Goal difference

Just now, RFC55 said:

If we win at the midden we’d only need them to draw one.

but the chances of it are slim, but there’s still a chance 

Aye a meant if they won the next 2 if we won there. If they got by Killie with a win you’d be hoping it’s the odd goal and we’ve put 6 by Dundee. That’s the chance we have on GD because they would respond with that 6 on the last day, I think. 

Ideal if they lose this weekend, but I think best we can hope for is 3 straight draws for them. We would need to be in the driving seat on the last day for me. Needing 5 or 6 goals I just can’t see it. 

1 hour ago, beararse said:

Dessers, to date, has outscored every celtic player in the SPFL whilst Matt O'Riley has scored 2 more goals than our entire midfield combined in the SPFL this season.

Cantwell 5, Lundstram 0, Diomande 2, Lawrence 1, Sterling 0, Dowell 2, Jack 1.... O'Riley 13!

Those midfield stats are horrendous.

1 hour ago, left winger said:

Those midfield stats are horrendous.

Yep. Fucking ridiculous that between 6 midfielders they’ve scored 11 goals and 2 of them are from the new guy just in the door!

2 hours ago, beararse said:

Folk do realise this. Pretty much everyone knows he's scored 14 int the SPFL. That's a goal every 140 mins in the league.

So why say 20 when it’s a conversation about the league?  
and not mention the fact those horrendous misses makes the “goal difference” very important.  

My point is clear. He’s not scored enough league goals and the easy chances he missed means we might lose the league on goal difference. 

it’s not hard to understand.  

(please nobody else quote other players in the league I’m not fucking interested). 

4 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Oh when you put it in context like that it makes me feel better, so I see now.  Thanks 

does that mean it doesn’t matter he missed a few howlers, because we might lose the league on goal difference? 

😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If we don't make up goal difference (and hopefully points too) this weekend then I just don't see it happening.

Get what you're saying but it's the Dundee match I feel we have the best chance of pulling some goals back. The scum took 7 off them at Parkhead and we absolutely battered them in the first half at Ibrox up until Cifuentes got sent off. 

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

So why say 20 when it’s a conversation about the league?  
and not mention the fact those horrendous misses makes the “goal difference” very important.  

My point is clear. He’s not scored enough league goals and the easy chances he missed means we might lose the league on goal difference. 

it’s not hard to understand.  

(please nobody else quote other players in the league I’m not fucking interested). 

Because he's scored 20 goals this season! Never EVER have i heard anyone say 'yes! we've signed '20 goal+ in the league' striker. Its common parlance to refer to a striker by the total goals they score per season and not break it down into competitions. Most folk have enough about them to work that bit out for themselves, as you have just done.

Its been stated to death on here how much he's scored in the league (which to reiterate yet again is equivalent to 1 goal every game and a half when you account for actual minutes played: and its all minus penalty duties) If Dessers was on penalites and only had a 66% conversion rate he'd be on 30 goals this season with 5 games to go. Would you still be complaining about his contribution?

It’s not that clear cut tho’ as you talk about goals scored but it’s not just about goals scored, is it?

It’s goal difference. Unless of course GD is tied (which I don’t think has ever happened in Scotland and only 4 times in England(last time was 60 years ago)

If we hadn’t conceded 5 goals v Ross County and Dundee we’d be level on goal difference so it’s all relevant.

Yes, Dessers could have scored more goals as could Danilo, Lovelace, Sima, Wright, Lammers, Roofe, Lawrence and everyone else bar Tav: every single striker in the world COULD/SHOULD have scored more goals. Just as we COULD/SHOULD have conceded less. Goals scored AND goals conceded. That’s how GD works

The added bonus, had we not leaked goals against the dross, we wouldn’t even be taking about GD/GS.

Being honest, I’m not convinced Dessers scoring v Ross County and Dundee would necessarily have altered the course of events given our teams defensive ability to shit a leak when the pressure’s on.

The league is gone and has been since the Ross County and Dundee results.   Anybody who thinks we will win at Parkhead is deluded.   We need to win at Parkhead and hope the other lot drop other points.   That is asking for two "helicopter Sunday" moments in the next two weeks.   That will not happen.  

31 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

The league is gone and has been since the Ross County and Dundee results.   Anybody who thinks we will win at Parkhead is deluded.   We need to win at Parkhead and hope the other lot drop other points.   That is asking for two "helicopter Sunday" moments in the next two weeks.   That will not happen.  

I usually like to keep positive but this league looke fucked to me., and the prospect of going to their place with no fans of ours there....not a chance. Every time just before we plkay them we get that bravado, but as the match gets nearer, the reality kicks in. When we take one point off 6 from them AT HOME, you know they just haven't got it in them to go there and win. No prospect whatsoever. Even if they lost their fear of coming to Ibrox without any fans, we certainly have not. And as teams have worked out just how to handle us and disrupt us lately, we have just not been able to raise our game at all. I don't know what the fuck has gone wrong in the league, but this squad can't fix it this season.

2 minutes ago, RealWorldRich said:

Winning the league on goal difference is a big ask with us being 8 goals behind and so few games left.  Unless we batter Kilmarnock by 4 goals today I think we could rule it out.

Win today by 2 and then put 3 past them next weekend and it's all square.

That's the sort of mindset I'd like our players to have

23 minutes ago, Southsider said:

Win today by 2 and then put 3 past them next weekend and it's all square.

That's the sort of mindset I'd like our players to have

Absolutely zero chance we keep 2 clean sheets over the next 2 games. 

Maybe an opportunity missed to grab one more. Having said that if we’re going to win next week it will probably be by just a goal. And you’d expect them to put a few on st Mirren. So probably won’t matter in the end.

Beat them next week and Killie away is as tough as it gets in the league.