Gerrard agrees terms - unconfirmed

7 minutes ago, Loyal Bear 72 said:

He's right. I hate to say this but the team that beat us on Sunday was more or less Deila's team and most of them were written off before they got Rodgers in. Just because a player is not playing well doesn't mean he's shite and just because the team is playing shite doesn't mean they are all shite.

Don't buy that one

That team may have been similar to the present one but they were still winning trophies and picking up medals

Better players have been signed in key positions .

We have players that have played in countless big matches over quite a long period of time

I would suggest their big game records are as bad as 10% on winning  sides and 90% on losing sides .

That is my definition of a loser

All this carry one, if the board were serious about Gerrard he wouldn't be waiting until tomorrow to carry on discussions.

I can see this falling down at the last hurdle and then they panic and give to Mcleish for 1 year rolling.

9 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Don't buy that one

That team may have been similar to the present one but they were still winning trophies and picking up medals

Better players have been signed in key positions .

We have players that have played in countless big matches over quite a long period of time

I would suggest their big game records are as bad as 10% on winning  sides and 90% on losing sides .

That is my definition of a loser

It's not just similar. 10 out of the 11 that started for them on Sunday were signed by Delia. The league was a certainty anyway due to lack of competition and the size of their squad. In the cups they did not do well and many of the players were probably considered shite.

Basically my point is the right manager can turn a player around. A players form does not necessarily show his ability. Many of these players will have to go but there not all shite.

celtic went down this desperate gamble path with a footballing legend in John Barnes. Sure he was up against a Ranger side in their pomp. Sure he was like a lamb to the slaughter.

SG might have more about him, might be mentally tougher, might have the ability to lure players and coaching staff. Might even inspire the players we have. Might even pull off a few amazing results.... there's a lot of 'mights' in there. Too many for a club of Rangers aspirations and history.

However this board and the men who are 'running' Rangers will take the gamble. If it pays off all well and good but we've run too many gambling situations with Warburton, Pedro C, Joey Barton, Niko, Alves, Pena, Murty already: all high risk - great if it works - oh well - deflect if it doesn't.

9 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

:lol:Fuck up. He’s got contractual obligations with BT, as you well know ya mess.

not like BT could be compensated for it and I doubt it means much financially to break and come to angreement over.

Was easy enough for Neville to keep his role with Sky and go to Spain, why should Gerrard and BT be more complicated than that?

14 minutes ago, I-AM-ONE said:

All this carry one, if the board were serious about Gerrard he wouldn't be waiting until tomorrow to carry on discussions.

I can see this falling down at the last hurdle and then they panic and give to Mcleish for 1 year rolling.

Aye he’s just to leave his current employers high n dry to continue talks 

1 minute ago, WWTC said:

Aye he’s just to leave his current employers high n dry to continue talks 

Like I said I can't imagine their terms are that strict and I doubt it's BT that would need paying off, if anyone needs compensation it would be Liverpool as they are his employers.

He's a paid guest of BT nothing more.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

I don’t see the harm in waiting until tomorrow if he’s maybe in Rome tonight for Liverpool game.

It would be good to announce him in person with the scarf above his head at Ibrox or training ground - I’ve no problem waiting until tomorrow if so be. 

That's fair enough but given how long the rumoured talks have been then surely that's an indictment to how bad the board are handling his potential hiring as manager?.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I don’t see the harm in waiting until tomorrow if he’s maybe in Rome tonight for Liverpool game.

It would be good to announce him in person with the scarf above his head at Ibrox or training ground - I’ve no problem waiting until tomorrow if so be. 

That’s what will happen he’s 100% in Rome tonight. 

I will be surprised if he’s not announced before Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, I-AM-ONE said:

Like I said I can't imagine their terms are that strict and I doubt it's BT that would need paying off, if anyone needs compensation it would be Liverpool as they are his employers.

He’s been part of the panel all season, why would he have to drop all that to speak to us? I dont see the issue in a couple of days wait, for all we know his advisors are still in discussions, he’s asked for more information on things, anything. I hope to fuck he doesnt ask for a day to think over it or some people on here will go into meltdown!

8 minutes ago, I-AM-ONE said:

Would you ditch a guaranteed wage for an interview, not only a wage but a holiday aswell almost to watch the team you support? you don’t even need to answer cos if you say you would, yer talking pish!

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Our board are useless cunts but it’s not as long as folk seem to think - we approached him last week according to reports and he’s been up twice in that time for talks and waited on reassurances on budgets and 3 other issues, got clarity on them and has been in Madrid and Rome in this time for BT too before maybe being announced tomorrow

thats not bad going at all in my book time wise 

Tbf, you make a strong point.

Thing is though why would need such assurances, why can't they have been open and transparent in the first place?

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Our board are useless cunts but it’s not as long as folk seem to think - we approached him last week according to reports and he’s been up twice in that time for talks and waited on reassurances on budgets and 3 other issues, got clarity on them and has been in Madrid and Rome in this time for BT too before maybe being announced tomorrow

thats not bad going at all in my book time wise 

Exactly 

37 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

celtic went down this desperate gamble path with a footballing legend in John Barnes. Sure he was up against a Ranger side in their pomp. Sure he was like a lamb to the slaughter.

SG might have more about him, might be mentally tougher, might have the ability to lure players and coaching staff. Might even inspire the players we have. Might even pull off a few amazing results.... there's a lot of 'mights' in there. Too many for a club of Rangers aspirations and history.

However this board and the men who are 'running' Rangers will take the gamble. If it pays off all well and good but we've run too many gambling situations with Warburton, Pedro C, Joey Barton, Niko, Alves, Pena, Murty already: all high risk - great if it works - oh well - deflect if it doesn't.

Appointing any manager is a risk

35 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

He stated on BT that talks would resume on Thursday so I can see us still discussing this next week.

1 minute ago, gj923 said:

He stated on BT that talks would resume on Thursday so I can see us still discussing this next week.

Did he? I didn’t see it - was only reacting to people saying he will be getting confirmed tomorrow 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Did he? I didn’t see it - was only reacting to people saying he will be getting confirmed tomorrow 

So he says the conversation will be picked up on Thursday

3 minutes ago, gj923 said:

I got the impression that was basically a "it's getting announced on Thursday". Hardly going to break the news himself while he's on the BT champions league show is he?

Also a wee grin when asked about it which, to me anyway, made it look like he'd told the other guys there that he's going to be the next Rangers manager.

Just now, JC10 said:

I got the impression that was basically a "it's getting announced on Thursday". Hardly going to break the news himself while he's on the BT champions league show is he?

Also a wee grin when asked about it which, to me anyway, made it look like he'd told the other guys there that he's going to be the next Rangers manager.

He is media savvy so he will always politely answer questions without giving too much away or annoying anyone. I took it as there has been conversations with us which will continue this Thursday.

Gerrard will have people guiding his career so there will be a lot of questions asked especially after the weekend and today which will drag this out beyond this weekend.

1 hour ago, Loyal Bear 72 said:

It's not just similar. 10 out of the 11 that started for them on Sunday were signed by Delia. The league was a certainty anyway due to lack of competition and the size of their squad. In the cups they did not do well and many of the players were probably considered shite.

Basically my point is the right manager can turn a player around. A players form does not necessarily show his ability. Many of these players will have to go but there not all shite.

I guess you would give Tav and Fod some more chances then ??

That would be our 4th managers working with them ?