The Michael Beale Thread.

DavieMacRFC

1 hour ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

Been saying it for years now but our transfers are so opportunistic rather than well thought out.  Theres no apparent profile of player attributes, system in mind, style of football. Its as if Beale has thought, "I'll sign a bunch of attacking players I've liked in the past and they will work it out and come together".

Signing Dessers, Lammers, Danilo and Sima and then complaining we didnt have a Ryan Kent type player a few games into the season summed it up for me. Just hoping it would work rather than signing players to complement a fixed system. 

We had joy end of last season with Cantwell high and central with runners ahead of him like Sakala. We completely abandoned that to play him deeper, and bring in two slow forwards in Lammer and Dessers, and spend 6 million on Danilo to then drop him or rotate him with Roofe etc.

Cannot for the life of me work out what he was thinking.

All this, plus a complete failure to fix the slow, ageing, and leaky defence.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We stopped the ten, watched them absolutely implode, they sold 2 players for over 20mill that summer and we didn't get any bids for ours it would seem

They had and still have no DoF to do this shit, they just have a CEO who isn't a football man, but knows how to make their finances tick 

I think you’re both right. If you have a competent board who have already implemented a transfer strategy and appropriate scouting framework. And who are cognisant of the short term incentive problems facing managers. There isn’t necessarily a need. Add in that Postecoglou brought a lot to their recruitment process.

But there is, as the OP pointed out, an incentive problem facing any OF manager. Where they would naturally prioritise short term success over long term. So there is a need for somebody or some structure to make sure of long term goals.

I can’t for the life of me see a good recruitment policy in place. The contract situation with Goldson, Morelos and Kent was farcical and criminally incompetent.

The January signings arguably cost us the league and maybe even the Europa league. (I feel for Gio in that regard). 

This Summer and last Summer has been all over the place. And we’re now looking at a bunch of sunk costs, a rebuild still needed. A bloated squad and no sellable assets.

There's genuinely nothing good to say about it at this point.

I got my expectations up thinking he was going to give us attacking football with 7/8 guys who can contribute and get in on the goals.

The starting 11 changes every game, the formation changes every game, we dont move teams about, it's all very predictable for the opposition.

It might not be in the next 4/5 games but once we get into the second quarter of the season things will unravel when teams realise if they go ahead we're fucked. By that point we'll be further behind celtic and possibly out the League Cup.

15 minutes ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

Our assistant manager can't remember the result of our Champions League qualifier last month.

An absolute fucking embarrassment.

It's actually wild when you think of the incompetence coming from our management team. 

3 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

I think this is exactly our problem though.

Our scouting team go “oh someone once bought them for millions. They must be worth that if we can just get them going”.

Instead of acknowledging that clubs with bigger budgets than us occasionally get it wrong and overpay.

I would love to be a fly on the wall and pull up the stats and video footage/performances of Dessers or Lammers in the last season that made us think he was worth that money.

Its like the equivalent of McBurnie going for 20 million. And thinking that getting him for 10-15 is some kind of great deal.

Its a lazy approach imo and shows a real lack of framework and expertise. 

I’d much rather sign a player from an inferior league like Japan. Who is a standout player and widely regarded as one of the best players in the league. And a good age who is improving.

Than signing someone who is performing crap just because some club once overpaid for him.

Mate, I'm not justifying the shitshow that's been our transfer policy, I'm merely hoping that the players must have something more about them than what they've shown to date as they've played at more competitive levels than our league but they look an absolute million miles from being worth what we've paid for them, its disgraceful. However, everyone on the pitch looks lost, including the new players so am clinging to a tiny bit of hope, naive I know. 

Even when the rumoured interest in these players started, I didn't fall over myself to suggest "best transfer window ever" as they didn't have any promising form, stats, etc. that would support us spunking millions on them. Undisclosed transfers out next summer beckons for most of them = taking hits on them.

Not really the board's fault as they backed their man but they also have previous on "not judging a Rangers player after a few games". Well I'm sorry, sometimes you just look at a player and know he'll never ever do for us and the front line is now riddled with them. Scandalous what we've spent and everyone knows Roofe is still the best striker we have. Mismanagement (again) of the highest order. 

3 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

I think this is exactly our problem though.

Our scouting team go “oh someone once bought them for millions. They must be worth that if we can just get them going”.

Instead of acknowledging that clubs with bigger budgets than us occasionally get it wrong and overpay.

I would love to be a fly on the wall and pull up the stats and video footage/performances of Dessers or Lammers in the last season that made us think he was worth that money.

Its like the equivalent of McBurnie going for 20 million. And thinking that getting him for 10-15 is some kind of great deal.

Its a lazy approach imo and shows a real lack of framework and expertise. 

I’d much rather sign a player from an inferior league like Japan. Who is a standout player and widely regarded as one of the best players in the league. And a good age who is improving.

Than signing someone who is performing crap just because some club once overpaid for him.

Davies, Matondo, Dessers, Lammers, Cantwell, Sima are all in that boat.

Either signed for big money in the past or played in a "top league" so they must be good. Other than Cantwell the rest had nothing that said they would be good.

As much as I wasn't Sakala's biggest fan, he was a valid punt as he was at a good age and had done well in Belgium. They won't all work out, but at least you can justify someone like that and they will have a decent sell on value if they won't work out.

God knows who's taking Dessers, Lammers or Matondo.

23 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I was thinking the other day, it must be tough to be under 25 and support Rangers. At least I've experienced some magical times. Five straight managers and a couple of interims, and for the most part, they are all underachievers.

Yes, must be tough for anyone who's quite young they have mainly been served up failure.

3 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

There are a right good handful of you that love to wallow in self pity - post count goes through the roof when there’s something to complain about too.

Yes, have to admit I do that, usually because I'm so angry about the results and the way the teams going and want to vent, ultimately it changes nothing.

23 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I was thinking the other day, it must be tough to be under 25 and support Rangers. At least I've experienced some magical times. Five straight managers and a couple of interims, and for the most part, they are all underachievers.

I was thinking about that, is it actually?

If you're 30-35+ you've went through the best period in our history and now have to put up with the worst. At least if you're 20-odd you've always been used to shite so you don't have the expectations.

8 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Spoke well previously in pressers. 

Today's interview was embarrassing mate. At least Beale acknowledged after the game it wasn't good enough.

if Banfield actually believes what he said, then I doubt the players give any credence to his thoughts. He actually had the gall to say Wright was good. Delusional.

24 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

Mate, I'm not justifying the shitshow that's been our transfer policy, I'm merely hoping that the players must have something more about them than what they've shown to date as they've played at more competitive levels than our league but they look an absolute million miles from being worth what we've paid for them, its disgraceful. However, everyone on the pitch looks lost, including the new players so am clinging to a tiny bit of hope, naive I know. 

Even when the rumoured interest in these players started, I didn't fall over myself to suggest "best transfer window ever" as they didn't have any promising form, stats, etc. that would support us spunking millions on them. Undisclosed transfers out next summer beckons for most of them = taking hits on them.

Not really the board's fault as they backed their man but they also have previous on "not judging a Rangers player after a few games". Well I'm sorry, sometimes you just look at a player and know he'll never ever do for us and the front line is now riddled with them. Scandalous what we've spent and everyone knows Roofe is still the best striker we have. Mismanagement (again) of the highest order. 

This bit is particularly true. It just doesn’t make sense to have spent so much of the budget on positions we are covered for.

One of Dessers or Danillo would have been fine. And then a back up for a cheaper fee. I know Roofe is a gamble with his injury history. But it was very clearly relayed from the medical team and experts he saw that they were very optimistic that his surgery would fix his problems.

Now in our strongest team you could arguably have Dessers, Danilo and Lammers all on the bench. If Beale pivots back to the more traditional 2 wide and one striker approach. (Which I think he wants to).

But we have no wingers and no good midfielders and half the defence needs freshened/upgraded. 

14 minutes ago, middli said:

Folk have been raging on here about Banfield being a clown based on little more than how he dresses on a match day. At least today he came out and spoke to us to confirm that he is one. 

He does give off strong “yer da’s first holiday abroad” vibes tbf

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Today's interview was embarrassing mate. At least Beale acknowledged after the game it wasn't good enough.

if Banfield actually believes what he said, then I doubt the players give any credence to his thoughts. He actually had the gall to say Wright was good. Delusional.

I know I've posted as such. I'm just saying it's not the first time he's been rolled out for pressers and previously he spoken well.

1 hour ago, The Godfather said:

We beat PSV....

Jesus fuck man

That’s absolutely astonishing for one of our coaches to come out with that, might as well bring in Joe Biden as a performance analyst while we are at it.

the sooner this circus act leaves town the better

1 hour ago, Professor_Chang said:

Sensing out Banfield to do this shows what a shite bag he is.  Get him out asap

It’s not an unusual thing to do at this stage of the cup but yes I still see it as cowardly and NB doesn’t exactly ooze charisma or sadly someone you’d follow into battle.