Pena

MrMckee

1 hour ago, Leeds_Bear said:

If he is given another chance I wonder how the dressing room would react. 

It’s the managers job to determine what’s best for the team.  If the players trust Gerrard then they’ll back his decisions.  If Gerrard decides to give Pena another chance at Rangers I doubt there would be rebellion in the dressing room.  Was Pena causing unrest the last time he was here?  There was nothing to suggest he didn’t get on with his teammates.  

3 hours ago, TMB said:

It’s the managers job to determine what’s best for the team.  If the players trust Gerrard then they’ll back his decisions.  If Gerrard decides to give Pena another chance at Rangers I doubt there would be rebellion in the dressing room.  Was Pena causing unrest the last time he was here?  There was nothing to suggest he didn’t get on with his teammates.  

I’m sure it was earlier in this thread that somebody said he was having a negative influence on Morelos the last time he was here.

25 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I’m sure it was earlier in this thread that somebody said he was having a negative influence on Morelos the last time he was here.

This Alfredo Morelos?

1.thumb.PNG.51b642442ee3a7e14d9f0a0879417ea4.PNG

When asked who the best player he’s shared a team with, he replied: “So far, here, Carlos Pena.”

5.thumb.gif.ed641b2827423f2fa476f11be2f5d200.thumb.gif.98940820ca59a1fa1cb12c41c69ab42c.gif

I don't think Morelos would react in a negative way since he seems to like Pena and rate him as a player.  

1 hour ago, TMB said:

This Alfredo Morelos?

When asked who the best player he’s shared a team with, he replied: “So far, here, Carlos Pena.”

5.thumb.gif.ed641b2827423f2fa476f11be2f5d200.thumb.gif.98940820ca59a1fa1cb12c41c69ab42c.gif

I don't think Morelos would react in a negative way since he seems to like Pena and rate him as a player.  

If Morelos is good friends with Pena of course he’s going to talk him up and look happy when he’s with him. Off the field Pena is a car crash waiting to happen and that’s where the problem was rumoured to be and it could easily be again if Pena comes back.

You can be good friends with somebody, think highly of them and talk them up - especially when you are young - while not seeing what older, more experienced people from the outside looking in can see in the sense that they might be having a bad influence or having a negative impact on your life and preventing you from reaching your full potential.

3 hours ago, TMB said:

This Alfredo Morelos?

You can be friends with someone and still be a bad influence. 

22 minutes ago, giffnockger said:

Would happily give Pena another go... give him a few weeks to prove himself?

We’re paying him and he will be back anyway, so I don’t see why not.

If he really is a lost cause then SG will suss him out quickly, assuming he hasn’t already made that decision, and he won’t get near the team

If not, why not see what he can offer. 

8 hours ago, DBBTB said:

If Morelos is good friends with Pena of course he’s going to talk him up and look happy when he’s with him. Off the field Pena is a car crash waiting to happen and that’s where the problem was rumoured to be and it could easily be again if Pena comes back.

You can be good friends with somebody, think highly of them and talk them up - especially when you are young - while not seeing what older, more experienced people from the outside looking in can see in the sense that they might be having a bad influence or having a negative impact on your life and preventing you from reaching your full potential.

I get where your coming from.  We have no idea what Morelos thinks about Pena in private.  But I wouldn’t take rumours of Pena unsettling Morelos on here as gospel.  There was rumours on here of Kranjcar ‘shouting and screaming at Pedro’ which I never believed.  If Kranjcar was anymore laid back he would be horizontal. I’ve never seen a less passionate footballer and doubt he would ever shout at anyone.  There’s also been a lot of questionable rumours after the Barton incident, and the Murty, Wallace, Miller, debacle of last season.

I do think there’s a player in Pena.  He just needs to get a grip of himself.  IF he does come back, IF he is given a second chance , I hope the support backs him.

We’ve seen with Halliday that vast improvement can be made under a different manager.  Pena could be a great player for us still and we don’t currently have a number 10 type player.

19 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

If he is given another chance I wonder how the dressing room would react. 

I might be unpopular here, but the guy had a problem and he was an alcoholic and I think most if not all in the dressing room will see this.

As for him coming back, all joking aside he could be a good player so long as his head is in the right place. If the guy wants to come back and will toe the line, work hard and get his fitness up and keep it up I think he deserves a chance.

Will be interested to hear what SG has to say on this subject.

We all knew we needed a goalscoring midfielder and yet SG didn't bring one in during the window.

He will have watched most of our games from last season, including the ones in which Pena scored.

Maybe, he sees something in him that he thinks he can work with? Might be totally off track, but stranger things have happened. 

If he knuckles down and can put in a shift and stays sober, I wish him luck (especially if playing for us), if he does stay he may have to have some kind of minder.

I only say that because of what happens/ed to Paul Gascogine, where “journalists” would leave bottles of booze out to get an off the wagon again scoop, it would hardly be earth shattering news in Glasgow but would probably done with malice against the club at the fore front.

44 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

At the time the rumours were flying around about Pena we even had Jason Holt say he was the best player in training etc so it’s not surprising Morelos said that considering they would’ve both had a lot in common being from that part of the world

Their hometowns are 2000 miles apart.