Clement Signs New Contract

Just now, J-Maestro said:

Big doubters for dragging us back in to a title race with a honking injury list?

I'm glad we've got a manager who has a full view of the actual situation who wants to rebuild the club long term. 

I am as well but I'm not convinced we have a fanbase that can/will accept it.

Not sure how I feel about this tbh! I love the gaffer but it looks like we are backing ourself into a corner if things don’t go well. Then if we do sack him the payoff will be ridiculously high and no doubt impact our transfers for the next manager. However I do trust him more than the board in terms of getting on field decisions correct.

3 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

I said the other day no Rangers manager could survive certain things no matter how badly we were being run or how many restrictions he had on him, guess I was wrong and we are going with him in the long run no matter how the next few months go.

Regardless of your thoughts on him absolutely everyone needs to get behind him as this is clearly a long term project.

I'll be 100% behind the team and the manager.

It's up to them to deliver on the park or, at the very worst, show strong signs of progress. 

The board has to back the manager further now as well.

But, my initial reaction is that this seems like a bizarre extension. 

Just now, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

It's only an extra year.

I suppose, but as others have alluded to above, maybe he still has enough to prove to say the remaining 3 was plenty?

Can’t believe we gave him 4 years straight off the bat, but maybe that was what it took to get him in the first place?

Just now, .Williamson. said:

Seems quite a weird one. Surely unless we manage to miraculously do well this season it’ll just mean a larger termination fee to get rid of him? :lol:

Sceptic in me thinks that's Clements view of it also, a case of if you want me to deal with all the shite then cough up a bigger wage/contract 

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Seems quite a weird one. Surely unless we manage to miraculously do well this season it’ll just mean a larger termination fee to get rid of him? :lol:

Think the board have written this season off tbh.

1 minute ago, HG5 said:

I suppose, but as others have alluded to above, maybe he still has enough to prove to say the remaining 3 was plenty?

Can’t believe we gave him 4 years straight off the bat, but maybe that was what it took to get him in the first place?

Think this is more symbolic than anything else, a show from the club that we're all in it together and the aim is long term.

4 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

I am as well but I'm not convinced we have a fanbase that can/will accept it.

We don’t. I can accept having to give the rebuild time if there’s a clear improvement in our football, but there’ll be very few willing to give him time if we are still playing dross while miles behind in the league 

I think this reinforces the feeling that we don't actually expect to win much this year. A transition year and extending Clement's contract is a show of faith in the manager that he's the long term solution, and a way of signalling to the support that there's no point calling for him to be sacked if/when we're trailing in the league this year.

Just now, .Williamson. said:

We don’t. I can accept having to give the rebuild time if there’s a clear improvement in our football, but there’ll be very few willing to give him time if we are still playing dross while miles behind in the league 

Potentially tough times ahead if this scenario plays out.

1 minute ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Think the board have written this season off tbh.

Think most have in terms of silverware but there’ll still be an expectation of how we look when we play the other sides in the league outwidth celtic