Gerrard agrees terms - unconfirmed

12 minutes ago, markem said:

Honestly feel that you are making my point, and very well at that.  

I have made my points I view as relevant as many others have in the Manager thread, it’s there to be seen if you are interested. 

My frustrations aren’t with those who are saying he’s not for them and offering some context, there are many valid points against, they 100% deserve stated, heard and considered - I for one can relate to some of the points.   What is doing my head in is the many that are making points like, well to be honest like you just have ‘fantasy in their head’ - it doesn’t for a second strike you that there are many loyal, smart enough bears out there able to consider the points and arrive at a different conclusion? they exist by the way - Just idiots with fantasy in their head? 

im smart enough to not be waxxing lyrical about a conpletely inexperienced manager

its mostly young fans who are just cringey

he has no qualifications, its a roll of the dice and if anyone is over confident then they are fantasists

3 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

im smart enough to not be waxxing lyrical about a conpletely inexperienced manager

he has no qualifications, its a roll of the dice and if anyone is over confident then they are fantasists

Yeah it probably is the younger one's.

I too was a young thing when Souness arrived and I was simply overjoyed, it was amazing, absolutely amazing 

8 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

It’s not the point of view against the appointment that’s bothering me, it’s getting told why I am of a different opinion which is happening fairly often. 

I agree with you that over confidence in this situation would be definitely foolish and unconsidered.  

16 minutes ago, MisterC said:

I think no matter who takes over, there's always a risk. Even a so-called steady pair of hands comes with no guarantees of success. Plenty managers have started at youth level and then been given a top job and have done well so there's no reason to exclude Stevie G on that basis. He will need the board to be on the ball and that's what worries me as if there isn't proper support from above then he's already working with one hand tied behind his back.

Spot on. 

To be fair Rodgers was a risk as well, and before him Ronnie Delia was a risk. Only difference was the money available and the sort of competition celtic have had i.e. no competition whatsoever. With Rangers out of the way it could easily be argued that celtic have had no opposition, no challenge, and no need to concern themselves over having a manager or team of the highest calibre - just basically better than Aberdeen. 

Rangers have come back from the edge of destruction and it was never going to happen immediately that we overtook that team from the east end. 

How many times this season have Rangers had their best team all fully fit and ready to go? Maybe once. Just as various individual players began to get into their stride we had injuries and no depth of squad. Bates and Wilson might not have been the best defenders in the world but we didn't need to lose them before the last games where it really mattered. Dorrans, Jack, McCrorie, Declan John, I mean no excuses for lying down and rolling over but Halliday and people like that were last resort: scraping the barrel. We need a manager who has been given a better depth of squad than that. Young players like Morelos need put beside established pro players who can bring them on and Cummings needs to be sent on his way. 

If SG comes in I'll be looking closely at the defence and midfield he starts to build. 

1 minute ago, markem said:

It’s not the point of view against the appointment that’s bothering me, it’s getting told why I am of a different opinion which is happening fairly often. 

I agree with you that over confidence in this situation would be definitely foolish and unconsidered.  

because you clearly cant justify your opinion. Ive told you why i disagree and youve given no reply 

5 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

To be fair Rodgers was a risk as well, and before him Ronnie Delia was a risk. Only difference was the money available and the sort of competition celtic have had i.e. no competition whatsoever. With Rangers out of the way it could easily be argued that celtic have had no opposition, no challenge, and no need to concern themselves over having a manager or team of the highest calibre - just basically better than Aberdeen. 

Rangers have come back from the edge of destruction and it was never going to happen immediately that we overtook that team from the east end. 

How many times this season have Rangers had their best team all fully fit and ready to go? Maybe once. Just as various individual players began to get into their stride we had injuries and no depth of squad. Bates and Wilson might not have been the best defenders in the world but we didn't need to lose them before the last games where it really mattered. Dorrans, Jack, McCrorie, Declan John, I mean no excuses for lying down and rolling over but Halliday and people like that were last resort: scraping the barrel. We need a manager who has been given a better depth of squad than that. Young players like Morelos need put beside established pro players who can bring them on and Cummings needs to be sent on his way. 

If SG comes in I'll be looking closely at the defence and midfield he starts to build. 

I agree with most of that, Cummings I would throw a lifeline to.

1 hour ago, markem said:

Listening to people say ‘you only want Gerrard as he was a good player’ for me is like listening to a yes voter tell you you’re ‘scared’ to vote yes.  Not only do they want to tell you that you’re wrong (which is fair enough if they believe it) they want to tell you why you have made your decision (that’s the infuriating bit) like you’re an idiot unable to consider all the relevant points of which there are many, mainly because you don’t agree with them.

Shitty comparison to make I know but ffs there are more points to this other than him being a good player.  

Sooner this is done with one way or the other the better.......for my sanity anyway.  

Good point. Some people think their opinions are more valuable than others.

Just now, With Heart and Hand said:

because you clearly cant justify your opinion. Ive told you why i disagree and youve given no reply 

No I said I have already done so in the manager thread, like many others have.  Like many experienced ex pros have, like David Edgar and the lads he broadcasts with have, that list could go on.......if you don’t accept there are other points to be considered (not necessarily accepted) after a week of this me listing them again isn’t going to convince you. 

We will need to agree to disagree or just disagree, I’ll say it again. I do not object to the alternative point of view on this, tbh I could probably be convinced - I object to being told I am so thick that only because I think he is a good player he will be a good manager.  It’s dismissive and very wide of the mark. 

4 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Good point. Some people think their opinions are more valuable than others.

For me disagreement and debate is healthy, what’s not, is dismissiveness and you’re a thick cunt as you don’t agree me with me attitude that we see fairly often and in particular around this subject.  

11 minutes ago, markem said:

No I said I have already done so in the manager thread, like many others have.  Like many experienced ex pros have, like David Edgar and the lads he broadcasts with have, that list could go on.......if you don’t accept there are other points to be considered (not necessarily accepted) after a week of this me listing them again isn’t going to convince you. 

We will need to agree to disagree or just disagree, I’ll say it again. I do not object to the alternative point of view on this, tbh I could probably be convinced - I object to being told I am so thick that only because I think he is a good player he will be a good manager.  It’s dismissive and very wide of the mark. 

im asking you what makes you think he will be a good manager for us, based on his qualifications, not his name or reputation, his qualifications 

can you tell me why you think hes a good appointment or not? What in his CV makes you think hes qualified for the job?

do you think hes a good appointment and if so why?

4 minutes ago, markem said:

For me disagreement and debate is healthy, what’s not, is dismissiveness and you’re a thick cunt as you don’t agree me with me attitude that we see fairly often and in particular around this subject.  

Yep. Happy to have debate with people but when they’re arrogant or ignorant it’s absolutley pointless.

26 minutes ago, Sket said:

I wish people would stop comparing this to Souness :sarcasm:

ive always thought him being appointed was quite bizarre. Even tho it turned out great

over the past years ive asked many Bears if they would accept another player manager, even if it was someone like Messi or Ronaldo and most said no, because Souness was something special at the time

Gerrard is no Souness and its ignorant to make the comparison 

47 minutes ago, MisterC said:

I think no matter who takes over, there's always a risk. Even a so-called steady pair of hands comes with no guarantees of success. Plenty managers have started at youth level and then been given a top job and have done well so there's no reason to exclude Stevie G on that basis. He will need the board to be on the ball and that's what worries me as if there isn't proper support from above then he's already working with one hand tied behind his back.

So...

There's a risk of falling from doing a hand stand on a table, so you're as well just doing a handstand on top of a  bridge?

Sound logic, and typical thinking from the pro Gerrard group :duh:

Just now, Jack The Flipper said:

So...

There's a risk of falling from doing a hand stand on a table, so you're as well just doing a handstand on top of a  bridge?

Sound logic, and typical thinking from the pro Gerrard group :duh:

I'm part of no group least of all a pro Gerrard one. He's far from being an ideal candidate but being in the role he is now does not stop him from potentially doing a good job.

54 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

And anyone writing him off already is a fucking great pain in the arse.

1 hour ago, markem said:

Listening to people say ‘you only want Gerrard as he was a good player’ for me is like listening to a yes voter tell you you’re ‘scared’ to vote yes.  Not only do they want to tell you that you’re wrong (which is fair enough if they believe it) they want to tell you why you have made your decision (that’s the infuriating bit) like you’re an idiot unable to consider all the relevant points of which there are many, mainly because you don’t agree with them.

Shitty comparison to make I know but ffs there are more points to this other than him being a good player.  

Sooner this is done with one way or the other the better.......for my sanity anyway.  

Some simply can't or won't do big picture, as it doesn't suit the narrative.

None of this deal is about finding out if Stevie G is suitable or not, but all about him finding out if we are suitable. Some fucking rookie who can command such power.

There is serious change in the wind and not before time and Stevie G is key to it. It appears a business transformation is underway and football the least of it. We are simply pratted and without serious investment there is no football to speak of.

Our financial affairs need serious restructuring, as the current financial model is simply unsustainable. 

To conclude, the detractors can berate Stevie G all they want and is their right, but they miss the big picture. We simply need money before we need a manager and Stevie G is the key to unlocking it. Without him it doesn't happen. I like the guy for his talent, but most of all his character in  being a leader of men. He reminds me of Souness in that and look how that turned out. If that doesn't excite, nothing will.

This deal is happening, as there is no other get out of jail free card. King is sitting right at the TOP of a financial clusterfuck and some would do well to remember that, if they can get up the food chain.