The Negativity On Here

I’ve come to the conclusion that a lot of people still consider us to be the free spending power house of the 90s and early 00s and that we should have the quality on the pitch to reflect that. Unfortunately and as sad as it is, we never will have superstars playing for us anymore. We play in a footballing backwater, have been completely mismanaged on and off the pitch and don’t have a pot to piss in. People need to temper their expectations in line with a realistic consideration of where we are as a club nowadays. 

For example on the pitch that will reflect as players that are ok but far from being top level ie Tav not a bad player, has good potential but frustrating as fuck defensively and on the whole inconsistent.  There’s a reason he’s playing for us and not in the premier league in England. 

3 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I watched the game last night and it was a hard fought win, we defended superbly at times bar a few poor moments especially from Tav...then again he created the goal. We know he isn't a good defender and at his age isn't going to turn into one so we just have to accept that. Keeper made some crucial saves and we took one of the very few chances we created. Away from home in Europe at this stage of the season that's a great result, clean sheet and an away goal, not many if any could paint that as anything other than job well done.

However some of the post praising Coubouily and Kent I thought were over the top, they didn't really do much in my eyes. The three standout players last night were McGregor, Morelos and Goldson for me, those 3 made the difference. Still lots of room for improvement

Totally agree with all of that mate, but that's a shocking bit of spelling :lol:

I can totally understand the negativity given the past few years we have been through.

Canny expect people to not be sceptical just because we have won a couple of games, and not hugely convincingly may i add.

I do agree though that it becomes "Fashionable" to target certain players e.g Windass

5 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I watched the game last night and it was a hard fought win, we defended superbly at times bar a few poor moments especially from Tav...then again he created the goal. We know he isn't a good defender and at his age isn't going to turn into one so we just have to accept that. Keeper made some crucial saves and we took one of the very few chances we created. Away from home in Europe at this stage of the season that's a great result, clean sheet and an away goal, not many if any could paint that as anything other than job well done.

However some of the post praising Coubouily and Kent I thought were over the top, they didn't really do much in my eyes. The three standout players last night were McGregor, Morelos and Goldson for me, those 3 made the difference. Still lots of room for improvement

Spot on with the comments re Coulibaly. Some of our support are so fickle. Lets make a judgement on the lad after we’ve seen him play a dozen games. He did nothing out of the ordinary last night. So the same people that are hailing him as the next Kante will be the same crowd that label him pish after a bad game. There seems to be no middle ground with some of our support. How many times has somebody been labelled amazing after one game. Seen it with Jeremy Clement after a game against hearts in PLGs era, seen it with McCrorie, ffs I even remember Jack getting the same plaudits! 

8 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Far better result than people are realising tbh.

Osijek probably sit somewhere between Aberdeen and celtic quality wise. So winning away and keeping a clean sheet in a two-legged tie is a quality result.

Aye,and i read somewhere last night that that's the first time since 2000 that Osijek have failed to score in a home european tie.That makes the clean sheet even better.

48 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I think a lot of the criticisms are justified to be honest as we’ve been pretty poor in the games albeit undefeated - we are going to come up a right cropper first decent team we play 

Morelos looked back on form last night but that midfield and attack force looks shocking imo especially the midfield it’s all far too dogged with no creativity 

these are easy games we are playing just now 

Based on what? 

Given the last few years we've had I don't think we're in a position to class any game as 'easy' and I include Shkupi in that. 

13 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Based on what? 

Given the last few years we've had I don't think we're in a position to class any game as 'easy' and I include Shkupi in that. 

Fuck it I am going to say it, every time I see Shkupi I say "Shkpi doopee doo!"in my head, fucking annoying me now.

48 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

They are a middle of the road side who has a good leg against PSV a year ago - that’s it - loads of people myself included said before the game Osijek aren’t anything special and last night showed it 

don’t get me wrong, on the grand scheme going away to Croatia and winning 1-0 is never a bad result but we have so much improving to do and some don’t see it because of these results against piss poor sides 

The filth aside, they were as good as we’ll face in the league this season IMO. 

I usually think positive to my detriment and end up looking a fanny months later when the manager gets sacked , so I'll temper my enthusiasm .

Its been a positive start . I can't say we've looked exciting or looked like we've controlled a game , outside of Bury . But we have been professional in getting the job done , which we'd all pick in these early days while players are still getting to know each other and SG's style of play . 

The defense is the stand out , not conceding goals against teams where we'd , and other Scottish teams , usually struggle against . That'll be worth a dozen or so points this season , I reckon .  Going forward , I still think we lack a bit of creativity , but hopefully that will come once the season starts without the pressure of cup games , where if you lose , you're out . If we can get a run of league games to build up momentum , and more importantly , confidence , then I think the attacking side of things will pick up .

Early days yet , but I think we've laid a solid foundation to a positive season . 

We're 3 games into the season under new management and a big turnaround in players and some folk are expecting us to be a well oiled machine already.

It's actually embarrassing...... half the cunt just moan for the sake of moaning and the other half no fuck all about football.

That was a textbook away European performance last night. Not everyone was at their best but as a team we done most things right. We managed to keep a clean sheet and nick a quality away goal.

Get behind the team, have a bit of patience and take the positives from the game.

54 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

It’s weird. It’s almost like post admin we’ve expected even more. If we aren’t battering all opposition home and away by multiple goals every game then we’re shite. 

Even in the Smith and Advocaat years we didn’t steamroll everybody with far greater resources than we do now. We lost games. Under WS particularly some of the performances would make your eyes bleed. 

I think we forget that at times. 

Might be a generational thing for some of the youngsters. Didn’t live through 9IAR, so just have this vision of us battering everyone with our world class players. It wasn’t like that though, and won’t ever be like that. Lower leagues and what we went through seem to have fucked a lot of people’s perspectives. 

That's a great post. I think we've probably all got rose tinted specs. There were some shocking campaigns in the past with vastly superior squads. 

We are still in preseason in fitness and getting up to match speed. The defense is much improved but we need to see how it is against the teams that done us last season. The midfield have still to show what they have got but 1 or 2 showed some glimpses of hard tackling and winning the fight in the middle of the park. Morelos  took 1 of the few chances he had and worked hard, may be the manager had a word and may be the other lad we got in is a real threat to taking his place. We are improving but I am still not sure how good or bad we are but I was pleased to see us grind out an away victory in Europe. We may be in preseason fitness wise but in reality we are in the season now and we need to get up to full speed.

It's called being realistic, we are untested and just because the team as a whole is winning doesn't mean that every single player will be good enough going forward.

It's equally as embarrassing to break our backs to defend absolute wasters who have disgraced the jersey or fall into the same trap of getting over excited by mediocrity.

I've yet to see anyone be overly harsh, just a lot of fans who aren't gullible bastards

I think negativity is understandable to an extent due to the false dawns. It constantly feels like we are on the up before we are let down horribly.

We need a big big win for the negativity to be washed out on the most part. Beating Aberdeen on day one is a must.

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Is utterly embarrassing tbh, most can't wait to put the boot in weirdly enough. 

Discuss. 

I’d say some in our support might have forgot how to enjoy watching Rangers. To be honest after the last 7 years and so many false dawns it’s no huge surprise (or criticism) but I do believe that. 

Think a very healthy helping of caution is right, god knows I’ve been stung with all in foolish optimism plenty of times however there needs to be a bit of balance. If your mindset is to constantly and immediately look for faults.......well it must be tough going. 

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I agree we have to improve, the result was overall better then the performance last night, although I would say the performance wasnt bad.

Its just that the criticism could be a little more constructive and upbeat. Its depressing as fuck at times!

For instance, some of Tavs defending was poor and it could have cost us, but some of it was actually decent, and he put in a marvelous ball to get us the win. I feel that many on his back refuse to even acknowledged the good that he done and just absolutely slate him. It has to be balanced.

Cleared one off the line that last season would have been a goal because he would have wandering around aimlessly. It's a work in progress and it looks better now than it has for years. Still a long way to go but the way people are slating players is out of order.