Do we need a system change?

Just now, esquire8 said:

It's the players. Not the system.

You have 2 holding midfielders and an attacking midfielder who presses.

Yesterday was another prime example of 2 players not capable of doing that in Lundstram and Lawrence. Lundstram was sitting on the centre backs toes again and Lawrence couldn't run. Players need to be dynamic and make up the yards quickly. 

Could change the system to suit the players but right now I have no confidence in any of the players bar 2 or 3. 

If the players can't make the system work then until the players can be changed its the system that needs altered.

We don't have 2 holding midfielders capable of keeping celtics midfield at bay because our front 4 aren't defensive enough to help out. So we need more midfielders starting to compensate for it. It's pretty obvious otherwise it'll be the same outcome in the cup final.

8 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Think we need Sterlings energy in the middle tbh, hopefully there’s truth in the Ben Johnson rumours and we can get that done, can’t see him coming here as a back up 

Sure a read he’s going to Crystal Palace 

24 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Because it was so successful with Gerrard towards the later stages it's just stayed as is. Barasic and Tav are too old and slow to play it and have been for 2 seasons now. 

They have worked us out to the point they can play weakened teams and play well below par and still guaranteed to beat us. 

We need a total rethink and the squad needs ripped up. The profile cannot be allowed ot be the likes of Dessers, Matondo and Lammers again or we are fucked. Every season it seems to be said but this summer is massive.

You pick 3 forwards and one who has scored 21 goals? The problem is the defense. We need to get rid of Tav, Goldson, Lundstrum and Barasic. They are the problem and have been for years, liabilities each and every one of them.

I think having a defined system in general would help as at the minute I don't really see one. I couldn't really tell you what type of team we are 

I think what clement has done has kept it pretty similar throughout but tweaking how we target the opponent. For example yesterday trying to hit the back post as celtic have been weak there. I can see the logic in that as its hard to have drastic changes during a season. He may say it worked as he got results and us back in the title race.

He will no doubt feel his hands have been tied with the players he has, which he might have a point about next season I want to see his identity stamped on the team

Need to go a flat 442. 10 of our 11 league opponants sit in against us so we dont need two holding midfielders in the league. We need 2 out and out strikers as most weeks they are up against 4 or 5 defenders and 1 up isnt going to cut it. 

Massive clear out required and hand on heart there are only 2 or 3 players you would keep out of the whole squad. 

31 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

He had potential pre injury I’d like see him fully fit with decent pre season in him before writing him off, Martinez said he close to a Belgium call up so he must have more ability than he’s shown here so far.

Use your eyes. Raskin is a terrible footballer 

We probably need a system change for the final but not beyond that.

The other thing is I don’t think our players are poor to the extent that he’s instructing them to continually boot long balls into channels rather than trying to pass it.

He likes it played forward quickly but you can beat a press with passing rather than just fucking hoofing it.

It’s the players not the system. 

Lundstram jogging about wae no legs yet again. Lawrence the same. 

No athletes in the team anymore as Tav continues his decline. We need powerful footballers in the middle and runners at LB and RB. Football is a simple game. 

Not even in the CL groups but the absolute stand out player against us in the past 3-4 years was Sangare at PSV. Strong, quick, a complete athlete. That’s the profile we’re missing. Replace Lundstram, Barisic, Tav, Dessers, Goldson with those types of profile and we’d be absolutely fine. 

59 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We need better players

With the tactics the manager is using it’s not as simple as getting better players. Yesterday for example going long ball all day with better players still results in celtic dominating the game in my opinion. Not many top teams play 4231 anymore for good reason. 

Just now, nik2402 said:

With the tactics the manager is using it’s not as simple as getting better players. Yesterday for example going long ball all day with better players still results in celtic dominating the game in my opinion. Not many top teams play 4231 anymore for good reason. 

If he had better players he might not need to go long. Our midfielders are honking 

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Midfields win games.

Offensively they are supposed to help. 

yesterdays starting midfield have 4 goals between them in the SPL.

Defensively they are there to help. How many times have we watched teams have clear runs or shots at us.

Going with the same midfield yesterday that was completely over-run at Ibrox in first half was absolutely insane.

Allowing Lawrence to start second half in a midfield 2 was just mind boggling.

Allowing Lawrence to start the game at all was mind boggling. Fuck, this team needs a right enema! Roll on next season. 

Just now, The Godfather said:

If he had better players he might not need to go long. Our midfielders are honking 

So we have better players than Dundee and Ross County for example. So why did we go long in the games and most away games actually? 

I just don’t see a manager getting a job and playing direct football for 7 months then totally changing when he has new players. Managers tend to play a certain way and start introducing how they want their team to look from the start. Clement has operated the same way in every single game he’s been here. I just don’t see that changing.

4 minutes ago, nik2402 said:

So we have better players than Dundee and Ross County for example. So why did we go long in the games and most away games actually? 

I just don’t see a manager getting a job and playing direct football for 7 months then totally changing when he has new players. Managers tend to play a certain way and start introducing how they want their team to look from the start. Clement has operated the same way in every single game he’s been here. I just don’t see that changing.

I’ll have few complaints if it’s successful but I hope industrial direct football isn’t how he wants to play when he does get his own players.

Fear it might be.

Playing style and formation are ok with the right attitude. Our players distinct lack of intensity will reduce the effectiveness of any system we select.

The manager looks like he prefers to stick with the 4231 option and will hopefully get players in with the right attitude and skill set to make this work.

Honestly see since St Johnstone away we have played well once(hearts) I thought I was imagining it at the time but we were so scared and slow thankfully dio smashed one in from 20 yards. That was when we went top, is it pressure? Is it the players or manager or both?

The harsh reality this squad finishes mid table championship. Any tactical masterplan won't change that when the lack of quality and mentality is as big as it currently is. 

If you actually read about Clements time at Monaco, his setup here is very similar, they started well & eventually got figured out, they sacked him after 1 win in 7 when he refused to change his ways.

He relies on fullbacks to be the ones to take the ball from the back, he plays with 2 in midfield and a #10 & his teams go long out to the wings and look for 2nd balls then rely on lots of crosses.

All of that is what we've seen when he's been here so he isn't changing anything, even with his own players.

We won't see any radical changes until the personell has changed, we are kinda stuck with what we have, the only really bonus we have is Sterling.....for me he has to play either for Lundstram or I wouldn't be against putting him in at right back or centre half again 

19 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Honestly see since St Johnstone away we have played well once(hearts) I thought I was imagining it at the time but we were so scared and slow thankfully dio smashed one in from 20 yards. That was when we went top, is it pressure? Is it the players or manager or both?

Players and manager 

Yeah I am tired of seeing a sitting midfielder taking and exchanging passes with the CBs.

Great away in Europe but never at home in the league. 

Play 3 mobile Strikers, let them interchange. If your fast and technical but can't score then your pointless. 

If yer the left and right striker you need to get to back post area for balls across and crosses. Attack the box.

Midfield 3 need to have energy, legs, and not be scared to carry the ball or shoot. 

Let the back 4 defend and the Fullbacks can take turns attacking.

Bring in players who play like the above 

No 10s that can't run, but are technically good. 

No cdms that can't run

No lump strikers that can't run.

49 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Need to go a flat 442. 10 of our 11 league opponants sit in against us so we dont need two holding midfielders in the league. We need 2 out and out strikers as most weeks they are up against 4 or 5 defenders and 1 up isnt going to cut it. 

Massive clear out required and hand on heart there are only 2 or 3 players you would keep out of the whole squad. 

Yeh you don’t need 2 holding midfielders. But you need at a minimum 2 actual midfielders.

You could argue that Hatate, McGregor and O’Riley aren’t holding midfielders.

But they are centre mids.

It’s a different skill set to what Lawrence, Dowell and Cantwell have. Those 3 neither know positionally how to defend. Or how to pass and move it effectively in midfield. 

We got over ran in midfield against County and Dundee when we only started with one natural centre mid in Lundstram.

Next season I’d like to see Diomande and Sterling next to a young creative centre mid. Obviously finding a creative centre mid who can score goals is not easy…