Craig Burley in racism storm

tommyw

Anybody seen this?

what a knob...

Can ESPN justify the presence of their co-commentator? Craig Burley, notorious doom lord of the co-commentary brotherhood, appeared on Talksport this morning with ex-Celt Alan Brazil and soon worked himself into a proper grumble on the subject of new Rangers signing El Hadji Diouf. "I commentate on some of the SPL games and I'm gutted that I'm going to have to at some point commentate on this fella." Many within the game - not least supporters of Rangers - find troubling many aspects of this transfer. But Burley seems to forget that he is not merely a rent-a-gob or newspaper columnist. He is, in fact, the co-commentator for ESPN, and entrusted to provide analysis and wisdom alongside the more professional and sensible Derek Rae. Both the Club and the player may wonder if Burley's impartiality may be in question. Regardless, the ex-Celt then went on to make further comments which may be more serious. "The sooner he leaves our little island here in the UK on a single ticket somewhere it will not come soon enough for me." Less charitable observers may wonder if this is a racist comment. At the very least it is a questionable choice of words. Burley has chosen a very odd time to allow his mouth to run away from him. Recent criticism of and keen attention to the words and actions of those in the spotlight of the footballing media hasn't ended well for all. Burley has often found himself the subject of fan and fellow media discontent over his constant stream of negativity and personal comments about players that seem to border on grudges. His next appearance on ESPN commentating on Diouf and Rangers will see greater focus than ever before on this controversial curmudgeon. Some may question whether, in light of his comments today, he deserves the chance to say anything.

My link

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See if all the Rangers fans get an Email sent as many people as we can complaining about him and impatiality he will be sacked i bet. Lets get it done (tu) Fuck the wee taig rhat

Hmm.

Not racist imo, just saying what a lot of folk may have been thinking.

Still stupid comments to make regardless though.

Someone in his profession should know better.

Turn it round though and suppose he was talking about Paddy McCourt or Aiden McGeady....would it then be classed as Racist or just bad taste?

Racist? I don't think so. Fucking idiotic? Most definitely.

This is starting to piss me off now. I'm not exactly over the moon about the shit storm Diouf is causing due to his actions when he wasn't wearing a Rangers jersey, but people jumping on the 'holier than thou' bandwagon ought to check themselves.

I hope this is a stroke of genius from Sir Walter, and everyone is forced to shut their mouths.

Should have phrased it differently but I don't think it's meant to be racist, probably just means out of British football which he watches on a regular basis. People get offended far too easily and its getting out of hand

But if it was Andy Gray saying; "That Samaras kicks a ball like a girl," he'd end up sacked.

The same standards must apply all round and Adoniram makes a valid point, if a pundit was to suggest the tims should go home they would be chased out of their profession as we have seen before. However what has been said isnt all that offensive and also is what many people think and have thought of EHD. Certainly wasnt a very PC thing to say and that to me is the worst aspect, folk moan we are too PC but I dont think we are PC enough, but thats just my angle in relation to that issue.

Turn it round though and suppose he was talking about Paddy McCourt or Aiden McGeady....would it then be classed as Racist or just bad taste?

It wouldn't be racist, as Irish isn't a race, it's a nationality.

Every mope with a laptop would claim anti-Irish racism though, but that's because they're fuckwits.

Sad thing is, most sources would go along with it.

Although I don't think it should be classed as Racist I agree with the point you are making. When we told certain people to go home it was racist so on a level playing feild this should be classed as the same.

It wouldn't be racist, as Irish isn't a race, it's a nationality.

Every mope with a laptop would claim anti-Irish racism though, but that's because they're fuckwits.

Sad thing is, most sources would go along with it.

Tell a lie and repeat it often and loud enough and eventually people will believe it. Its the first rule of propaganda

The man's a knob. I wish I had ESPN, but I'd have to listen to him ramble on about how much Rangers are shit, and how the referees are for us, and how Celtic are the dominant team...

He isn't actually anything like that as a commentator.

But if it was Andy Gray saying; "That Samaras kicks a ball like a girl," he'd end up sacked.

The Andy Gray situation was totally blown out of proportion I agree. As I said its getting out of hand to a point you can't say anything these days. It remains to be seen how the media will react to this but I personally don't really see anything in it.

You could view as racist but i don't think it is intended as racist. People are just looking for any old excuse to either get a story out of nothing or get some cunt the sack. If nobody pointed out a possible racist connotation then i wouldn't even see it as its not the way i read it. Maybe because i didnt go looking for it. I think gumsy is safe on this one but you never know these days :rolleyes: