30 years ago today

There are some things in your life that happen in history were you remember where you were at that moment when you first heard the news, JFK, Martin Luther King assassinations, first landing on the moon, etc. this was another, the younger fans nowadays could never imagine the impact of the signing of Maurice Johnson.

I was on holiday in  Spain and saw the DR headline on a newspaper stand, the day after it happened. No internet and weekly calls home meant you didn’t get instant info at that time but still a complete WTF moment, paper bought and read back at pool.  As above, you remember where you were at certain times when major stories happen and this was huge, even if the catholic signing thing was a misnomer. 

35 minutes ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

His debut match for us was that famous game against Tottenham, with Gazza, and there was supposed to be a major boycott , yet there wasn't a spare seat in the whole stadium.

Fucking love Souness!!

We wore a unique home kit that day that didn’t have the chequerboard design woven into the fabric.

Never used again.

39 minutes ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

His debut match for us was that famous game against Tottenham, with Gazza, and there was supposed to be a major boycott , yet there wasn't a spare seat in the whole stadium.

Fucking love Souness!!

He played against Airdrie in a friendly the week before

Probably a good thing for club and country.  The world is changing and we had to change with it or decline.  Still hold Graham Souness in high regard for his courage in making this signing.  And Mo was a good player too.  I think he lives in the US these days.

Before Boris there was Maurice and dare I say it he was even more controversial :dance:

I was out on the piss the night before the signing and still remember my old mum waking me with the news and thinking I was still dreaming :lol:

Master stroke making our first high profile RC one that would stick in timothy's craw because I'm sure many of them had waited years to gloat but there would be none of that with Mo :pipe:

3 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Probably a good thing for club and country.  The world is changing and we had to change with it or decline.  Still hold Graham Souness in high regard for his courage in making this signing.  And Mo was a good player too.  I think he lives in the US these days.

Interesting that John Aldridge became Real Sociedad's first non  Basque 2 months later

4 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

There are some things in your life that happen in history were you remember where you were at that moment when you first heard the news, JFK, Martin Luther King assassinations, first landing on the moon, etc. this was another, the younger fans nowadays could never imagine the impact of the signing of Maurice Johnson.

One of the directors at the place where I worked then had a season ticket in the directors box and was well connected.

Got called into his office in the afternoon and told to take a seat. There's me thinking shit I must be in bother and he then spills the beans on the signing.

Gobsmacked's an understatement.  

I was talking about this signing in work today. Said that MoJo was a great player and the taigs were foamin’ at the mouth...the most bitter bastards out there and still holding a grudge 30 years on. Can’t remember who the poster was  but someone on here said a few nights ago that him signing for us changed them more than it changed us...agreed. Took their bitterness to unprecedented levels.

That one signing opened a door for so many players whom we might not otherwise have signed - Amo - Amato - Cannigia - McCann to name just a few  AND at the same time inflicted a psychological blow to the beasts which still rankles them today.  Pure genius.