Ricksen passed away

Escobar

6 minutes ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

Good to know my memory isn't completely fucked after all then lol

I mind watching that game in Bert's bar in Edinburgh with my flatmate who was a jambo. Needless to say he was raging and nearly lamped me when I was praising Dallas for that decision :lol: well taken penalty, kept his cool and kept us in the title race. Hero.

21 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Don't know if already posted, but a really poignant piece fromĀ  The Guardian, well written by Stuart James. Been bottling it all day, but that article got me - particularly about his wee girl. What a bastard of a disease, and no matter how much you "hate" other people for whatever reason - it just pales into insignificance when you read about what Fernando and others have and are going through with MND.Ā  You simply would not like to see anyone suffering with it. RIP Fernando, you are at peace now.

Ā 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/18/fernando-ricksen-death-motor-neurone-disease-heartbreak-relief

Very touching article, thanks for posting it. Ā 

ā€˜Amid the overwhelming sense of sadness after the news of Ricksenā€™s death became public came a reminder of his reply to another question in that interview: when the awful day comes, some people will feel that you are in a better place, that you are no longer suffering and finally have peace. What would you say to that?

ā€œThey are absolutely right,ā€ Ricksen said.

2 hours ago, Sweettartangirl said:

There are loads more, but some lovely tributes from his teammates here as well as Twitter and various other sites. We have some lovely memories to reflect upon.Ā 

A collection of childhood heroes there man. That was a tough but movingĀ read .Ā 

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Very touching article, thanks for posting it. Ā 

ā€˜Amid the overwhelming sense of sadness after the news of Ricksenā€™s death became public came a reminder of his reply to another question in that interview: when the awful day comes, some people will feel that you are in a better place, that you are no longer suffering and finally have peace. What would you say to that?

ā€œThey are absolutely right,ā€ Ricksen said.

I was reading that and shed a few tears when I read that last bit.Ā 

10 minutes ago, Spliffy said:

Fernando's tribute match was the first time in a long time it felt like Rangers again. We're getting there now, but I distinctly remember that day being a reminder of what it should be like. Whatever that means, I thank him for that memory and feeling.

We'd been through so much, on field/off the field and the truly abysmal football we had to endure. That day and occasion, with the man himself taking kick off and the gasped silence when he fell, was a complete tumble dryer of emotions.

Seeing his ex teammates carrying him round each corner of the famous stadium to applause and admiration of all inside was the first time I felt like we were ourselves again. It's very difficult to articulate, but that Ricksen charity match to me was special. Not only did it simultaneously put our footballing woes into perspective, it also reminded us of what we are as a support and how special aĀ  club it is. And no shyster cunt con man, spiv or charlatan could touch that feeling, thank God.

They gave him 18 months, he fought like fuck for 6 years.

No Surrender Fernando Ricksen

Think I had something in my eye when he was carried round,understand what you mean about feeling like Rangers again to an extent,was like all the different factions in support bonded in unity again,the way it should be and seems to have been sinceĀ 

So sad. You fought so hard Fernando. A true warrior, and what resilience you showed both on and off the park. Who'd have thought after that early hook at parkhead how vital you would become for us. Forever grateful. I hope you are at peace now. Thoughts with the family. šŸ’™