Ex player to join coaching staff

MisterC

1 hour ago, BlueVanguard said:

Someone told me he was a diehard Rangers fan a while ago and told them bullshit 😂 I thought he was one of them

100% Rangers.  Worked with his brother and as above seen him up the Club Deck a couple of times.

18 hours ago, MisterC said:

News coming put this evening that Clement is going to add an ex player to the staff so we have someone with an inside knowledge of scottish football. 

Who will it be then?

Thomson always get linked but I wouldn't be surprised if Lee McCulloch makes a return. 

Lee McCulloch......just because.

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

Why would we hire a coach who will probably be gone in a month when the first Prem job comes along?

You say he's been out of work for a while, he was a sacked a month before the end of the season and we're now 2 months into this season. In the football calendar it's not been that long. He'll be one of the strong favourites for the next available job.

Agree to disagree but I don't see it personally

I’d be quite happy to hire a coach who could leave on short notice because he’s effectively overqualified. To me, that’s a positive, as long as you try to replace him with similar quality when he goes. 

Jobs at Dundee and Hibs have already come up since he left St Johnstone. You’d think he’d be a strong candidate for any side in the mid/lower SPL, but there’s a lot of competition. Maybe he’d rather work in the meantime. Could be 3 months, could be 9. Being a coach at Rangers won’t do his reputation or bank balance harm. 

I actually totally agree with you that it’s unlikely. A guy who’s been a manager will understandably see most coaching jobs as a backward step. I’d seen his name suggested on other threads and just thought it was the kind of coaching appointment I’d like to see us attempt. 

2 hours ago, rangersross said:

Finally listened to his Sky interview. Unless he really doesn’t gel with them, it seems very likely it’ll be Rae and/or Davis who permanently join the coaching staff to fill this role. 

Surely he would look at the poor record that Rae has as a coach and say no. If not he is not strong enough to be our manager. I do not know if Davi’s has done any coaching but he seems to be a fixture.

7 hours ago, Orange Persson said:

Not getting inspired by any of this.......show me how Rangers works thing.

The irony of your username, given Orjan Persson was a foreign player who knew nothing about Rangers before arriving in Scotland and without a doubt would have had someone dear to the club teach him what it all meant

4 hours ago, docspiderman said:

Surely he would look at the poor record that Rae has as a coach and say no. If not he is not strong enough to be our manager. I do not know if Davi’s has done any coaching but he seems to be a fixture.

If he wants to work with Rae he’s not strong enough to be our manager? Lay off the drugs. :lol:

If anyone- It’s going to be ex player Thomas Buffel.  Pro-license, both Belgium 🇧🇪 Bumped into each other several times on their career paths. Consulted him before coming - so he obviously trusts him  

He would be daft to go for someone he doesn’t know  

23 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

If anyone- It’s going to be ex player Thomas Buffel.  Pro-license, both Belgium 🇧🇪 Bumped into each other several times on their career paths. Consulted him before coming - so he obviously trusts him  

He would be daft to go for someone he doesn’t know  

It does make sense to go with Buffel but wouldn’t say he’s daft to go with somebody he doesn’t already know well lol. He already said he’s going to work with Davis and Rae and see how it goes. I wouldn’t be against they two being part of his coaching team. Clement will still have some of his own people around him and he will still be making the decisions.

Think people are putting too much importance on the role he would expect them to play. Surely it’s good to have people around the club that have played for the team and won titles and can pass that experience onto other players coming to the club. I’m sure Davis and Rae can do that as good as Buffel, It’s no like they’ll be picking the team and telling Clement how to play.

30 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Can we stop this need to know the SPL inside out pish. :lol:

We had a manager who knew the league and felt Rugby Park wasn’t the place for Cantwell.

He may have known the league but he didn't treat the league like he should have as Rangers manager. Big difference. That's what having someone with that knowledge brings. I'm sure with him watching all our matches this season before even taking the job and now watching other matches in the league that Clement will have a fair idea about the league. 

45 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Can we stop this need to know the SPL inside out pish. :lol:

We had a manager who knew the league and felt Rugby Park wasn’t the place for Cantwell.

He was a coach and wasn't ready/suitable to be a manager. Not everyone is.