Who should Rangers promote from their development squad?

King_gazza

Just been reading the DR report on our youth team (I know it's the DR but I'm bored in work) and they've highlighted 4 players that could at least make the bench in the last few weeks of the season. As stated in the Leicester U20's thread I'd like to see Rudden & Middleton replace MOH & Herrera.

Glenn Middleton

The obvious choice from the development squad is Glenn Middleton and he's surely knocking on the first team door. Since joining from Norwich in January, he's been a vital part of the development squad, scoring goals and creating chances. He's got a lot of work to do to break into the first team with Daniel Candeias and Jamie Murphy the starting wingers but there's no reason he shouldn't be included in the squad before the end of the season. He can play through the middle and he is so comfortable on either flank you wouldn't know which is the stronger.

With Kenny Miller suspended by the club and the likes of Joe Dodoo, Eduardo Herrera and Michael O'Halloran out of favour, Middleton provides another option to Murty and would get the fans excited towards the end of the season.

Zak Rudden

A hat trick against Leicester is just the latest scoring exploits for the talented big striker. Strong in the air with quick feet and an eye for goal, Rudden is one of the most highly-rated young players in the Scotland youth set-up. He can score with either foot or his head and was included in match day squads under Pedro Caixinha last season. He signed a new deal until 2020 and is tipped to have a big future. Stepping up to the first team as a striker isn't an easy thing to do but it might be worth giving a chance to a player as highly-rated as Rudden.

Kyle Bradley

The young centre back already has one first team appearance under his belt after making his debut in the 2-1 win over St Johnstone in the final game of last season. He spent time out on loan at Clyde at the beginning of this campaign before returning to Ibrox. Rangers had no centre backs on the bench for Sunday's win over Hearts and going into this weekend's game against celtic, that could be a big worry if Ross McCrorie or Russell Martin pick up a knock. Bradley might be inexperienced but he's a good modern day defender, he's strong in the tackle and good in the air but he can also play out from the back when needed.

Jack Thomson

The talented midfielder has struggled with injuries during his time at Ibrox but he's a real prospect and would probably have made his first team debut by now if it wasn't for those injury problems. He was first included in a squad under Mark Warburton at just 16 but never made it off the bench. Since then, he's been in squads on and off and even played a part in the Rangers legends game at Ibrox a few weeks ago. Midfield has been an area Rangers have struggled with recently with Greg Docherty losing a bit of form, Jason Holt in and out of the team and Graham Dorrans just returning from injury. Add in the injury problems of Ryan Jack and Ross McCrorie moving back to the centre of defence, an opportunity could arise for Thomson before the end of the season.

I've not really heard much about Thomson or Bradley, what's anyone's thoughts that watches the youth often? And is there any not on this list included that could make the grade?

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I’d be amazed if any of them are ready 

I would agree with you . I would be surprised if any of our youngsters from the U20s are part of the first team squad next season. I would think some of those mentioned might go out on loan next season.

Middleton, Rudden and moreso last year than recently Burt I'd say. And the Mccrorie lad that's keeper is getting great reviews.

Tbh I get the argument for getting them out on loan but only if good players are keeping them out the first team and first squad.

If you're a CH at development level right now surely to fuck there's an opportunity to be involved. Same goes with forwards right now as we have nothing other than Alfredo and Cummings.

I'm a believer in a 4th choice 1st team CH and CF promoted from development. But they must be given opportunities too not just sat on a bench at best no matter what.

I certainly rate Middleton. I saw him play for Scotland in an U19 game earlier this season and he was Scotland's best player.  He strikes me as being similar to Ryan Fraser at Bournemouth, not the biggest, but still strong, quick, direct, and with an eye for goal.

9 minutes ago, Capital Blu said:

I certainly rate Middleton. I saw him play for Scotland in an U19 game earlier this season and he was Scotland's best player.  He strikes me as being similar to Ryan Fraser at Bournemouth, not the biggest, but still strong, quick, direct, and with an eye for goal.

He certainly has a maturity about him, I agree.

1 minute ago, saltire266 said:

Atakayi and Burt

You serious? Burt hardly starts for Dumbarton.

Atakayi is a great wee player for the unders, but you seen in the Florida game he played which was a friendly at a slow tempo he was out his depth as it stands. Would like to see him break through but he's a long, long way from it.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

You serious? Burt hardly starts for Dumbarton.

Atakayi is a great wee player for the unders, but you seen in the Florida game he played which was a friendly at a slow tempo he was out his depth as it stands. Would like to see him break through but he's a long, long way from it.

Atakayi needs a few sub games to bring him on,we have development players who stay there for 5 or 6 years.Get them in the first team at 17 like other clubs same as B Ferguson age group.Surely they will have more dig and drive than half our bench never mind out first team.Look at McCrorie, Bates, Beerman.What happened to beerman?I thought him and John could battle for the LWB position

2 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

Atakayi needs a few sub games to bring him on,we have development players who stay there for 5 or 6 years.Get them in the first team at 17 like other clubs same as B Ferguson age group.Surely they will have more dig and drive than half our bench never mind out first team.Look at McCrorie, Bates, Beerman.What happened to beerman?I thought him and John could battle for the LWB position

Beerman is on loan to QOTS ... his performance in the 5-1 game was unforgivable. he'd never play again if it was upto me .... Bates was poor IMO he won't be playing Bundesliga for Hamburg, as someone else said they've signed him for the second tier. 

Barry Ferguson was that once in a generation talent. Charlie Adam came close I liked him when he broke through but he got a raw deal off the fans that thought they knew better.

I've not got a problem with someone like Atakayi being on the bench ahead of somecunt like O'Halloran. 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Beerman is on loan to QOTS ... his performance in the 5-1 game was unforgivable. he'd never play again if it was upto me .... Bates was poor IMO he won't be playing Bundesliga for Hamburg, as someone else said they've signed him for the second tier. 

Barry Ferguson was that once in a generation talent. Charlie Adam came close I liked him when he broke through but he got a raw deal off the fans that thought they knew better.

I've not got a problem with someone like Atakayi being on the bench ahead of somecunt like O'Halloran. 

Did we not have a RB in the youths Houston who was pretty good,if Tav gets injured we are fucked down that side.

3 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

Did we not have a RB in the youths Houston who was pretty good,if Tav gets injured we are fucked down that side.

Right and left backs who are capable defenders and have positional sense should be a priority in the summe after buying 2 good center halfs.

Was Aidan Wilson who played against St Johnstone was it not? Sure he got a game against Aberdeen too. He got shipped out to Dumarton and hasn't done too great by all accounts.

Young Stephen Kelly's name seems to be popping up everywhere at the moment. He could be one to look out for.

2 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

He’s had a few injuries missed a big part of the season. 

A few of them need to go out on loan. 

Really like the look of Stephen Kelly.