*** The Official Rangers vs Dundee Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

5 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I can't really understand why anyone would value anticipation. reading of the game and control under pressure any less in a midfielder than in a central defender. It's a vulnerable position on the park and if you have a weak link there you're fucked. The fact that plenty of top class midfielders are shite as a holding midfielder seems like proof to me that not just anyone could do it.

Every good team has a good DM, it's not a coincidence.

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

Every good team has a good DM, it's not a coincidence.

That's not my point though. Even I know you can't have 4 wingers or 4 attacking midfielders playing across the midfield, that's stupid - but I don't really value the defensive midfielders who go through a game un-noticed and just really do the easy, tidy stuff.

It's a skill that's always been lost on me - not the value of a good defensive midfielder in general, that's not lost on me.

Just now, SouthamptonGer said:

Candeias was brilliant today. Pena needs to work on his passing but he got stuck in and nicked a goal.

Disappointing to lose the cleansheet but overall a very good display today.

Once Pena gets the weight of his passing right I think he'll be some player, and his positional sence in attacking positions is excellent, he could have got 3 today.

A good win and results went our way this weekend with the junkies, sheep and st Johnstone dropping point. Candeias arguably MOTM however good to see the wee man with another double.

Pena I really don't know about, he makes the simplest things look impossible and some of his passing really is abysmal. He popped up with a goal and does well to get into positions. 

Struggling to see what Dorrans actually brings to the team, Jack has been the better player in every game apart from Motherwell.

Kranjcar cannot start against the taigs, Miller is a bawhair away from never starting again. He is woefully slow and takes a year to hit a shot. 

Windass made a huge difference with the threat then coming from both wings.

All in all, fuck the pope.

25 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

I think Tav's contribution Today and generally this season has been fantastic he has always hadn't the talent and now that he isn't surrounded by shite like Halliday, Kiernan & Wilson he is a key player for us both going forward and defensively.

Are you Tav's da?

Your boy's no very good..... at anything.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

That's not my point though. Even I know you can't have 4 wingers or 4 attacking midfielders playing across the midfield, that's stupid - but I don't really value the defensive midfielders who go through a game un-noticed and just really do the easy, tidy stuff.

It's a skill that's always been lost on me - not the value of a good defensive midfielder in general, that's not lost on me.

I'm having a difficult time understanding your opinion on this mate, how many times have we heard the recognized star players in successful teams praising the importance of these guys value to the complete team effort, most are not flash but are happy to do the less obvious stuff and make sure that the players that can do it get on the ball.

Just now, slimjim1690 said:

I'm having a difficult time understanding your opinion on this mate, how many times have we heard the recognized star players in successful teams praising the importance of these guys value to the complete team effort, most are not flash but are happy to do the less obvious stuff and make sure that the players that can do it get on the ball.

What I am saying is I understand all good teams need a player to play that role, but good players playing that role offer more than going through a game where you don't notice them. Guys like Gerrard, Makalele, Xavi, Iniesta, Keane, Vieria who would have played that position for their teams at their peak and guys like Barry Ferguson second time round and Stuart McCall with us played that role but they stood out and you could see what they bring to the table.

Jack isn't a bad player but guys like him and Hemdani who used to play there for us too are a certain type of defensive midfielder who go un-noticed.

I don't want my defensive midfielders to be un-noticed and do small things/easy things. I look for something different defensive midfielders.

Some defensive midfielders like Jack and Hemdani, when in a bad team or when the teams had a bad result look terrible and when we have a comfortable win they look great to some - despite doing the exact same job and having the exact same standard of performance. 

As I said, it's just what you like in a player. It's not so much the position itself but the player playing it

Good result, good display. Would have been more comfortable earlier but for some bad finishing/choices.

Thought Morelos and Candeias were very good, with Wallace and Tavernier being very effective as well. 

Just back from the game.

A decent performance against an awful Dundee team but we have to play much better against the top teams.

I still have concerns about pace and creativity but at least we were a bit more clinical today.

Anyway I don't want to be too critical so well done Gers.

On a side note, a few of our fans could do with calming doon and drying their panties a wee bit.

You wonder what the continually screeching pantie wetters go to the game for. There was one guy (not that near me, but easy to hear nonetheless) that from about 15 minutes in till literally the last minute, even when 4 up, did nothing but nervously/angryily screech abuse towards any player in blue like some kind of angry crow.  Not a single positive comment during the whole game. You wonder what these types call themselves, because I'm not sure they can call themselves supporters. 

It's like they go to the game for the sole purpose of getting furious and giving themselves an aneurysm. 

You'd think at 4-0 up he'd shut up and look a bit sheepish, but naw. 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

What I am saying is I understand all good teams need a player to play that role, but good players playing that role offer more than going through a game where you don't notice them. Guys like Gerrard, Makalele, Xavi, Iniesta, Keane, Vieria who would have played that position for their teams at their peak and guys like Barry Ferguson second time round and Stuart McCall with us played that role but they stood out and you could see what they bring to the table.

Jack isn't a bad player but guys like him and Hemdani who used to play there for us too are a certain type of defensive midfielder who go un-noticed.

I don't want my defensive midfielders to be un-noticed and do small things/easy things. I look for something different defensive midfielders.

Some defensive midfielders like Jack and Hemdani, when in a bad team or when the teams had a bad result look terrible and when we have a comfortable win they look great to some - despite doing the exact same job and having the exact same standard of performance. 

As I said, it's just what you like in a player. It's not so much the position itself but the player playing it

I think I'm getting what you're saying, those players you have mentioned were a bit of an exception to the rule though and played in top class teams where they played in front of top class defenders whom they could trust whenever they took the urge to venture up the field, unfortunately we cannot even get close to signing anyone even remotely close in class, in our case our defence for the most part are pretty slow so our DM's have to curtail their urge to support when we attack and so are unlikely to get noticed.

26 minutes ago, Inigo said:

On a side note, a few of our fans could do with calming doon and drying their panties a wee bit.

You wonder what the continually screeching pantie wetters go to the game for. There was one guy (not that near me, but easy to hear nonetheless) that from about 15 minutes in till literally the last minute, even when 4 up, did nothing but nervously/angryily screech abuse towards any player in blue like some kind of angry crow.  Not a single positive comment during the whole game. You wonder what these types call themselves, because I'm not sure they can call themselves supporters. 

It's like they go to the game for the sole purpose of getting furious and giving themselves an aneurysm. 

You'd think at 4-0 up he'd shut up and look a bit sheepish, but naw. 

My old man just video called me then hung up after a few minutes because all he called me for was to complain about all the negatives from today and how we're still way off etc. I said something along the lines of "if we played badly today and won 4-1 I'll take us playing badly every single week" and he got pissed off at me :lol: . 

Don't really know what people want. We go out, we win comprehensively and people still find cause to be negative. There was literally a 3 minute spell at the start of the 2nd half that Dundee tried to come out and surprise us by having a go (and fair play to them) but we had 90 other minutes of complete dominance :lol: