The way the Germans played the night against the tarriers

GOAT

Barca's first goal tonight is a good example of what you can achieve with pressing the ball. A willing runner confident enough to commit defenders ably backed up by workers. Especially important early doors on Sunday. let's test them with purpose and see if we can draw first blood.

Force the mistakes from them instead of letting them do it to us.  We're not a side blessed with quality throughout the team however with the right tactics and attitude there is a result there for us.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to answer the original question of 'what's changed (from last season)'

1.  we are not playing championship teams

2. we are not as tight as a team. (summer signings have not worked).....we were a better 'team' last season with less talented (but together) players

2 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

Not got the players for it I don't think. Gladbach are riddled with quality footballers who can play that way. For as good as Holt and Halliday can be, they just don't have the technical ability to be that good on a ball like Gladbach's midfielders are 

Dont have to do it as well as MGladbach but we can do it, we did exactly that in the Semi final last year, which I read to be the OP, where the hell did it all go?

1 hour ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

Celtic ran at them from the off until they ran out of steam. They did that against Man City and us. We should learn from tonight what to expect and at least deal with it. None so blind as them that will not see, over to us now to put what we have seen to advantage.

To be fair, Celtic have been scoring a lot of goals.  They scored 3 past the Man City team you just mentioned.  It's all good you saying "deal with it" but how?  If we let Celtic have a go at us they'll probably score goals and we don't want another result like last time.

1 hour ago, gsa said:

Wasn't actually intended to be moany! I think it's a pretty accurate description of the physical prowess of the team. 

You have a point, its just on here no one really likes to see the truth is all dreams and ifs and buts as it makes them feel safe.

How that lot took 5 goals of us are we that bad because they are fukin shite the germans were a good team but not a great one if we cant beat these cunts on Sunday we really have got to take a good look at ourselves an where we are under MW

9 hours ago, Inigo said:

That big Kramer barely broke sweat. Stindl was class. Vestergaard had the sellic front line pinned under his pinkie.

We don't have that, sadly. But yeah, we could some lessons from them about shape and pressing.

Last week Stindl couldn't have scored in a brothel, he missed two open goals and BM are mid-table.  But, having said that, the Bundesliga is of a far higher standard than ours.

8 hours ago, jamess said:

when they played city,  they looked very good,  but lost 3-0. Played the same tonight and won easily. Moved the ball about very quickly both games.  I could see a lot of similarities in what we are trying to do,  but they just move the ball so much quicker. No taking a touch,  just pass to a player,  then straight back out.

That's exactly the difference all these European teams pass first or second time and get the ball rolling quickly into attack this season we play almost pedestrian at times and let teams get back into defence and organised

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

How that lot took 5 goals of us are we that bad because they are fukin shite the germans were a good team but not a great one if we cant beat these cunts on Sunday we really have got to take a good look at ourselves an where we are under MW

well that'll be new then!

I was watching both champions league and championship games to see where were going wrong.

Im no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but i can see were not being brave enough. Warburton tries to micro manage, analysing how many touches people are having, how many 'key passages of play'. Forget all that, even Real Madrid and Juventus were just lobbing the ball up the park. After all, its football, the aim is to get the ball in the oppositions net more times than they get it in ours.

Drop McKay. Ohalloran and Forrester on the wings. Miller and Garner/Waghorn up top. Get the ball swung in behind Toure and that other eejit. Millers superb at finding space in the box.

didn't watch the nappy rippers last night - why would any rangers fan?

problem we have is fitness, we simply do not have that final third in the tank like we did last season. Fair enough we were playing lesser opposition but the writing was on the wall in the closing 4 games, lethargic, easily read and being overrun by opposition. We might clinch second clear from the sheep in a few more weeks but i wt wouldn't surprise me if we slip away from it after February. too slim a squad, teams will adapt to our non changing plans......

For me the seasons a write off in terms of first place so my focus is on the players upping their game to beat the scum every game we play them and maintaining second.

After that, the board had better "step up and pay" (see what i did there?) otherwise there'll be serious revolt next season.

10 hours ago, borderbear said:

I agree, I think Waghorn will play with Mckay and Miller/ Garner. In the long run I think Dodoo will prove to be our best forward but the manager appears to have his favourites at least for now.

You can guarantee Miller will be the first name on the team sheet. Which is probably fair after Inverness.

1 hour ago, gersandy said:

I was watching both champions league and championship games to see where were going wrong.

Im no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but i can see were not being brave enough. Warburton tries to micro manage, analysing how many touches people are having, how many 'key passages of play'. Forget all that, even Real Madrid and Juventus were just lobbing the ball up the park. After all, its football, the aim is to get the ball in the oppositions net more times than they get it in ours.

Drop McKay. Ohalloran and Forrester on the wings. Miller and Garner/Waghorn up top. Get the ball swung in behind Toure and that other eejit. Millers superb at finding space in the box.

Agree. I think this is the one game we should go " back to front." Be strong,more physical,more direct. If we step off, they will just run at us all day long

11 hours ago, Skyson1872 said:

Neymar isn't exactly a powerhouse and he copes at the top level, Xabi Alonso isn't a speed demon but he has comfortably controlled midfields for years. You don't need to be a physically gifted person to get to the top, it helps, but in the end it's all down to ability.

aye, and that big bastard Messi uses his physical prowess all the time.

12 hours ago, GOAT said:

That's exactly the way I've always wanted Rangers to play.  Slick passing.  Always on top of the opposition, force them to make mistakes.

We started that way last season, we had a spell towards the end of last season we played the same way.  Then it disappeared, and it's been rotten this season.

whats changed?  Let's get right on top of them from the start on Sunday and force them to make the same mistakes.

great post made, thought exactly the same at the time, definitely beatable, force them into mistakes!

11 hours ago, borderbear said:

I agree, I think Waghorn will play with Mckay and Miller/ Garner. In the long run I think Dodoo will prove to be our best forward but the manager appears to have his favourites at least for now.

if Dodoo is to be classed as our best forward then we might as well fucking sack it now. almost every player we have just now should become a squad player after the summer bar 4/5 of them.

How long do people think we should put up with low expectations of the p;layers brought in to wear our shirt? This is the first year back, fair enough, stabilise a bit but after this season i expect money to be spent.

3 hours ago, Zulu said:

In relation to them i think we know we are underdogs so it wont change MWs position....not winning games against the lesser team in the league is what could be his undoing.

They are shite but with the pace they have up top they are going to score goals, the Germans arnt a Barcelona but they signed 2 players over 10 million in the summer and they are a far far better team than us, thats realistic.

13 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

Not got the players for it I don't think. Gladbach are riddled with quality footballers who can play that way. For as good as Holt and Halliday can be, they just don't have the technical ability to be that good on a ball like Gladbach's midfielders are 

Midfield of Halliday Holt and Windass could probably pull it off on their day.  a front 3 consisting of at least 2 of Waghorn, Mckay and Garner however .... :power_of_anguish:

2 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Midfield of Halliday Holt and Windass could probably pull it off on their day.  a front 3 consisting of at least 2 of Waghorn, Mckay and Garner however .... :power_of_anguish:

The thing about Waggy & McKay is we know they're capable of wonderful things, they're playing within themselves just now