to believe that with that wage packet we couldn't afford anybody better than Gerrard's big mouthed coffee boy. 

That’s almost £60,000 a week. We can’t afford that for anybody. :lol:

1 hour ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Why did Beale sign him then? At 28 you know what a player is going to be. It’s not like he’s some 19-20 year old who’s done well somewhere but is rough around the edges. At that age and for that outlay you should be confident that you are signing somebody close to the finished article.

You do get the feeling that Beale is very egotistical, when Wilson left and we didnt replace him, Beale suddenly became the big cheese with regards to signings, and perhaps his ego got the better of him "i want this player and to fuck if he's actually what we need" 

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Seemed a really sensible signing at the time, and he was moderately successful too in comparison to other managers. 

In his day, he  (GVB) was our best player, it just shows you how much the game has changed when that means virtually nothing when you are a manager nowadays, he had far more  goodwill on his side than  Beale who now has very slim chance of saving his job.

1 minute ago, Unionblue said:

In his day, he was our best player, it just shows you how much the game has changed when that means virtually nothing when you are a manager nowadays, he had far more than goodwill on his side than  Beale who now has very slim chance of saving his job.

Absolutely. It's ruthless.

As you say, as an ex player Gio had a lot of goodwill. He won us a cup, got us to a major European final, and that still wasnt enough to save him

8 minutes ago, King Rager said:

You've completely misunderstood my point. 

I don’t disagree with what you are saying at all, Beale isn’t value for money (how many areas do we seem to say that in) but I still think we have a cap well below what Lopategai was getting at Wolves not just in terms of wages, but also in terms of resources that managers have to work with too because it’s a drop in the ocean, even in comparison to most shite clubs in big leagues. 

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I don’t disagree with what you are saying at all, Beale isn’t value for money (how many areas do we seem to say that in) but I still think we have a cap well below what Lopategai was getting at Wolves not just in terms of wages, but also in terms of resources that managers have to work with too because it’s a drop in the ocean, even in comparison to most shite clubs in big leagues. 

Yup it’s not just as simple as here is the wage budget, it’s what sort of budget and player market they will work in too.

He actually had a bit of a track record as a manager too.

It fizzled out towards the end for him at Feyernoord, and people latched on to the horseshoe thing, but he was still their most successful manager in about 15 years in terms of trophies won.

I don’t want to bring him up, as @Jimbeamjunior knows, but I think Gio is a good coach with decent tactical nous. We seen that in the Europa League and I think if he went to any middling team in a top five league he would do relatively well. His approach was just a little bit too conservative for us domestically and it ultimately cost him.

No point in going over wether he should have been sacked because he was, but last season from the scottish cup win against hearts was just a riot both our fault and absolute terrible luck

By the time we switched managers everyone bar one summer signing was injured, gio rightly took the canning for the results but being left with players not wanting to be there, players not good enough and a shit load of crocks, it was always going to go off the rails sometime

This season has the feeling of going off the rails, difference is Beale has everyone he wants

I stand by that last season if Lawrence doesn't get crocked we arent 9 behind at the shutdown

I'm not suggesting move the wage bill up to attract a good manager either. The wage packet is attractive as is. 

And it's all relative. You're bang on, we don't have the same resources as Wolves but we have a bigger gap in budget and resources to the rest of the league than we do with Wolves. 

For the salary and opportunity for a crack at European football, trophies and the Premier League just down the road, its an attractive job to managers with good cv's.

Why we aren't able to seek them out is a question that really needs put to the board if we end up sacking Beale. 

1 hour ago, plymouthranger said:

We need a style of play. For his flaws that were exposed at Lyon, Leverkusen etc. Petr Bosz makes sides where everyone knows what they’re doing and there’s a clear identity. 

We seem to put players out on the pitch in a shape and hope for the best. Not so much a criticism of last night, but one of the games against Morton, Ross County etc where we create fuck all. 

My worry is we’ll scrape by until mid Autumn, then get stuck incapable of beating a low block. Beales shown me nothing that makes me think he can suss that out, he’ll be fine in OFs and against top 6 SPFL sides, but we should be putting 3-4 past the bottom 6 every week and we dont

Between him coming in last season and this he has lost to 3 teams in the league 

fenians

aberdeen

killie

we have won every game in the league bar these 3 and a draw with the waen rapists.

so he has shown that he can get round low blocks etc.

this is what I was saying this morning there’s loads of arguments against how his tenure is going but people are getting sucked in and losing the ability to be objective 

4 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Between him coming in last season and this he has lost to 3 teams in the league 

fenians

aberdeen

killie

we have won every game in the league bar these 3 and a draw with the waen rapists.

so he has shown that he can get round low blocks etc.

this is what I was saying this morning there’s loads of arguments against how his tenure is going but people are getting sucked in and losing the ability to be objective 

Drew with hearts as well

13 minutes ago, King Rager said:

I'm not suggesting move the wage bill up to attract a good manager either. The wage packet is attractive as is. 

And it's all relative. You're bang on, we don't have the same resources as Wolves but we have a bigger gap in budget and resources to the rest of the league than we do with Wolves. 

For the salary and opportunity for a crack at European football, trophies and the Premier League just down the road, its an attractive job to managers with good cv's.

Why we aren't able to seek them out is a question that really needs put to the board if we end up sacking Beale. 

Not sure that is true to be honest.

I think in terms of spend, we are closer to Aberdeen than we are to Wolves.

Based on the figures @psb07158 posted yesterday, our wage bill is £64m. Wolves is £142m, so over double ours.

Would imagine there will be about £50m between us and Aberdeen and about £80m between us and Wolves.

18 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No point in going over wether he should have been sacked because he was, but last season from the scottish cup win against hearts was just a riot both our fault and absolute terrible luck

By the time we switched managers everyone bar one summer signing was injured, gio rightly took the canning for the results but being left with players not wanting to be there, players not good enough and a shit load of crocks, it was always going to go off the rails sometime

This season has the feeling of going off the rails, difference is Beale has everyone he wants

I stand by that last season if Lawrence doesn't get crocked we arent 9 behind at the shutdown

Ultimately regardless of the circumstances, the can lies with the manager. Rightly, or wrongly, that’s what happened with Gio last season and if this season heads in the same direction then it should happen with Beale as well because he’s had more say on his signings and he doesn’t have the equity that Gio had in terms of the Europa League final or the Scottish Cup either. 

1 hour ago, MillerTimeDavie said:

In terms of recruiting managers we must be one of the worst clubs in world football. Lets be honest, Gerrard was a dud too as apart from 55 we won sweet f all and got put out cups by pub teams like St Johnstone & St Mirren. The last competent manager we had was Walter and I'm not buying the argument that we can't afford anybody decent.

hmm...

hurting?

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Not sure that is true to be honest.

I think in terms of spend, we are closer to Aberdeen than we are to Wolves.

Based on the figures @psb07158 posted yesterday, our wage bill is £64m. Wolves is £142m, so over double ours.

Would imagine there will be about £50m between us and Aberdeen and about £80m between us and Wolves.

Youre being a bit pedantic. That particular point doesnt need to be dead on for the overall point to stand. We still have far superior resources to the rest of the league, bar one. 

Just now, King Rager said:

Youre being a bit pedantic. That particular point doesnt need to be dead on for the overall point to stand. We still have far superior resources to the rest of the league, bar one. 

Aye, but come the end of the year, we are going to be miles ahead of the pack.

We are either going to be 1st or 2nd.

Its not like these teams are going to be up there with us.

If we were to sack Beale, we could if we wanted go an appoint any manager in the league outwith Rogers.

We cant go out and get managers who are in the frame for EPL and even top championship jobs anymore. We would have to cast our net further afield and try to get either someone who has been fired from a top 5 league, or go out into the emerging markets for a Knudsen type.